Does overclocking your GPU make you faster?

• You could but the number of players that do not have or are using the HPET timer would give false positives and probably kick 50% or more of all players. There is really nothing wrong with over clocking or using or not using the HPET timer. It is a problem with the game engine being susceptible to it giving weird effects across many different games.

• I can’t OC my CPU that I know of. i5 750… My GPU is OC’d slightly using catalyst. Would intel turbo boost cause issues though?

• @Tyoson:

I can’t OC my CPU that I know of. i5 750… My GPU is OC’d slightly using catalyst. Would intel turbo boost cause issues though?

No Catalyst would not and neither should Intel Turbo boost since all that does is unlock Intel’s preferred CPU speed.

SoftFSB was designed for you. As I stated Intel doesn’t like their processors OCd. SoftFSB over clocks the front side bus, in the OS, instead of the cpu in the bios, by adding more voltage to the front side bus. It also lets you do it on the fly so you can slowly raise your speed and lower it. It is a bit technical and not user friendly to figure out so I would do some research and make sure you have the right PLL name for you CPU and take your time.

• I have my CPU overclocked and it’s rare that someone complains about my stabs being too fast/desync’d

• @Planetus:

I have my CPU overclocked and it’s rare that someone complains about my stabs being too fast/desync’d

Reread this thread and you will understand why. If not do research…

• @CrustaceanSoup:

GPU won’t. CPU might, notably if you overclock it while Windows is running (e.g. with the software that certain motherboard manufacturers provide). Windows sets up a clock rate based on your CPU’s clockspeed when it starts; if you overclock after this happens, you throw off Windows’ internal timers and the game itself will start to run at the wrong speed (as will everything else relying on those timers, including other games, video player software, …)

So the player will technically be quicker due to this “glitch”, but wouldn’t everything else in the environment also appear faster to the player? (i.e. opponents swings/movements) I understand when people used to use Cheat Engine, that adjusting speed by (e.g.+4%) would not only increase player speed, but the entire speed of the game by that value. This sort of sounds like a similar effect.

• People should be kicked if their client server timing is faster than the server timing regardless of the problem.

• @Retsnom:

No Catalyst would not and neither should Intel Turbo boost since all that does is unlock Intel’s preferred CPU speed.

SoftFSB was designed for you. As I stated Intel doesn’t like their processors OCd. SoftFSB over clocks the front side bus, in the OS, instead of the cpu in the bios, by adding more voltage to the front side bus. It also lets you do it on the fly so you can slowly raise your speed and lower it. It is a bit technical and not user friendly to figure out so I would do some research and make sure you have the right PLL name for you CPU and take your time.

Sorry I didn’t see this reply. Thanks for the extra info :) I’m not gonna waste my time OC’ing this computer anyway, I’ll just wait until I’ve upgraded. I don’t have consistent work at the moment so I’m just tryna play it as it comes and keep as much money aside as possible for now unfortunately.

@Toll:

People should be kicked if their client server timing is faster than the server timing regardless of the problem.

Agreed.

• I was wondering if a mod could sticky this thread. Do you think that would create problems with people doing it more for benefits?

I ran into a guy yesterday who was swinging the claymore lightning fast (but the tracers appeared to follow his animation? Hard to say with claymore, she’s so quick anyway) and I asked him if he was overclocking. I got the “yes” and told him that he should come here and check out the “thread about overclocking” but that doesn’t mean he found it or it was necessarily easy to find. In time this will sink, and I think it would be a good place to be able to send people who don’t know what’s going on.

Several people chimed into the conversation asking about it, but unfortunately I don’t know enough about it to say anything other than “go to the forums and look for a post.” I think this post could be a good reference for those people if it were easy to find.

For you tech guys (Retsnom especially)- is disabling your HPET timer something that is required to overclock, or can it be done without that? I’m sorry, I know nothing about overclocking my PC (I’m nervous about hurting my baby, I need her for work).

• I have my CPU overclocked like hell and have been playing Chivalry since it came out. I’ve had the CPU speed bug once, I might even have some video of it. I’ll post it later if I do.

@quigleyer:

Is disabling your HPET timer something that is required to overclock, or can it be done without that? I’m sorry, I know nothing about overclocking my PC (I’m nervous about hurting my baby, I need her for work).

To OC your CPU you need a CPU with an unlocked multiplier, which will be an intel chip with a k at the end (i.e. Intel i5 2500k) or an AMD Black edition or FX chip. And you will need an OEM motherboard capable of overclocking, so if your PC is a prebuilt you cannot OC.

What CPU and GPU are using right now? If you have a fast i5 or i7 you really don’t need to OC because they do not bottleneck on newer games.

• Gref, there is a different between hardware overclocking through BIOS and SoftOverclocking through windows based software. It is the windows based software that causes the accelerated timer issues.

• I agree that overclocking with software would be more likely to screw up the timers and cause the CPU OC glitch, but when the glitch happened to me I was OCing through the BIOS only.

• I’d like to confirm that for my PC specs it did indeed speed the game up when I overclocked my CPU through BIOS only. I even got kicked for “Speed Hacking.” After the kick I tested it out and found my game speed was about 20% faster then normal.

• I got outrunned by an archer on my team the other day as a man at arms. There was no enemy in front of us. Like wtf?

• step one lower clock within the bios, step 2 oc in windows back to normal or above=win? no thx ill play like I normally do

• … and there’s no way to fix this? i came back briefly after a long hiatus and called someone out for being too speedy, but perhaps this was the issue. honestly, stuff like this makes me not even want to play the game (i won’t stoop to doing anything for an advantage that isn’t public knowledge or in the general setting.)

• @Bighands:

… and there’s no way to fix this? i came back briefly after a long hiatus and called someone out for being too speedy, but perhaps this was the issue. honestly, stuff like this makes me not even want to play the game (i won’t stoop to doing anything for an advantage that isn’t public knowledge or in the general setting.)

There is also the latest issue with the super broken chase code. Instead of actually fixing when and how the chase mechanic kicks in to make it more reliable and accurate, they increased the chase speed by 10%. SO now you never know when it will kick in or at what range and you get a super boost. With the also annoying hit trade meta it is impossible to maintain distance or escape briefly to heal or to kite to trick someone into following you, and any type of hit and run tactic.