Does overclocking your GPU make you faster?

• Once upon a time… someone told me that if I overclock my GPU I’m going to get a speed boost. The less i OC, the less noticeable the boost is (just to be clear - I have never done such a thing and I do not plan to do so. I’m fine with my current speed).

I’m sure you’ve experienced this - a dude with <100ping whose swings connect a tad earlier than the actual animation does. Each time I notice this, I ask the culprit the same question: ‘Do you have your GPU overclocked?’ and the answer is always YES.

The thing is, I was told the other day that there is no such thing as speed boost due to GPU overclocking. That I am a filthy liar and an ugly broad and I do not deserve to play the game and it would be best if I got teleported to a 100meter-deep hole full of penis-eating snakes.

Well then, does doing lewd things to your GPU make you a cheater or not?

• I thought it was CPU, and via software overclocking?

• …or CPU, yeah. My bad

• @Retsnom:

In addition, there are a lot of people that Overclock their PCs UDK is not Over clocking friendly if you have the HPET timer turned off. This gives a slight speed boost and is well known bug in UDK and I for one was one of the persons that discovered it by pure accident last year because I had a dinosaur potato that I had to OC just to play the game. Many people who OC have no idea about the HPET timer. It is not a hack it is just pushing your machine to it’s max potential and many players have no idea or intent to hack or cheat.

/10speedhacks

• cpu hakn
    /10chars

• Please refrain from making posts that are less than 10 characters in length. The rules can be reviewed here: http://forums.tornbanner.com/announcement.php?f=12

VY CANIS MAJORIS: This was an issue a while ago and documented by Retsnom. While I cannot determine if it has been completely removed or not, I have noticed that the timings of certain players can feel inconsistent at times. I usually chalk it up to latency, however in some extreme outlier cases the players in question had a ping of less than 60!

• I have found the old socket 775 chips from Q9450 up to QX9770 really do nicely in Chivalry and they have 12mb of Cache.
    If you have high spec video cards its hardly noticeable imo. Other wise just oc the cpu multiplier or fsb slightly and
    it still plays chivalry quite ok tbh. If you have a 1600 fsb board its a bonus also.

• It’s possible and it’s a bug caused by OCing CPU. I remember someone was even accused of speedhacking in chiv shortly after the game was released. He recorded some videos showing that overclocking made him move faster.

• I’ve seen people move really fast. Had no idea it could be 'cause of overclocking.

• Developer

GPU won’t. CPU might, notably if you overclock it while Windows is running (e.g. with the software that certain motherboard manufacturers provide). Windows sets up a clock rate based on your CPU’s clockspeed when it starts; if you overclock after this happens, you throw off Windows’ internal timers and the game itself will start to run at the wrong speed (as will everything else relying on those timers, including other games, video player software, …)

• Yeah, and it might also depend on which timer your OS is set to use for the high precision system timer.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

cpu hakn
    /10chars

@Gauntlet:

Please refrain from making posts that are less than 10 characters in length. The rules can be reviewed here: http://forums.tornbanner.com/announcement.php?f=12

Central processing unit hacking.

• @Silu:

It’s possible and it’s a bug caused by OCing CPU. I remember someone was even accused of speedhacking in chiv shortly after the game was released. He recorded some videos showing that overclocking made him move faster.

That would be me who exposed this. While I normally am for tweaking your system to push it to its maximum potential, fundamentally I still don’t see this as an exploit considering that so many people struggle with this game and FPS, even with decent machines and it only seems to be getting worse, not better.

That said it does give a slight speed boost that is an unfair advantage to those that do not software overclock and have their HPET timer disabled. As far as I know, there is no way for a server to know if the timer is off and to adjust that players speed or to kick them. CrustySoup should be able to confirm one way or the other.

I can also tell you that most players have no idea if their HPET timer is on or off, let alone know how to change it. Many also purchase over clocked parts and systems to begin with. I dont believe VAC or any speed hack detector can detect this since it really isnt a hack.

• @Retsnom:

I dont believe VAC or any speed hack detector can detect this since it really isnt a hack.

