Suggestions from a rank 20

• So many items. First, the arcs for swings are too big. I am standing behind a player using a 2h weapon and they still hit me, or they overhead and lean back and I take full hit damage. I see the end of an enemies weapon go past me, yet it still hits me, that is truly interesting.

The same is true for “accelerating” or “decelerating” your attacks, it completely negates the downsides of long reach high damage weapons. “Oh but you have to be skilled to control that stuff” No you don’t, you just swing and move your mouse. OH WOW HE CLICKED AND THEN TURNED HIS MOUSE AND FEET IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION! How’d he manage to click his mouse THEN hit the A button while simultaneously moving his mouse left. Pure artistry. These types of gimmicks change the game from medieval melee to “run around swinging blindly and dragging and catching players with your big weapon arc.” Oh, so skilled to not know what is behind you and simply swing and turn. 90% of the high rank guys leading game scoreboards do exactly this. I assume people who see a game like this want dynamic fights, not everything being exactly the same when they fight a specific class. It is generally becoming knight/vanguard 2h weapon run in, run out, swing and turn, overhead and lean back and spin. Yay. So fun. Trying to play MaA using the 1-button dodge (which doesn’t get you out of the way 75% of the time due to huge 2h weapon reach, in addition to being a huge resource hog in stamina, so balanced) is a damn nightmare.

“Learn to use it” I have, and it is super lame and makes the game predictable, spammy, and boring. It reminds me of Jedi Knight 2 where players would spam Force Pull, pulling you to them and knocking you down, and then do the 1 hit kill stab attack. You can’t do anything to stop it. Every game turned into that, and it was “who can pull the other first!” Guess what happend? Servers all disabled force powers and all the other servers died due to lack of players. Adapt or lose players. I don’t think anyone plays this game with the want to swing and flick their mouse around mindlessly. I think most people play it (and it seems nearly everyone plays first person) so they can fight with medieval weapons. But to be “skilled” I need to overhead and then look at the sky and spin in a circle! Such skill, so amaze, wow! How did I manage to pull that off! Yeah, that’s why I wanted to play a medieval combat game! That’s like getting a realistic shooter and being like “Well, you can shoot behind you and around corners if you just lean back or spin when you shoot. It’s not stupid, it’s just the game and how it works! I am super good for blindly shooting behind me and around corners! See my K/D is really high!”

Another item, polearms. Why do I take full damage from a vanguard when I’m touching him and he is using a spear, which has a blade only at the end of it. Does the 8 foot long wooden shaft have razor blades glued to it? Standing on his toes, yet he can still fit the 8 foot spear between use to get a stab attack on me? Maybe the upside to all that range should have a downside of doing no damage when inside a certain range? Ya know, trade offs?

TL;DR Take an hour and actually engineer some trade offs in weapons and make the swing arcs smaller. I’m going to point to Mount and Blade Warband as averaging ~12,000 players daily on steam where C:MW is sitting at ~2,600. Interesting how M&B is a much older game and has ~4.5x the players.

source for player numbers: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110

• Oh to be green and naive again.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is stuff a player will experience and tend to believe when they’re at rank 20 like you are. Give it more time and you will think differently I assure you. I use to think MaA was garbage at rank 20, then I sat down, played him for a good while and he eventually became my favourite class as well as discovering along the way that he is one of the strongest classes when played well.

You did have a good point on “engineering trade off’s in weapons” however. There are certainly weapons that exist in the game that don’t really have negatives or anything really to “trade off” against other weapons. Greatsword, Broadsword, Messer, GMace all come to mind where their negatives or supposed trade off doesn’t really balance out against the other weapons of the same class.

You’ll find that you will overlook these with more hours and use the weapons that you like the feel of. Don’t feel the need to use weapons that are currently “meta” or statically strong, just use the ones you like.

• Inb4 “git gud”

git gud

Seriously, you are one of those guys who kick good players from public servers cause of “exploiting”. You are one of those guys who buy this game but actually want a different one. Dragging is a core mechanic. That’s like saying “Yea, I like Quake but please remove rocket - and strafe jumps.” You’ve got two options. Either you adapt or you go play M&B

• “Oh but you have to be skilled to control that stuff” No you don’t, you just swing and move your mouse. OH WOW HE CLICKED AND THEN TURNED HIS MOUSE AND FEET IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION! How’d he manage to click his mouse THEN hit the A button while simultaneously moving his mouse left. Pure artistry.

You have to be skilled to counter and not fall for that all the times, learning to read attack, when to block, this shit is not efficient at all at high level, you don’t get hit by delay to much and yes doing a very good drag takes some skill, just looking up like a noob is just the basic and thats really not efficient at all lol.

. Trying to play MaA using the 1-button dodge (which doesn’t get you out of the way 75% of the time due to huge 2h weapon reach, in addition to being a huge resource hog in stamina, so balanced) is a damn nightmare.

