Idea to help lessen confusion for new players.

• Hello!

My idea is pretty simple, it came to me the other day when my friend was playing chivalry for the first time.
    He kept complaining that he could not tell the difference between team colours, which is a fair argument, and one I have heard many times before. The customization can be very confusing. (I personally like it)

So, since customization is obviously here to stay, how about we come up with a work around?

We all know that people in our steam friends list have a little arrow pointing at them in game, so why not make some sort of marker that floats above all team mates?

The functionality is already there, and I feel it would remove a lot of confusion, especially for beginners.
    (but also the vets who like to complain)

It could be as simple as a circle above all teammates heads, with the appropriate team colour.
    Of course something like this would need to be toggle-able. Preferably in a stand alone way, so I can still have my normal HUD if I want.

I would prefer if it was NOT visible through walls.
    It would also be cool that, if instead of a circle, it was a bar, and the bar got smaller depending on the remaining health of the team mate.

What do you guys think?
    Also, for all the people who say it is a bad idea, I have two counter arguments.

First: Steam friends already have markers over their heads and many “pros” have their entire team visible this way. Including it in the game without the need to friend everyone is not adding some new cheap feature.

Second: The markers would be toggle-able (I hope), and would not be a distraction unless you wanted them to be.

• Kishido server in Japan has markers above all your teammates. It’s kinda neat. Not sure how they achieved that.

• Mod

I think it should be a video option that is enabled when first installed. Allow it to be something that can be toggled and I see no issues with it. Good idea to be honest. Not really a cheat to see who your team mates are. In scrims every player has a similar thing (Yellow diamonds)

• @dudeface:

Kishido server in Japan has markers above all your teammates. It’s kinda neat. Not sure how they achieved that.

There is option for that in server config.

• Is there? Interesting. I might give that a try.

• red and blue are pretty easy to spot, but the problem is blood on agatha costumes, and the DLC models / skins make it hard.

There should be a way to disable DLC for yourself.

• I think people need to be colourblind tested.

Hell I know a properly colourblind person who can tell the difference fine as it is.

DLC models makes it easier. Mason models have no shirts on while agatha models do.

• My rule of them is when they are covered in blood and move towards me hitting then I take swift action.
    usually as they are so low on health and stamina I find a forward kick finishes them off. Lets not forget
    some are team switched and forget that sometimes hence a mystery team mate attacks thinking he is
    still on the other side.

• @lemonater47:

I think people need to be colourblind tested.

Hell I know a properly colourblind person who can tell the difference fine as it is.

DLC models makes it easier. Mason models have no shirts on while agatha models do.

yea hehe the models aren’t closely related at all. Except the default vanguards when they lose their helmets

• I’d say give this a shot, I’d like to see it tweaked though. Kind of like in FPS games, when you hover over the player, it points out to you that they’re on your team…So that the markers don’t flood your screen with hud and make things like archer difficult to play.

• Just more screen clutter. No thanks.

• @Flippy:

Just more screen clutter. No thanks.

Still wouldn’t be as bad as BF4’s screen clutter.

• Ick. That’s as bad as planetside 2.

• i know why i prefer Red Orchestra 2 over the battlefield series… and i think its better to play^^

• Insurgency has a nice system for identifying team mates. Very little clutter on the screen.

• i had it enabled on my server for a bit… some people liked it and some didn’t. Also… if you’re on the defending team… peasants have icons above them :/

it can be pretty annoying in games like stoneshill first objective… the markers look pretty hectic.

i liked them, but i’m pretty sure that’s why i disabled them on the server.

• It is not more “screen clutter” assuming it will be toggle-able.

Which is stated in the OP explicitly.

Please read before you post meaningless things.

• @dudeface:

Kishido server in Japan has markers above all your teammates. It’s kinda neat. Not sure how they achieved that.

yeah its great for encouraging teamwork because players will naturally gravitate towards the teammate markers

• @zombojoe:

players will naturally gravitate towards the teammate markers

You know what happens when the noobs gravitate toward you, right? Clusterfucks happen, and lmbspam begins.