Are you saying people playing with OC config should be banned ? Of course it’s not hacking, a shitload of CPU are made for overclocking and I never heard it was a big deal. If the problem comes from the game itself, it should be fixed…

Btw, I overclocked my CPU and never had the chance to hear other players complaining, so I suppose it’s pretty random.

• @LaPoutre:

Are you saying people playing with OC config should be banned ? Of course it’s not hacking, a shitload of CPU are made for overclocking and I never heard it was a big deal. If the problem comes from the game itself, it should be fixed…

Btw, I overclocked my CPU and never had the chance to hear other players complaining, so I suppose it’s pretty random.

UM no…. Where did I say anyone should be banned for pushing every ounce of speed from our PCs? I even said I don’t see it as an exploit or a hack.

I am also unaware of a fix from the game engine dev team, not the Chiv dev side that can detect or prevent an OCed machine with the HPET timer turned off. As I said before most players have no clue about the state of their HPET timer in the first place. This is a bug with the UDK engine across all of their games. It is primarily effects OCs that use a software frontside bus method of OC rather than OC in the Bios.

Again, I do not think it is a hack or even an exploit. But if you play Chiv in this manner, you will get called out, kicked a lot, not allowed to play in comp play and possibly get banned if enough people start complaining about you. But then again it is hard to prove as the speed boost is slight and this game performance is wonky when it comes to ping, desyncs and lag.

Basically, once I discovered the bug, I didn’t fight for my right to OC in any way I wanted too, I found the solution and complied because it was the right thing to do.

• If you overclock your system through your motherboard software, it changes those settings in the BIOS does it not? So if you wanted to trick your timer, you would have to boot up with normal frequency, and then change it through software every time.

I dunno. That’s how my ASUS software works. But maybe that’s because I only changed the multiplier, or a specific ASUS thing.

• @Retsnom:

Again, I do not think it is a hack or even an exploit. But if you play Chiv in this manner, you will get called out, kicked a lot, not allowed to play in comp play and possibly get banned if enough people start complaining about you. But then again it is hard to prove as the speed boost is slight and this game performance is wonky when it comes to ping, desyncs and lag.

I play Chiv since its release, I even did some scrims during a few months, never had any problem… That’s why I’m pretty skeptical !

@dudeface:

If you overclock your system through your motherboard software, it changes those settings in the BIOS does it not? So if you wanted to trick your timer, you would have to boot up with normal frequency, and then change it through software every time.

I dunno. That’s how my ASUS software works. But maybe that’s because I only changed the multiplier, or a specific ASUS thing.

I have an Asus MB too, exactly the same thing as you, I OC my CPU directly from the BIOS.

• @LaPoutre:

I play Chiv since its release, I even did some scrims during a few months, never had any problem… That’s why I’m pretty sceptical !

I have an Asus MB too, exactly the same thing as you, I OC my CPU directly from the BIOS.

Skeptical of what exactly? Do you think people are hacking instead of an overclocking issue using software to OC the front side bus with the HPET timer off?

Some motherboards will infact change the bios from their mobo specific software but not all motherboards have a bios that is very adjustable. Intel is famous for locking down their bios to prevent OC. You can of course test this yourself but I take no responsibility if you wreck your system.

Undo you current OC, turn off your HPET timer and use a program called SoftFSB to OC your front side bus. Easy Peasy. You will have to look up all the instructions of setting it up properly but that is essentially it.

But like I said, do it at your own risk of damage to your system and people calling you out because you will be about 7%-10% faster in movement and attack speeds depending on how much you OC. It appears to be relevant to the percentage that you OC.

• I believe you, I wasn’t aware of that. I always had Asus MB with K series of Intel CPU, so “easy-peasy” to OC that way, never really dig too much for other options. And I will keep my current settings if you don’t mind, easy and harmless. Maybe one day I’ll give it a try, just out of curiosity.

• Cant you have a client and server side clock that when a client logs into the server it syncs the client clock, then checks it 5 mins later. If the discrepancy of the server clock vs client clock is large enough kick the player and tell him to stop soft OC’ing.

The accelerated timer for the client would cause the clocks to go out of sync.