RIP Deadliest Warrior

• i played the beta and saw it wasnt going to improve so i never bought it

• Purchased this on release and had a nice game as a Knight whooping the other factions. Due to my boxset addiction
    and Chivalry at weekends I no longer play this mode.

• Yeah back when DW released, MW was in such a poor state that DW was more fun AND arguable more balanced. But TBS said fuck it, and they fixd MW and made it playable again, but the tradeoff was that they threw out DW. Too bad, I still enjoy DW and I think there’s still PLENTY of untapped potential there. DW horde mode anybody? DW giantslayers LOL. Giant pirate with a blunderbuss or giant Viking shield toss killing 9 people. Giant Spartan doing a shield bitchslap and clearing the map.

• As one of the few people who like DW better than MW from the start (mostly due to the skill ceiling still being high while getting rid of a dedicated archer class and infini-drags), a small part of me likes to think that maybe, just maybe, the devs may eventually come back. I know that even if they did, though, there wouldn’t be much to save. Maybe a steam sale or 30 could save it, granted it got some much needed TO or at least a new map.

This silly arcadey thing is responsible for some 350+ hours of my life, and I wouldn’t trade a single one, but goddamn if it isn’t a tragedy. I put this right up with T:A in terms of “What could’ve been.”

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpEasAKd_Gw

Whenever this shit came on I’d always go on a Legendary spree.

Remember when the announcer was ear****? I shit myself the first time I got legendary, fucker just YELLED IT OUT.

• Now that I’m playing on 64 bit, I was thinking of buying DW. The posts on this forum have convinced me not to.

• @Cat1099:

Now that I’m playing on 64 bit, I was thinking of buying DW. The posts on this forum have convinced me not to.

Its fun.

But needs more attention from the devs.

Many players exclusively play DW saying its superior to MW. So its not awful.

• I’ve been reading that there aren’t any active servers for DW - if a couple reliable ones for the US are out there, I might go ahead and get it.

• @Cat1099:

I’ve been reading that there aren’t any active servers for DW - if a couple reliable ones for the US are out there, I might go ahead and get it.

Strange considering there’s active servers in Australia from western Australia to the eastern side. There’s bound to be active servers in a place that as 6 times the population of the population of Australia and New Zealand combined.

• The Colosseum and Colosei Mortis are U.S. servers that are usually fairly active around primetime, and are where the majority of the better N/A players seem to spend much of their time. There’s also several tdm servers that are usually fairly populated around the same time. Definitely playable.

• Good, I hope they never update DW again. Took way too much time away from MW.

• @Flippy:

Good, I hope they never update DW again. Took way too much time away from MW.

No it didn’t. They patched the game tons while they were making deadliest warrior. Sure one of those patches was awful but it was a very large patch as were many others.

It wasn’t till after deadliest warrior was released when patches and communication pretty much stopped.

• @Flippy:

Good, I hope they never update DW again. Took way too much time away from MW.

+1

MW was always better. in DW ripostes make your attacks actually go slower. what the hell?

• @Psyfon:

+1

MW was always better. in DW ripostes make your attacks actually go slower. what the hell?

Again not true lol.

I know you guys hate DW but there’s no use in making shit up about it.

• @lemonater47:

Again not true lol.

I know you guys hate DW but there’s no use in making shit up about it.

Then why was that the exact same thing that happened to me every time i riposted during the most recent free weekend? Its all i have to go off of and its exactly what happened. Everything bad that people said about it was true…i just had to see for myself though.

• Well I can play any time and I know that ripostes are faster and work the same as in MW lol.

• I remember playing. It felt very clunky and arcadey. The balance wasn’t there. It felt like I had no control over swings. Knight with longsword didn’t feel like the same knight with longsword from MW. I remember saying “This game is shit” in chat. Then some high rank was like “Fuck off then cunt” So I did, and it was on that day I vowed to never return to the abortion that is, Deadliest Warrior.

• @Tyoson:

I remember playing. It felt very clunky and arcadey. The balance wasn’t there. It felt like I had no control over swings. Knight with longsword didn’t feel like the same knight with longsword from MW. I remember saying “This game is shit” in chat. Then some high rank was like “Fuck off then cunt” So I did, and it was on that day I vowed to never return to the abortion that is, Deadliest Warrior.

Maybe because the knight has a sword of war not a longsword.

• See, this is what I don’t get about MW players who go out of their way to piss on DW. What the hell do you actually think is the difference between MW and DW’s development cycles? It’s pretty clear that the devs have a favorite child, but what I never can understand about you guys is this apparent sense of superiority. Maybe I’m just reading between lines that aren’t there, but it really confuses the crap out of me. You guys sit here and talk like DW stagnating is doing MW any favors. The team is still just as tiny, just as slow, and just as unwilling to answer any meaningful questions, but because they focus on YOUR game, suddenly it doesn’t bother you that yours is in just as bad a situation?

