Where's all the great mods?

• Seriously, am I missing something? This game has been moddable long enough, I was hoping for some decent mods by now. There doesn’t seem to be anything except mana warfare, some thing with giants, and the black knight mod, none of which I’ve seen a server for. Since I started playing again recently I haven’t even seen any servers hosting any new custom maps, just the same old stock maps.

Is there another website that has any mods for this game yet that I’ve totally missed or something? Or is there something about modding the game that just isn’t that easy/great yet for some reason? Wheres the mods?

I was really hoping what happened to Mount & Blade: Warband would happen to this game. This game is begging to be turned into massive castle siege warfare, line battles of roman soldiers, hordes of samurai clashing on tree covered hills (don’t get me started on deadliest warrior. I know it has samurai and spartans, but I DO NOT want to play with both, and pirates, running around together).

• There are the official contest servers, which have a constant rotation of custom maps at the moment :) As well as servers hosted by individuals. We have our custom map “Seaborn” on a constant rotation, and Yarnu has a server where he is kind enough to play many of the contest entries in a constant rotation.

As for Modifications, I think this contest is likely to kickstart new life into the community, and I know that the team I worked with on Seaborn are interested in creating something a little more unusual in the future.

• Mods generally require knowledge of UScript, and finding ~free~ information about it anywhere is getting much more difficult/rare. The documentation on it is mostly explanatory of how the script system and actor classes work. It’s a lot like Java really but learning the syntax takes a bit more than a few “this is what uscript looks like” tutorials for those who are not programming inclined.

Mostly why there are not a lot of “mods”. Custom maps on the other hand… there is plenty of those now. The big map contest just closed it’s submission period today.

• Well the good thing about M&B was that it already had siege warfare programmed into the game and worked fairly well. The difference in Chivalry is that siege warfare, while some parts of it were within the code for the game, weren’t working exactly right. Chiv models interact bizarrely with scaling ladders, Kismet issues with multiple and complex objectives, mesh issues with siege towers etc.

Long story short: The models are there to be used for siege warfare and great mods, but they are still very problematic.

There are many custom maps that do siege warfare/castle assaults very well. Off the top of my head there is… (these aren’t the exact map names, just going by memory. “aocto” indicates Team Objective)

aocto-Whitenest
    aocto-Holygrail
    aocto-Belmez (my personal favourite)
    aocto-ontheedge
    aocto-cavehideout
    aocto-motte&bailey
    aocto-Cove
    aocto-KingsGarden (this is great as well)
    aocto-IrillaShore
    aocto-Seaborn

And these are just the few I can list off the top of my head, there is certainly more I forgot to mention but these are some of your best castle assault maps. There are also fun mods like Giant Slayers, Black Knight mode and Light Sabres for a good laugh.

• Mods would be more popular if there were client-side mods like the ones in L4D2. I would love to have some custom model skins and alternate textures. But I don’t think TB would ever allow that because they want people to buy their helmets and skins.

• @Flippy:

M But I don’t think TB would ever allow that because they want people to buy their helmets and skins.

Ya you are probably right, which is completely ridiculous considering what they offer and for what fucking ridiculous price!

• @Flippy:

Mods would be more popular if there were client-side mods like the ones in L4D2. I would love to have some custom model skins and alternate textures. But I don’t think TB would ever allow that because they want people to buy their helmets and skins.

Yeah, where the hell are my server donator 500% bonus HP/Stamina mods? How does TB expect me to get kills n shit?

• Custom skins, weapons, even stats are all do-able. A buying mod is available somewhere I saw that puts in Counter-Strike style weapon purchases and does away with the rank requirements I think.

Coding is where the kink is at, if someone were to program it and set it up so it’s easy to customize a lot of modding could be done on it. And just maybe TB would pick it up and set up a hat shop like TF2.

• SDK came out way too late. When 95% of their buyers already dropped the interest in the game.

• Custom skins, weapons, even stats are all do-able. A buying mod is available somewhere I saw that puts in Counter-Strike style weapon purchases and does away with the rank requirements I think.

Except these are all server side.