Requesting help: Game does not launch.

• Dear technical support staff,

I bought Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Deadliest Warrior yesterday, but I can not get them to work. :frown-new:

When I start the launcher and press the button PLAY (both Medieval Warfare and Deadliest Warrior) nothing happens.
    There is no process in the task manager.
    I already tried to launch the game directly by opening UDK.exe in Administrator Mode, instead of launching the game through Steam, but then I get an error message which says “C:\Windows\system32\X3DAUDIO1_7.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.”.
    I already verified the game cache in the Steam game library.
    I already reinstalled the game.
    I checked my drivers, updated my video driver.
    I ran the file Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\dxsetup.exe and updated DirectX.
    I haven’t got any other programs running and my firewall/antivirus is off when I try to run the game.
    I haven’t got a Launch.Log file, I don’t even have a folder called UDKGame inside my Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare folder.

Please let me know how to fix this issue. If it’s not possible to be fixed, I request information on how to get a refund. :moody:

Thanks in advance.

Fulkini

• Weird.
    Is “C:\Windows\system32\X3DAUDIO1_7.dll” actually there on your filesystem or is it missing?

I would try to download DirectX from the MS website and install that, in any case. Maybe that’ll fix the bad/missing file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

• @dudeface:

Weird.
    Is “C:\Windows\system32\X3DAUDIO1_7.dll” actually there on your filesystem or is it missing?

I would try to download DirectX from the MS website and install that, in any case. Maybe that’ll fix the bad/missing file.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Thanks for your reply.

The file X3DAUDIO1_7.dll is right there in my sys32 folder. I just downloaded the DX installer again from the link above, but after installing, I still can’t get it to work.

Any other possible fix you know?

~Dulp

• Can you switch Windows to your motherboard audio? Maybe it’s a problem with using your Audigy.

• @dudeface:

Can you switch Windows to your motherboard audio? Maybe it’s a problem with using your Audigy.

Plugged my speakers directly into my motherboard and changed Windows settings to get sound. Still not working. :frown-new:

• I read online that this error message may reference System32 when it actually is using the one from SysWOW64.
    I would try deleting that DLL file from both of those folders, and then run the DX installer again. Maybe the one in SysWOW64 was corrupt (or maybe the DX installer never replaced the corrupt one).

• @dudeface:

I read online that this error message may reference System32 when it actually is using the one from SysWOW64.
    I would try deleting that DLL file from both of those folders, and then run the DX installer again. Maybe the one in SysWOW64 was corrupt (or maybe the DX installer never replaced the corrupt one).

That did it for me! :eagerness: Both the main game and the DLC seem to work perfectly now.

I really appreciate your help, now I can enjoy the game.

I noticed there are several other people complaining about this issue, so it might be a good idea to put this problem (and solution of course) in the Giant Solution List thread.

Thanks again! :)

Fulk

• I’m glad to hear that worked!

I think other people are experiencing crashes at launch for a variety of reasons. This is the first one I’ve seen related to the DX audio I think. In any case, we’ll definitely add it to the list just so the solution doesn’t get lost in the board archives somewhere.

• Developer

Trying to launch the game directly (or “UDKEditor.exe” directly) is probably a good step to remember too, launching through Steam seems to like to suppress this error message and maybe others. I remember someone with this exact error a year or so ago on here.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

Trying to launch the game directly (or “UDKEditor.exe” directly) is probably a good step to remember too, launching through Steam seems to like to suppress this error message and maybe others. I remember someone with this exact error a year or so ago on here.

Yes. Before I fixed those 2 specific DX .dlls, as dudeface suggested, I didn’t receive any error whatsoever when trying to launch the game from Steam. There wasn’t even a process running, according to the task manager. It just didn’t get past the game’s launcher. When running the game directly from the .exe, it did give me a specific error, so I could get it fixed.

Fulk :cheerful: