Chivalry basic guide and tips/tricks help

• I’m new to chivalry and so far I’m only mildly good at archer, highest i got was like 10 kills. I’ve played other classes but i do horrible at them. I have also watched many guides and they don’t help me. Since archer is my favorite i have no problem with playing it but I think of I was a little better with the other classes I would enjoy them some more. I would like some tips and tricks on the other classes. Also what is the easiest beginner class/weapon I can use.

• And just an edit, I really lam now loving man at arms, not just because we are awesome at stealing kills but because be can run in there with any weapon and a buckler and massacre. I’ve ran into a bunch of knights and vanguards which I know isn’t the best. Tactic but once one dies they all freak and panic which is what you don’t want to do. Ran into a group of 5 knights/vanguards, none survived. I’m just wondering, with the buckler what would be some good weapons.

• @Chivalier:

Also what is the easiest beginner class/weapon I can use.

Greatsword Vanguard.

Be hard to read and use your speed the keep the enemy on their toes.

Sticking with a team is always good if you can not hit teammates.

• Go knight for a little bit, just because the extra health lets you absorb a bit more damage and the extra stamina lets you miss a few more swings. It will basically mean you can make more mistakes before you die, giving you time to learn.

Grab the knight, use the Longsword. Take throwing axes so you can use your archer skills and throw axes to nab a couple of kills to help you feel better in-between deaths. Alternatively you can grab a shield and leave it on your back to protect against archer shots whilst you fumble around slashing madly at everything.

First thing to really get yourself in a good position to learn later is to not spam. In otherwords don’t just keep clicking your mouse buttons trying to do combos, deliberately LMB/stab/overhead once, if you miss the timing try again. This will help you understand the timings of the game much faster.

You really should learn to defend first, learn to parry.

Learn to riposte effortlessly, this of course means you need to be able to parry at least 60% of the time to begin with, you really want that to be up to at least 80% by level 20ish, by level 40 you should expect to parry 90% of attacks and level 50 would be maybe 95% (on random pub servers), with only the better players getting around your parries.

The quickest way to learn to play effectively is to play in duel FFA severs for a while, then you can concentrate on just your fighting technique preferably vs a sympathetic player that is willing to help you out a bit. You mainly want to learn to defend yourself first.

After that go into TO matches and learn the rest of the game but with an acceptable level of defense and you can then learn how to kill people in the back.

• @Chivalier:

I’m new to chivalry and so far I’m only mildly good at archer, highest i got was like 10 kills. I’ve played other classes but i do horrible at them. I have also watched many guides and they don’t help me. Since archer is my favorite i have no problem with playing it but I think of I was a little better with the other classes I would enjoy them some more. I would like some tips and tricks on the other classes. Also what is the easiest beginner class/weapon I can use.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1oSCVt4bxJSM3aBf20kQrw <–—These videos will teach you everything you need to know.

If you have any further questions, feel free to add me on steam and maybe I can help: http://steamcommunity.com/id/fauch23/

• @Chivalier:

I’m just wondering, with the buckler what would be some good weapons.

Whatever floats your boat.

For killing power, go Broadsword.

For guerrilla tactics, Norce Sword is fun.

If you get really good at dodging/defending, I recomend trying out the War Axe (it’s ability to 2 shot most classes is beautiful).

• My friend, I find that the most important things are knowing how to maintain your initiative in a fight and know how to defend yourself parrying and using footwork.

Combo feints are really userfull to keep your opponent on defensive, and swing manipulation gives you extra unpredictability so you might want to master theese things. In order to improve your defensive skills, try instead of parrying using some footwork to dodge enemy attacks. Bots are great for this since its kind of a controled enviroment where you can test shit, it was very usefull for me when I was starting in the game.

Most of it comes from experience, you gotta try stuff and see if it works, how it works and when it works. I recomend you to go vanguard zweihander because with this weapon, you can see easily how swing manipulation works and due to its slow nature, you WILL have to improve your footwork and parrying skills. Remember that you can feint a combo in order to parry, you will need this a lot with the zwei. Also feinting to parry is really fucking userfull with this weapon. Remember to riposte when you combo feint to parry or feint to parry, most of the people will not be expecting it.