Bullshit lol, you can dodge every weapon 100% of the time and in every side if you have the good timing, distance, you just don’t know what you’re doing which is normal for a level 20, you also need to learn the speed and reach of every weapon.

I could have resume that in “git gud scrub” but i’m in a pretty good mood tonight.

• Most the stuff OP talks about are just what the 3p players do, spamming attacks, spinning, dancing. You may have seen some high rank players doing this but rank =/= skill. The good players don’t do this and also don’t have any trouble dealing with it.

@DokB, Messer is at a disadvantage as it is short, and GMace isn’t very good.

• @Beren:

So many items. First, the arcs for swings are too big. I am standing behind a player using a 2h weapon and they still hit me, or they overhead and lean back and I take full hit damage. I see the end of an enemies weapon go past me, yet it still hits me, that is truly interesting.

The same is true for “accelerating” or “decelerating” your attacks, it completely negates the downsides of long reach high damage weapons. “Oh but you have to be skilled to control that stuff” No you don’t, you just swing and move your mouse. OH WOW HE CLICKED AND THEN TURNED HIS MOUSE AND FEET IN A PARTICULAR DIRECTION! How’d he manage to click his mouse THEN hit the A button while simultaneously moving his mouse left. Pure artistry. These types of gimmicks change the game from medieval melee to “run around swinging blindly and dragging and catching players with your big weapon arc.” Oh, so skilled to not know what is behind you and simply swing and turn. 90% of the high rank guys leading game scoreboards do exactly this. I assume people who see a game like this want dynamic fights, not everything being exactly the same when they fight a specific class. It is generally becoming knight/vanguard 2h weapon run in, run out, swing and turn, overhead and lean back and spin. Yay. So fun. Trying to play MaA using the 1-button dodge (which doesn’t get you out of the way 75% of the time due to huge 2h weapon reach, in addition to being a huge resource hog in stamina, so balanced) is a damn nightmare.

“Learn to use it” I have, and it is super lame and makes the game predictable, spammy, and boring. It reminds me of Jedi Knight 2 where players would spam Force Pull, pulling you to them and knocking you down, and then do the 1 hit kill stab attack. You can’t do anything to stop it. Every game turned into that, and it was “who can pull the other first!” Guess what happend? Servers all disabled force powers and all the other servers died due to lack of players. Adapt or lose players. I don’t think anyone plays this game with the want to swing and flick their mouse around mindlessly. I think most people play it (and it seems nearly everyone plays first person) so they can fight with medieval weapons. But to be “skilled” I need to overhead and then look at the sky and spin in a circle! Such skill, so amaze, wow! How did I manage to pull that off! Yeah, that’s why I wanted to play a medieval combat game! That’s like getting a realistic shooter and being like “Well, you can shoot behind you and around corners if you just lean back or spin when you shoot. It’s not stupid, it’s just the game and how it works! I am super good for blindly shooting behind me and around corners! See my K/D is really high!”

Another item, polearms. Why do I take full damage from a vanguard when I’m touching him and he is using a spear, which has a blade only at the end of it. Does the 8 foot long wooden shaft have razor blades glued to it? Standing on his toes, yet he can still fit the 8 foot spear between use to get a stab attack on me? Maybe the upside to all that range should have a downside of doing no damage when inside a certain range? Ya know, trade offs?

TL;DR Take an hour and actually engineer some trade offs in weapons and make the swing arcs smaller. I’m going to point to Mount and Blade Warband as averaging ~12,000 players daily on steam where C:MW is sitting at ~2,600. Interesting how M&B is a much older game and has ~4.5x the players.

source for player numbers: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?snr=1_steam_4__110

M&B has more players because its a more causal game

Hurr, call of duty has millions of players, it must be the best game ever…

• @gndo:

@DokB, Messer is at a disadvantage as it is short, and GMace isn’t very good.

I overlooked the Messers length being an issue compared to the SoW/LS. But I would still say the GMace is the best of the Knight blunt weapon tree (Maul/Warhammer/Gmace), that overhead is stronk.

• @afiNity:

Inb4 “git gud”

git gud

Seriously, you are one of those guys who kick good players from public servers cause of “exploiting”. You are one of those guys who buy this game but actually want a different one. Dragging is a core mechanic. That’s like saying “Yea, I like Quake but please remove rocket - and strafe jumps.” You’ve got two options. Either you adapt or you go play M&B

Yeah never done any of those things, but I’m glad you know me so well. You’re the person who is the problem with this game. The player base hovers at ~2600 and a six year old game that looks like it is six years old gets almost 5 times the player numbers. And your attitude is “u suck kid, l2p noob go play something else” not to even engage in a conversation about the game. I wonder why this game doesn’t have a big player base. Thanks for making my point.

• @Edmund:

Bullshit lol, you can dodge every weapon 100% of the time and in every side if you have the good timing, distance, you just don’t know what you’re doing which is normal for a level 20, you also need to learn the speed and reach of every weapon.