Hell, at least DW showed examples of mechanics that could possibly change the combat for the better. The speed increase, the weapon variation, the elimination of range specialization, the drag balance, all of it was just to see what happened with a silly little project they picked up from Spike. The larger maps, the variation in combat focus, the change to how fights formed, the increased worth of singular combatants, all of it was just an experiment. Obviously, it failed. All the same, you guys completely forget that where DW had the advantage of being able to introduce new concepts, ideas, and possibly even classes, MW is, by design, trapped within it’s own little four class system forever. Say what you like about the overpowered weapons, the ignored class specialties, and the lack of a team objective. Nobody will argue with you. But for god’s sake, don’t act like new maps and skins are going to help MW any. Much as you like to point and laugh at DW being put in the corner, MW is absolutely stagnant due to the very fact that if you attempt to change the class system at all, the entire paradigm falls apart. Add in the fact that archers have just as much as an advantage in game as they did in real life (I.E. being able to hit people who have no possible way to retaliate,) and you’re left with a game that lacks the ability to evolve, change, or grow in any meaningful respect. It’s still a good game, and from an objective standpoint, almost outright better than DW. But that doesn’t change the fact that unless Chivalry 2 comes out, you guys are in the exact same boat.

Maybe the devs really do have every reason to move at the pace of a crippled snail. For all I know, they’re working on three different projects at once, which will all be so great as to end all wars, world hunger, and cause every human to experience unparalleled throes of ecstasy from the act of growing a single flower. Maybe they’re just lazy bastards. I really don’t know, and with what little contact I’ve had with them, both answers seem equally likely at this point. The end result however, is the same. Where DW had the possibility and advantage of innovation, MW has dev support and a competitive scene to rival that of Age of Empires. Neither side gains anything of any immediate value, and both sides suffer for lack of continued interest. So why do you feel it necessary to assert your dominance as the winner of a contest nobody else entered? You’re not beating a dead horse, you’re desecrating an unmarked grave.

• See, this is what I don’t get about MW players who go out of their way to piss on DW. What the hell do you actually think is the difference between MW and DW’s development cycles? It’s pretty clear that the devs have a favorite child, but what I never can understand about you guys is this apparent sense of superiority. Maybe I’m just reading between lines that aren’t there, but it really confuses the crap out of me. You guys sit here and talk like DW stagnating is doing MW any favors. The team is still just as tiny, just as slow, and just as unwilling to answer any meaningful questions, but because they focus on YOUR game, suddenly it doesn’t bother you that yours is in just as bad a situation?

DW took months to make, months that could’ve been spent improving MW which was their most popular game. We could’ve had this UI patch that’s in beta right now months ago. They could’ve fixed bugs much faster. They could’ve updated the maps. But nope, instead they made a game where spamming LMB is the most successful form of attack. Hell they never even bothered to fix the server browser, so what was all that work for? They made this brand new game but it’s now completely broken.

Hell, at least DW showed examples of mechanics that could possibly change the combat for the better. The speed increase, the weapon variation, the elimination of range specialization, the drag balance, all of it was just to see what happened with a silly little project they picked up from Spike.

The speed increase is stupid because it made LMB’s the most effective form of attack. The weapon variation is cool, but it’s a nightmare to balance. (viking spear, spartan, etc.) The removal of a specialized range class is fine, I actually like that. The drag “balance” was a drag nerf. It nerfed drags FFS. Such casual. It wasn’t some silly side project wtf. New models, maps, animations, voices, mechanics, yes I’m sure it only took a few weeks.

The larger maps, the variation in combat focus, the change to how fights formed, the increased worth of singular combatants, all of it was just an experiment.

Yes the LMB meta, very high-skill. Oh yeah I’m sure that brand new game with new animations, models, maps and voices was just a silly side experiment. It only took a few guys in the office a few weeks to make I’m sure.

Obviously, it failed. All the same, you guys completely forget that where DW had the advantage of being able to introduce new concepts, ideas, and possibly even classes,

I liked all this, DW on its own isn’t a bad game. But the players who were alpha testing it, (best players in MW) said that it had potential to be great but TB ignored their feedback and made changes without their consent. This is why we’ve got this LMB meta now that has an extremely low skill-ceiling. Any MW player could go into DW and wreck everyone. It was boring and shallow.

But for god’s sake, don’t act like new maps and skins are going to help MW any.

Most MW players don’t like the new maps at all. The skins are dumb. I’m not pretending MW is a perfect game. Far from it.

MW is absolutely stagnant due to the very fact that if you attempt to change the class system at all, the entire paradigm falls apart.

So what every single multiplayer game on the planet is “stagnant” because the entire game isn’t changed in every patch?

Add in the fact that archers have just as much as an advantage in game as they did in real life (I.E. being able to hit people who have no possible way to retaliate,) and you’re left with a game that lacks the ability to evolve, change, or grow in any meaningful respect.

You’re theory-crafting right now. You’re saying that DW>MW because MW “lacks the ability to evolve, change, or grow…”? What the fuck are you even talking about? I think with the over 20 patches it’s changed a lot since release.

Maybe the devs really do have every reason to move at the pace of a crippled snail. For all I know, they’re working on three different projects at once, which will all be so great as to end all wars, world hunger, and cause every human to experience unparalleled throes of ecstasy from the act of growing a single flower. Maybe they’re just lazy bastards. I really don’t know, and with what little contact I’ve had with them, both answers seem equally likely at this point. The end result however, is the same. Where DW had the possibility and advantage of innovation, MW has dev support and a competitive scene to rival that of Age of Empires. Neither side gains anything of any immediate value, and both sides suffer for lack of continued interest. So why do you feel it necessary to assert your dominance as the winner of a contest nobody else entered? You’re not beating a dead horse, you’re desecrating an unmarked grave.

DW took months of development time away from MW and it’s not even a good game. It’s dead. All that effort and all the time is down the shitter to the detriment of MW which is their main game.