If you don’t fully understand the swing manipulation mechanics (drags) well, you first blame TB for not putting it in the game tutorial, and then you can look at NovaLombardia and HEXEN videos which are trully great man. Play some duels untill you get confident in your offensive/defensive skills, when you think you improved, try then some collective fights!

Remember, offensive is the key. Defense is userfull to keep you alive, so you can keep attacking and pressing your opponent! The less they breathe, the better. Also feint, use it. It is your friend. A userfull thing that helps to read feints is the fact that when an attack is real, the soldier goes HAAAAA, IAAAAA. A feint is silent, like ripostes.

Stay as calm as you can, you don’t need to predict any attack in order to parry. Aways react, but try to look for patterns in your opponents.

• To me it seems you have taken a liking to this game, and thats just wonderful. One thing to remember though it takes TIME. This game has a big learning curve, but it is as fun as heck. I remember when i first started, it was great. Choose whatever class you like the best, and dont let anyone stop you from being that class with silly phrases like “ITS SO OP!” or _“thats not even a real class,gosh git gud. MOM WHERE’S MY FREAKING SANDWICH!!!”._It’s the class that brings you to the top of the scoreboard, and the class that makes you smile every time you get a kill that you want to pick. Also try reading guides that you can find on the chivalry community page, there are several more of those then there are videos, I also find them more insightful since there is so many, from so many different people. Hope to see you on the battlefield :D

• So the knights long sword is the best weapon to practice with? In duels or anywhere? And if you guys suggest weapons please try to suggest weapons that are 1st or 2nd tier for they are easy to unlock.

• Aw in this case mate, I would recomend you vanguard with greatsword. This weapon allows amazing delays and accelerated attacks, as it also has a great combo time + reach and everything else you want in a 2h sword.

The Vanguard allows you to make good use of footwork due to its speed, and it’s health limitations must be compensated with your defensive skills, so IMO it’s a great class and weapon to learn and will give you a good base for other classes.

• Whilst the Greatsword really is Great. The extra damage you cant take as a Knight really goes a long way in helping you learn.

If you can’t find a nice bunch of people to FFA duel on (don’t use Duel mode, it sucks, FFA duel servers are far Superior). Then just jump into a regular FFA server and have at it. You will die alot, but you will also get alot of fights in to learn the basics.

TO you have to deal with Team Damage as well, which can be quite frustrating for you and the team mates swings you inadvertently step in front of.

• Thx for the info vanguard! I will certainly try it but I’m addicted to MAA now, I’m wondering how the Dane axe, falchion, and holy water are and which ones you should use with which shield.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=fK7JsTuUTeE
    biggest trick ever, i cant be the only person who didnt know about this

• @rumpelstiltskin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=fK7JsTuUTeE
    biggest trick ever, i cant be the only person who didnt know about this

That fov and video stutted, amazing.

Just in case you are serious, people have been doing this for ages. It was especially fun when vanguard charge was bugged.

• That doesn’t work. I found out the hard way, Nice try. I can’t see how to do it without hacking, it’s impossible.

• @Kreittis:

That fov and video stutted, amazing.

Just in case you are serious, people have been doing this for ages. It was especially fun when vanguard charge was bugged.

Well I knew about the charge but I didnt know you can jump there.

• Well I knew about the charge but I didnt know you can jump there.

Classic learning curve of the casual, he need 1000 hours to learn something that an average player know after 20/30hours

• DUELS will sharpen the skills you need to advance.

• The only duels i find are against merciless level 50’s. I’m not sure if dueling them helps me very much.

• @Chivalier:

The only duels i find are against merciless level 50’s. I’m not sure if dueling them helps me very much.

It helps a lot if they are willing to help you. If you want to know something, its a great oportunity to ask because he can show you ingame how to do stuff. Thats what makes duels important in this game experience imo.

@Toll:

Whilst the Greatsword really is Great. The extra damage you cant take as a Knight really goes a long way in helping you learn.

Yes true, the knight might be better indeed.