Is this game for me? Pre-order four pack

• Hi everyone!

I’m new here but I’d like to ask your constructive opinions and want to gauge what kind of people play this game.

I’m not a huge multiplayer fan, the reason is because I usually have a lot of issues with getting pwnd a lot by cheaters, griefers and people that just play online way too much and therefore have Uber skills making online gaming stressful for regular gamers. So far, are these things an issue and do you guys see these becoming one?

Although I haven’t played this game at all, it looks like a well made, very fun, and unique game. I really like the graphics and hand to hand combat style. I’ve watched many Youtube vids that made me want to dive right in. So, I’m thinking about pre-ordering it.

Also, I wanted to find a good independent game that won’t attract too many of these internet assholes so me and my friends could play in peace with a great community. Hence, I am considering the four pack. Two of my friends have Bdays coming up and figured they’d enjoy this.

Is it possible to play on LAN or start your own little server to play with people with a password?
    and if I get the four pack, do those keys expire if not entered in to steam within a period of time so I can wait to give them to my friends?
    And finally, will the prices stay the same after the pre-order time limit and will the fourpack still be available at a later date?

I hope to hear form you all soon. Cheers.

• Well, the problem with this game, FOR YOU, that is, is that it is entirely skill based.

As you say, people who play it constantly like a crack addiction, will destroy you the point of it not being fun.

All you need to do is play against Jack Baldy and you’ll realize how terrifying that skill gap can be. He goes 29-0 some games, in Team Objective or LTS.

There are dedicated servers and a LAN Workaround is possible.

As for cheaters, I doubt we’ll see to many, because in a game like this, skill can overcome cheating.

Griefers are a problem, but that is any game.

I’d say go for it, I love it myself, it’s one of those games where you can have an epic duel.

Then have it ruined when an Archer shoots you in the back. Lack of honor in this game. :P

• @Mkilbride:

All you need to do is play against Jack Baldy and you’ll realize how terrifying that skill gap can be. He goes 29-0 some games, in Team Objective or LTS.

Lol yeah he destroys whole teams, 4v1 and he destroyed them. :D

• I’ve seen 5 VS 1 and he will wins, and it pisses me off, because his reaction times seem unreal.

And I’m not one to boast, but I don’t think I’m a bad player either, these types of games have also been my forte.

• Skill isn’t a problem for me. I’ve played enough games to hold my own in the past. I’m sure there will always be better players out there of course. Like the guy you both seem to fear as I probably will too lol :P

Skill can overcome cheating, that’s true in some cases and I also doubt it will be easy or worthwhile to hack this game but you never know.

However, I’ve read in other threads that there was a clan kicking people from public servers. I was glad to see a forum moderator react to that with a solution.

There seems to be a LAN workaround… I hope LAN will be in the game instead of needing to mess around. Can you create a server yourself with a password? Like CS.

• This game is amazing. I would recommend it to anyone. And because I think this game is so damn amazing and deserves to have an equally amazing community, I’ve already been doing as much as I can to deal with griefing and trolling in games, and will continue to do all I can on official servers post-release - and I have a lot of friends from AoC who I know will be having their own clan servers with good admins too. So I don’t doubt for a second that you’ll have a good play experience 90% of the time in this game - the other 10% is uncertain, because admins can’t be around 24/7, especially since typically the admins of a particular server will all be around the same time zone and have similar schedules.

As for cheaters - I doubt you’ll see many of them, and those that do pop up won’t be around for long. Official server admins have the ability to add their Steam ID to a ban list that prevents them from joining any official servers - meaning the only way to circumvent it is to create a new Steam account and buy the game again, or make an appeal. They’ll likely also end up reported to Valve, who take cheating very seriously as well, and could end up with a ban on their Steam account.

And to answer another of your questions; yes, it is possible to create a LAN server and play with just your friends for those few occasions where someone is ruining your play experience. You can even add bots to the server to make it feel a little less empty.

• Thanks for your reply SlyGoat. I’m happy with the responses I’ve gotten so far. Glad to hear that cheaters will be actively dealt with. As the sloth I am, I’m going to stare at the pre-order button for a little while longer before making my move. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get this game though :D

On another note. I hear people complaining about 3rd person view. Some of my friends enjoy 3rd person over first, will 3rd person be removed or switched off on most servers or is it too early to tell?

• @Aelius:

Thanks for your reply SlyGoat. I’m happy with the responses I’ve gotten so far. Glad to hear that cheaters will be actively dealt with. As the sloth I am, I’m going to stare at the pre-order button for a little while longer before making my move. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get this game though :D

On another note. I hear people complaining about 3rd person view. Some of my friends enjoy 3rd person over first, will 3rd person be removed or switched off on most servers or is it too early to tell?

Official server settings will I believe remain as they are post-release;
    50% friendly fire damage
    Crosshairs client-side optional
    Third person client-side optional

I suspect most clan servers will have 100% friendly fire, client-side crosshairs and server-side disabled third person.

That said, I’d encourage your friends to at least try the game in first person. I find it far more immersive and enjoyable.

• @Aelius:

Thanks for your reply SlyGoat. I’m happy with the responses I’ve gotten so far. Glad to hear that cheaters will be actively dealt with. As the sloth I am, I’m going to stare at the pre-order button for a little while longer before making my move. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna get this game though :D

regarding lan viewtopic.php?f=72&t=2687