Some NPCs won't spawn properly?

• There is a section in my map where I want to spawn a bunch of NPC peasants to kill, similar to stoneshill first objective.

I am using the same method as detailed in the SDK tutorial, which works fine for some but fails to spawn others.

I have about 30 peasants to spawn and only about half of them spawn properly while the others do not spawn at all. I can not figure out a reason for this. I have triple checked the attributes and kismet for these and they are all exactly the same.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

• That happened a lot on one of my maps. Usually it was because the spawn point was too close to the ground.

• I selected all of my NPC spawn points, and in kismet, added them to an objectlist.
    After building AI pathing, I right click the objectlist and select objects in the level, then simply raise them all up higher.

I’m sure there is another way to do it that is much more efficient, such as changing the pre-pivot, but at this stage, that’ll do :P

• I had that thought as well, and I tried raising the problematic pathnodes to be higher off the ground, but when I rebuilt my paths it automatically lowered the nodes to be as close to the ground as they could be (without getting the black error box).

Is there a way around this?

• I know this is off topic, but would it be possible to change the Peasants or a Peasant into the Playable Skeleton, just thoughts, since I am just learning…and cant map.

AOCCharacterInfo_Playable_Skeleton.uc
    AOCCharacterInfo_Playable_Peasant.uc

AOCCharacterInfo_Skeleton.uc
    AOCCharacterInfo_Peasant.uc

• @Click:

I know this is off topic, but would it be possible to change the Peasants or a Peasant into the Playable Skeleton, just thoughts, since I am just learning…and cant map.

AOCCharacterInfo_Playable_Skeleton.uc
    AOCCharacterInfo_Playable_Peasant.uc

AOCCharacterInfo_Skeleton.uc
    AOCCharacterInfo_Peasant.uc

Ye via “cutomize pawn”. character nr 14 is the skeleton or via these spawn NPC bots with customization settings

• @FartTender:

I had that thought as well, and I tried raising the problematic pathnodes to be higher off the ground, but when I rebuilt my paths it automatically lowered the nodes to be as close to the ground as they could be (without getting the black error box).

Is there a way around this?

Yes, use Note actors for the bots to spawn on instead of Path nodes. Then set them to a height of about chest level or so (compare next to a door on a building) and the bots should spawn fine. You can search for the note-actor placeable in the content browser where you find the player-starts.

• Thanks for the replies everybody.
    I figured out a work around.

Whoever said that the nodes were too close to the ground was right, so I just raised the problem nodes to about chest height after I built my paths, and then I made sure not to build my paths again.

The NPCs spawn properly now.

On a possibly related note, the AI for my map is completely retarded now, they all walk around backwards like retarded dogs.
    It may be because I moved some pathnodes after building my paths, but it may just be that way all the time I haven’t checked.

• In general the AI for bots is just that derpy all the time. Unless they’re pointed specifically by ai controller in kismet, they will herp-derp the navmesh every cranny they can find just because.

I’ve noticed the closer they are to an objective the less weird the AI gets and functions more normally. Which makes certain map layouts a bit more difficult to manage them on.

• If you are JUST using pathnodes for AI bot navigation, don’t, they are stupid, you need to actually script the AI bots in your map and tell them which aipathnodes to go to at certain times and the priorities etc.

I wouldn’t focus too much on it FartTender.

But yeah, as I said in my post earlier, build AI, then raise the spawn nodes up, it works. I’m glad it’s all sorted for you :)

• Yeah thank you a tonne Otreum. Very much appreciated.

• As much as bots ARE a pain in the butt, and not all that necessary, it is really cool to see bots running around the level :D