Problem With New Weapons

• Why doesn’t anyone talk about new weapons anymore?

The practical issue around new weapons is; TBS need to sell us stuff in order to keep investing time and money. As far as I can see there is no way that they can sell new weapons. Not unless people want a shitty pay to win game, which I’m pretty sure that they don’t. So they sell us stuff that won’t have any real impact, apart from all the complaints about how crap the barbarian skins look. So I’m wondering; is there any way around this? Is it possible to introduce weapons that are so perfectly balanced that no one will complain that they are pay to win? Or is there some other model that has worked well in other games?

Perhaps there is a solution to the above but TBS think that the hardcore players of this game wouldn’t put up with a major change. Whilst everyone is focused in the minutiae it’s unlikely that TBS will take a chance on anything risque. Maybe this is a good thing; who wants to play a game where not all the options are as viable as others? Well; personally I don’t mind, I could put up with a bit of chaos for a while.

When I look at the loadout menu, I can’t help thinking; why do we still have all those empty boxes? They gave us the flail and we said it’s shit, same with the sling. So maybe they introduced under-powered weapons as a safe option? The flail and sling never caused any real complaints, just gripes, whilst the Greatsword, well that’s a different matter.

So I’m wondering; is it financially impossible to introduce new weapons at this stage in the games development? Are TBS frightened about the potential backlash from introducing new weapons? Or, maybe they realise it’s just too much work? The thing is you can never have too much work; you just need to get paid for it.

• Games is barely balanced as it is now. Introducing more weapons won’t do anything but add more frustration it isn’t even needed. There are too many weapons in the same tree for them to be all have their uses.

• i’d love some new weapons

• Global Moderator

Well they can just make new weapons for free and sell us the skins like they are doing.

They said they would “never sell us gameplay related content” so they can just add weapons.

• New weapons can’t offer anything unique without new mechanics associated to them. Similar to how spears can’t combo.

With only stat differences you can’t make much more than this.

• @CRUSHED:

i’d love some new weapons

2h Norse sword

2h Wulfric

2h Broad

2h Mace

2h Morningstar

2h club

• Global Moderator

@Monsteri:

New weapons can’t offer anything unique without new mechanics associated to them. Similar to how spears can’t combo.

With only stat differences you can’t make much more than this.

So you want spears that can combo?

• @lemonater47:

So you want spears that can combo?

No, he’s just giving a general example of a weapon category that works very different from the others.
    Take the Archer for example, every row of 3 primary weapons in his arsenal works unique.

But I don’t think I want new weapons. As has been said above, the current mechanics and statistics in this game have pretty much covered everything already. Hell, we even have some leftovers we don’t know what to do with, like the Bearded Axe.
    I’m not too interested in new mechanics to come along new weapons either. I think it’s fine as it currently stands; 3 melee classes using the exact same melee mechanics, and 1 archer class that has it’s own mechanics.

• Dual wield greatsword.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Dual wield greatsword.

Delay one and accelerate the other, mix it up with feints and fuck everyone up.

Might require two mice.

• @gndo:

Might require two mice.

I’m ready

• Global Moderator

@Rickvs:

No, he’s just giving a general example of a weapon category that works very different from the others.
    Take the Archer for example, every row of 3 primary weapons in his arsenal works unique.

But I don’t think I want new weapons. As has been said above, the current mechanics and statistics in this game have pretty much covered everything already. Hell, we even have some leftovers we don’t know what to do with, like the Bearded Axe.
    I’m not too interested in new mechanics to come along new weapons either. I think it’s fine as it currently stands; 3 melee classes using the exact same melee mechanics, and 1 archer class that has it’s own mechanics.

You don’t do sarcasm do you.

• I personally don’t like the idea of new weapons. I think it would just add balance issues and as others have said what’s really new to offer at this point? I’m happy to just pick up new skins for the weapons I like, I think they’ve done a pretty good job with them so far.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Dual wield greatsword.

LOL

That mental image sure is a hoot. Oh man this is exactly what the game needs!

• @gndo:

Might require two mice.

Double LOL.

• A balance patch to bring some of the bad weapons up to viability would be like adding all new weapons that just happen to look the same as some old weapons nobody used.

• If TBS could get achievements working properly at SOME point, they could have unlockable weapons.

• How about some novelty weapons?

A whip, really weak, quick and long, probably can’t parry.
    Wooden sparring sword. Basically a sow or longsword but wooden and really weak… (for those that like a real challenge)
    Cooking pot that makes an obnoxious BONG sound on every hit. Short, weak, mid speed.

On a more serious note, how about a much longer flail?
    Or some gauntlets so you can fist fight and still parry weapons?

Withouth changing some game mechanics, what can new weapons offer and stay balanced?

• balance patch when?

• How many weapons can you add before they just become clones of other weapons with different skins?

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.