Would early gunpowder weapons fit in the universe?

• I know this might be like the 1000th topic on this topic but please hear me out so I can at least clear up some misconceptions about gunpowder

The game’s universe spans the entire Medieval era and into the early modern era; there are even cannons and such in the background and on the ships. So how would some early guns like matchlock muskets and arquebuses, wheellock pistols and not fit in the game? Its possible to have all of those while keeping the Medieval feel of the game, here are some example pictures

Here are some European mercenaries from the 15th century

As you can see, they pretty much look like the men at arms/archers

Here are some pictures from a later era: the 30 years war period; as you can see they clearly resemble the stereotypical Medieval Knight but with wheellock pistols

• First thing that comes to mind when someone mentions gunpowder weapons in Chivalry is “Great, more stupid archer bullshit to put up with.”

But if you were to give every class some form of matchlock pistol, then it would only be detracting from the melee orientated combat this game is known for. The last thing I would like to see is running up to some chump to stab him, only to get my teeth shot out by the same chucklefuck with his peashooter.

My recommendation: Try DW for all your crazy, pistol business.

• Make a pirate mod. With pirate ships, swash buckling, and pistols.

And rope swings from ship to ship.

And cannons.

• @FartTender:

Make a pirate mod. With pirate ships, swash buckling, and pistols.

And rope swings from ship to ship.

And cannons.

And scurvy!

I would buy that. Or should I say, I would pirate that.

• There are Pirates with early guns in the Deadliest Warrior DLC.

Guns do not suit this game otherwise.

• There are plenty of gun games, no need to ruin this one.

• @Retsnom:

There are plenty of gun games, no need to ruin this one.

^ this

play pirate in DW if you want guns yar matey

• there a very few games out there with muskets and such

And no pirates are waay overdone, I would prefer fresher concept such as the 30 years war, the English Civil War or Khmelnystky uprising which could allow for both melee and ranged combat
    This is what I would prefer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c
    [h=1][/h]

• @Dr:

There are Pirates with early guns in the Deadliest Warrior DLC.

Guns do not suit this game otherwise.

Why not though? If you can have crossbows why not an arquebus?

Also by guns I don’t mean pirates on ship I mean Pike and shot land battles like seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMEnBHef96c

equal parts melee and ranged combat

• just play deadliest warrior? u can play as a pirate and use guns and theres a cannon on one of the maps

• No it wouldn’t.

• Mod

Archers are bad enough.

• Everything would fit into Chivalry universe because it is pure fantasy.

But no, we do not need more weapons that can oneshot even the sturdiest class across the map. If you want to shoot blackpowder weapons, try Deadliest Warrior. Or Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars.

• its medieval warfare, not a early modern warfare.
    arquebus was invented during the renaissance.

• Yeah early gun powder weapons and I mean early gunpowder weapons couldn’t hit a barn door at 20 feet and had a large chance of blowing up in your face.

So if they do implement them they will either be completely useless or OP.

• I could imagine this for a different game but not for Chiv: MW. But I’m not sure how you would balance that

• I played DW in beta, and the first time I came up against a pirate wall of powder weapons I had decided I would not be buying that game.

That and dueling Gauntlet when he was a pirate. Oh man… Gauntlet you ass.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah early gun powder weapons and I mean early gunpowder weapons couldn’t hit a barn door at 20 feet and had a large chance of blowing up in your face.

So if they do implement them they will either be completely useless or OP.

This would be fun to watch, ranged class being blown up by their own weapon.

How about nerf to archer could be a chance that their bows break under high pressure, and the bow cord whipping them across the face for high damage.

• Not in this game. But I can see a game that uses the same kind of mechanics as Chivalry, although with completely redefined classes and all that. Can’t just give an archer a handgonne and not having to drastically alter the knight, the vanguard and the man-at-arms.

• DW has a historically accurate system for balancing them somewhat. A delay between when you click/pull the trigger and when the gun goes bang.

You see in the days before priming caps came around firearms used a different method of priming. When the trigger was pulled a separate reserve of powder was ignited which would then burn it’s way down to the propellant reserve that would launch the projectile. This resulted in a short delay between when the trigger was pulled and when the gun goes bang.

They were also quite unreliable so to nerf them even further you could add random misfires.

I’m not making a judgement on whether they should be added to the game, I’m saying it is possible to balance them. Massive ranged damage that hits instantly could be offset by long reloads, fire delay, and maybe even misfires where the user has the cock the gun again.

Actually fuck it, I’m gonna go ahead and say yes, firearms could have a place in this game and would be hugely enjoyable to use. They could even be secondary weapons for non-archer classes if the were restricted to two shots like throwing axes.