Blocking may be broken, guys.

• You were laggin.

whats to explain.

• Like the wise lemon said, you were lagging hard. And i mean HARD, LIKE hARDER THEN MY STONE BODY, and thats pretty hard to beat. There is this new thing that technology came out with, 'tis called desynchronization.

• Your FOV is too high.

Your model is not giving you a good representation of your shield hitbox.

• @Kim:

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/19841-Attacks-going-through-parries-(again)
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/19357-Attacks-going-through-parries

Two threads I made about it, they’ve got some videos in them of attacks going right through my parry.

Both videos show the same issue.

FOV too high.

In the second video you were too close and the stab started around/past-ish your parry hitbox.

The third person death cam makes identifying this alot easier thanks to your video slowdowns.

• Blocking is still broken, considering how easy it is to block most attacks. Glorious butthole blocking.

• I see this all the time and I have great ping. Tons of swing blow right past my parry. I have been saying that there are serious flaws with having an invisible floating box that can lag behind you when you turn and you are never sure when it is actually activated and when it shuts off. The parry animations are barely any help.

I have always said that the parry box should actually be attached to the weapons and shields like they are attached to shields for projectiles and they should always be turned on. They should also be relative to the size and shape of the weapon being used. Thus a pole arm would have a longer thinner parry hit box and daggers would have much smaller hit boxes.

This would be a natural weapon balancer instead of the “one size, fits all” invisible floaty box of fail.

• @Retsnom:

having an invisible floating box that can lag behind you when you turn and you are never sure when it is actually activated and when it shuts off.

This is a really strange way to describe lag.

• @dudeface:

This is a really strange way to describe lag.

I hope you’re joking.

This is how the game calculates your parry or block. Totally comp.

• You need to display the pings if a video like this is going to be of value, Jimmy.

About parrybox lagging behind, isn’t that just a natural phenomenon? Of course the server and consequently the other players see you looking in a different direction than you actually are in any given moment during rotation. I don’t think there’s necessarily anything wrong in the code of the game mechanics here.

What does need a major improvement is the actual server tickrate. No server I’ve played on since patch 24 has been able to refresh more than 15 times a sec at best. I say this assuming that the rate at which character directions are refreshed directly measure the rate at which a server is running at. The fact that some (official) servers let people rotate 90 degrees in a single tick with the turncap during windups and release, in combination with good ol’ lag, could certainly mean that opponents often naturally get past your block/parry in situations that on your side appear like safe blocks.

• Could be packet loss. Pings look fine but it can still be quite laggy.

• When I try to fight shields they block everything, even on their backs and everywhere else

• I have this from time to time as well with my parries. My ping is fine, I always play on the closest servers and I have good swedish internet (as my british friend puts it). I also play on a standard 95 fov so that’s not an issue.

• I’m not saying that blocking isn’t broken (or completely dismissing your video), I think blocking is broken in some respects, but my first impression of the video is that it you appear to be lagging really badly. On a related note, I don’t think any tournament should be played unless everyone can have under 90 ping. It’s not hard, server arrangements can be made so that everyone has good latency; compromise somehow.

• @randomlvl40+:

Your FOV is too high.

Your model is not giving you a good representation of your shield hitbox.

His fov looked like 120 at most, could have been lower. I’m pretty sure he has got used to playing at this fov too, it doesn’t take long.

It’s more than likely lag as others have said. Not really sure what you are talking about.

• This happens to me sometimes too, but I generally dismiss it as lag. Particularly with MaA overheads/alt overheads to the left/right of me. I play on default FoV which I think is 105 now.

To claim blocking is truly broken, you need many many examples of this happening to find consistencies.

• I suffer from a lot of lag from typical AUS internet, I feel it really hold me back when playing MAA which is all about timings and knowing the precise reach.

• I usually don’t have any ping/packet loss issues and this happens to me quite a bit when I use a shield. Especially non-dragged LMBs…

• At 110 fov I rarely have blocking problems other that the occasional mindfuck stab drag with brandistock or the deceivingly delayed overheads or zwie lmbs.