2h sword animations (idle, walk, run and rebound)

• i think everyones sorta given up on these or gotten used to them but one thing i think could be worked in that was imo better than current ones and easily describable were the idle, walk, run and rebound animations on these weapons. the walk/run animations looked smoother while the current ones are stiff and look like the guy has his elbows stuck in place. with the old ones when you go from walk to run, it looks like the dude brings the sword closer to his chest, which helps realism, which i think is nice for something purely aesthetic with no gameplay consequences. and by rebound animations i mean the animation that plays after you hit another weapon or the ground or whatever. the current one doesnt look like it bounces back as far as the old ones. less noticeable, but still there. i know these are all aesthetic and we need a balance patch more than anything but if tb has some animator sitting around bored maybe these can be worked in on the side.

random video with old anims for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbJzMvF7ni4

thoughts? anyone care?

• Old ones yes pls

• Even though I don’t dislike the current animation set(not including the bugs/clipping), I would like to see some more polished/readable animations.

• @randomlvl40+:

Even though I don’t dislike the current animation set(not including the bugs/clipping), I would like to see some more polished/readable animations.

These are first person animations we’re talking about.

• Old animations were soooo graceful.

New ones are sluggish looking.

• @JimmyTryhard:

Old animations were soooo graceful.

New ones are sluggish looking.

Yaaaaa choppy or something. Clumsy? They’re just gross for 2h swords. Got used to em. Still don’t have as much fun and it affects my play as a result.

• Honestly, I don’t mind the new 2h sword animations that much. Overhead looks kinda clunky but stab and slashes are fine.

In exchange we got a lot better heavy weapon animations. Time to switch to dubaxe, LS scrubs!

• Old camera, old animation what is this sorcery, so smooth so perfect, when you didn’t have this stupid parry box on the the top of the head, you delay OH someone he random block and your delay is fuking stopped above the head of the guy ffs, when you could read sword decently, the worse is that they change that for a total bullshit reason “huehue it’s for preventing facehug, new camera”, they should revert all this shit or put an options but not gonna happen, idk if they don’t give a fuck or just don’t like to admit their errors.

• Who’s idea was it to change the camera and animations anyways?!!??!

I must find out. Quick, someone tell me. I’m too lazy to investigate.

• Who’s idea was it to change the camera and animations anyways?!!??!

It was a suggestion of Rumpel if i remember well, someone can probably find the thread, he’s the one to blame.

• No the animations were changed to fit the new camera… before that the arms were just floating in front of the cam, and that just looked ridiculous. The arms couldn’t be moved back because it’d have created some serious phantom range effect or something like that. Just tweak these existing animations so that overheads, combo transition animations and parry animations aren’t so goddamn clunky.

• Global Moderator

What they need to do is adjust the 3rd person animations and tracers to better fit the first person animations. Not the other way around.

• What they need to do is to remove 3rd person.

:>

• @Monsteri:

No the animations were changed to fit the new camera… before that the arms were just floating in front of the cam, and that just looked ridiculous. The arms couldn’t be moved back because it’d have created some serious phantom range effect or something like that. Just tweak these existing animations so that overheads, combo transition animations and parry animations aren’t so goddamn clunky.

If the old anims come back then the old cam would as well. I think most players voting yes also understand that.

• @Karasu:

If the old anims come back then the old cam would as well. I think most players voting yes also understand that.

Why?

Also, I’m not talking about bringing the old ones back.

• @Monsteri:

Why?

Also, I’m not talking about bringing the old ones back.

Because the new anims were designed to fit the new cam as you said. So if the old anims come back then it would be ideal for the old camera to come back as well.

• But why couldn’t the current ones simply be tweaked to be smoother? :L

• @Monsteri:

But why couldn’t the current ones simply be tweaked to be smoother? :L

Because it’s simpler to just revert to old cam and anims which are better anyway.

• It might not seem apparent now, but without the pushed back camera the term ‘facehugging’ would become a lot more literal. 140 FOV would be mandatory to make sense of your opponent’s actions if he’s just running forward. Sure, people would learn to deal with it as they learnt before, but for many people it’s just not fun to fight like that.

• @Monsteri:

It might not seem apparent now, but without the pushed back camera the term ‘facehugging’ would become a lot more literal. 140 FOV would be mandatory to make sense of your opponent’s actions if he’s just running forward. Sure, people would learn to deal with it as they learnt before, but for many people it’s just not fun to fight like that.

Make a poll to ask people if they notice a difference in ease of dealing with facehugging pre cam change and post cam change. Most players did just fine with facehugging before. It was never a problem amongst skilled players.