Vanguard/knight starts swing > you dodge same side as swing is coming from > you take the hit since the reach is further than you can dodge

Vanguard/knight starts swing > you dodge opposite side as swing > they drag sword across to chase your dodge > you take the hit since reach and swing arc are really big

Vanguard/knight starts stab > you dodge back > still in range

I’m playing the same game as you, so I guess it’s my word vs yours that it doesn’t work.

• What Crushed said, this is like going on a Quake forum and complaining about strafe jumping. This is like going on a TF2 forum and complaining about rocket/sticky/grenade/ jumping. This is like going on a CS:GO forum and complaining that you can’t aim down the sights.

Dragging is a core mechanic and it’s been in the game since alpha. The devs have said multiple times that it’s completely okay and should be used to its full extent. Most people on this forum have over 1k hours and are at the very least rank 40.

Git gud fuking nub.

• Really dok? Gmace seems like trash at the moment lol. I mean, I guess compared to warhammer it’s not trash but compared to everything else it is. But ya op, what everyone else is saying. You’re actually right in saying that running around like a moron swinging mindlessly with (probably) a Messer or a gr8sword isn’t hard, but it’s also not hard to counter. If they truly are mindless just run out of the way and watch them destroy their stamina, then punish them. If that simple counter doesn’t work, then they’re a good ballerina and not mindless retards.

• Why is the GMace suddenly shit?

Did the handle hit change really make it bad or something? Haven’t played much since then.

• @DokB:

Why is the GMace suddenly shit?

Did the handle hit change really make it bad or something? Haven’t played much since then.

The accelerated overhead is kinda lame now…

Also OP, one does not simply “swing and flick their mouse around mindlessly”. If it seems like that for you, it’s because your experience in this game is low. It requires great skills to swing and flick your mouse in a way that you trick your opponent and avoid getting fucked while doing so. You gotta create a fighting style using accels and delayed attacks, plus footwork, mindtricks and a shitload of other stuff to get good at this game, and this takes time. This is not the kind of game that when you’re on lvl 20, you can consider yourself good. In fact, in this game, lvl 20’s usually suck A LOT at the game (since it lacks a good tutorial).

It seems like you are looking for a realistic medieval fighting game, and this is not the one. This is a competitive medieval fighting game, which means that gameplay WILL be on top of realism all day. You got 2 options, you can get good (and let me tell you, this game gets a lot better when you are above average in your skills, fun garateed) or you can look for other games.

• @CRUSHED:

M&B has more players because its a more causal game

Hurr, call of duty has millions of players, it must be the best game ever…

M&B has more players because its a singleplayer game. Look at the multiplayer. That never has more than 1000 concurrent players.

• @DokB:

Why is the GMace suddenly shit?

Yeah, but that handlehit is all it had really. Lookdown is slow as balls, gets flinched ez, feint is ez 2 read and if you fall for it you can just run away, crouch and parry the second one.

• @swagfox:

Yeah, but that handlehit is all it had really. Lookdown is slow as balls, gets flinched ez, feint is ez 2 read and if you fall for it you can just run away, crouch and parry the second one.

And yet it is still the best of the Knight blunt tree. Maul is too slow to fool anyone and Warhammer has less reach than my dick.

• @DokB:

And yet it is still the best of the Knight blunt tree. Maul is too slow to fool anyone and Warhammer has less reach than my dick.

yeah but messer

• What about it?

• @Flippy:

What Crushed said, this is like going on a Quake forum and complaining about strafe jumping. This is like going on a TF2 forum and complaining about rocket/sticky/grenade/ jumping. This is like going on a CS:GO forum and complaining that you can’t aim down the sights.

Dragging is a core mechanic and it’s been in the game since alpha. The devs have said multiple times that it’s completely okay and should be used to its full extent. Most people on this forum have over 1k hours and are at the very least rank 40.

Git gud fuking nub.

This is like buying Jedi Knight 2 and complaining about force powers! Srsly, whole new play styles developed like “force lame” and “force fight” with deep mechanics and counters which need a huuuuge shitload of skill and people who couldn’t deal with it became no force players. (nf ctf is it’s own category though)
    [old jk2(1.02) fanatic here]

Your mentality seems like “This is not how I expected it to be and I don’t want to adapt.”

@Topic: It seems a new tutorial is really needed so people think nevermore that those are exploits.
    Just play some more to get more experience. You’ll learn to counter all those things.
    I also thought MaA is shit until I played it myself.

• @Beren:

Yeah, that’s why I wanted to play a medieval combat game! That’s like getting a realistic shooter and being like “Well, you can shoot behind you and around corners if you just lean back or spin when you shoot. It’s not stupid, it’s just the game and how it works! I am super good for blindly shooting behind me and around corners! See my K/D is really high!”

As many have pointed out, dragging is a core mechanic. And what you described is easily countered. Play more and get good. Noone expects a rank 20 to do well against that though.

Question: Where did you see that chivalry is a realistic game? It never was intended to be real because that wouldnt be any fun. And how many hours do you have in the game?