120fps

• To start off, I’m not a super pro player, so the answers might lay there.

I’ve seen people say under 120fps is “garbage”, or similar. This confuses the hell out of me. I simply don’t understand why people seem to think this. 120+fps can be seriously hard to maintain for any engine, even something like UE3 which over 7 years old. It’s not that it can’t reach 120, or maintain it for long periods, it’s that to maintain gameplay, fidelity, AI, similar overheads, AND never drop under 120fps requires serious gear, and serious optimisation (something we know Civ lacks).

Unlocked framerate tends to jump around a lot. Sometimes it’ll be ~120, other it’ll drop down to ~80 or even ~60 if you have a lot of AI scripting kicking in, or some serious rendering going on. This jittering framerate is highly noticeable, and I suspect some complaints about low FPS are linked to this. Ever been playing at 60fps, then suddenly have it drop to 40 and head back up? You really notice it. It’s the same thing, the numbers are irrelevant in that situation. You are more likely to notice the change, than the inherent difference.

This is why fps is often locked. It’s to maintain consistency, to make sure that the frames don’t jump around too much and become noticeable. For most players, for most games 60+ is satisfactory; a minimum most devs shoot for, and hence why lots of engines are default capped to it. If you are finding the game difficult to play with it uncapped, try re-capping it to 60. It may feel smoother and play better. You’ll lose the unpredictability jumping fps causes.

So, can someone explain to me why people care so much about 120fps? I’m not wanting an argument, or calling anyone out, or making fun of people. I just keep seeing people saying the game is unplayable under 120fps, which makes no sense to me. The answer could be as simple as “bigger numbers make me feel better”, or it could be pro player “we need it for dodging and fainting etc”.

• You can see more frames with higher fps.

• If your monitor is locked at 60Hz or 70Hz like most of them, your 120fps are useless anyway 'cause your screen won’t be able to refresh fast enough to display all the frames. You can see a difference, but not that important. So IMO, no need to go beyond your monitor refresh rate.

• To put it short:

120 fps makes mouse input much smoother
    thus you are able to be way more precise
    which is very beneficial for a drag fag like me

I have a 60Hz monitor, so don’t know how things ‘look’ with higher refresh rates, but I can definitely ‘feel’ it.

That said, once i was able to get over 200fps on most maps. Patch after patch, the performance got worse and now it dips below 60 here and there, which makes the game unplayable for me, since I lack the much needed realtime swing control I once had.

• You can do faster strafe jumps with 125 fps.

• I don’t understand… How were you able to get 200fps and now have drops under 60 ? Oo
    I have a decent graphic card but not a beast (GTX 660Ti), I unlocked fps to get a good solid 75 and it never went below 60… With graphic settings maxed out.

• Torn Banner magic

• I’m the first one to criticize their work on weapon balance and gameplay related stuff, but I never had fps problems.
    The only people I heard complaining about optimization were people playing on shitty config not made for gaming.

I’m a little surprised when I hear that you were able to get 200fps and now have drops below 60…

• @elwebbaro:

To put it short:

120 fps makes mouse input much smoother
    thus you are able to be way more precise
    which is very beneficial for a drag fag like me

Yeah, I thought it was something like this. I don’t play chiv at a very high level so that kind of thing gets lost in the lmb spam.

• less input delay, you see more frames

if you have 120 hz then 120 fps is a no brainer, chiv is quite a competitive game and alot of the comp players have 120 hz

afaik 60 fps isnt garbage, but 120 fps is definetly a much much better playing experience in chiv

60hz is more a thing of the past in 2014 really

• @CRUSHED:

chiv is quite a competitive game

Best joke I’ve heard in a while.

• @CRUSHED:

chiv is quite a competitive game

LOLOLOLOLO HOHOHOHOH

• Well, Chivalry is competitive by nature… but its lack of consistency makes it a not-so-good competitive game.

• its competitive competitive, not so good mainstream competitive

• @LaPoutre:

LOLOLOLOLO HOHOHOHOH

if you think this game isn’t competitive then fight me without rage quitting, i’ll make you cry boy.

• @ashvins:

if you think this game isn’t competitive then fight me without rage quitting, i’ll make you cry boy.

Lel. Listen everyone, if you are better than someone in any activity, it’s a competitive one my friends ! XD

• @LaPoutre:

Lel. Listen everyone, if you are better than someone in any activity, it’s a competitive one my friends ! XD

Perhaps you, good ser, should take a moment and read what you just wrote.

• the mouse input is SUPER important in most competitive games, in cod4 people tried to get consistent 125 fps

the higher your fps the more responsive your mouse seems to be

• @zombojoe:

the mouse input is SUPER important in most competitive games, in cod4 people tried to get consistent 125 fps

the higher your fps the more responsive your mouse seems to be

I don’t see how higher fps could influence mouse input… Did you experience that ?

• @LaPoutre:

I don’t see how higher fps could influence mouse input… Did you experience that ?

its been my experience with 99% of games yes

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.