Idea to help lessen confusion for new players.

• I think that adding markers for all team mates is a bit much to be honest. Even with 3-5 friends on one team and things get a bit crazy and I need to keep turning the HUD on and off again. On big open maps like Battlegrounds or medium maps like Dark Forest, you would have markers everywhere as you can see a whole lot of the battlefield.

I can only see these markers helping the newer players, but it still won’t teach them to drag away from the marker unless it eventually gets incorporated into the tutorial. And with everyone running around and how fast paced this game can be, there will be little markers everywhere.

But to me I think newer players will just need to learn to differentiate between factions (like we all did), as well as learning to drag away from team mates if you are about to hit them and to primarily stab and overhead in cluster fights.

• Add the ability to change the size of markers.

• Mindless teamkilling happens far more than misidentification.

• Yep.

While the variety of customization doesn’t help, I think the problem lies with people just not giving a shit when it comes to team mates.

If the tutorial ever gets redone, there should be a section where they drill the player into making sure that know that stabbing and overheading is best used when team mates are close by. Add in some Clockwerk Orange Ultra Violence style teaching method and you’re golden.

• how about remake the entire tutorial since its so broken atm

• @zombojoe:

how about remake the entire tutorial since its so broken atm

No, that would be the smart thing to do.

• Add in some Clockwerk Orange Ultra Violence style teaching method and you’re golden.

The player gets smacked with a large penis statue every time they hit a teammate.

• I just went through the tutorial again. I don’t really see that much of a problem with it. It teaches all the basics you need to jump right into the game while being fully interactive.

The only issues that happen are some bugs and tutorials like these are generally long anyway.

Here’s a list of what the tutorial teaches:

First how to time your parry, since you cannot turn or move. Also that successful parries drain stamina.
    Then, how to aim your parry, by keeping your sights on the tip of the weapon.
    How to slash, stab, and overhead, and the basic strengths of stabbing and overheading.
    It teaches you that missing attacks drain stamina.
    It teaches you how to kick (not fast or slow since that was a new addition).
    Teaches you how you can use a kick to get past a block.
    Teaches you that you can get past a block by attacking your opponent’s sides.
    It teaches you about spacing (getting your opponent to whiff an attack and capitalize on it)
    It teaches you about combos
    It teaches you about basic trickery, such as feinting and purposefully whiffing your first attack.
    It teaches you about each class and their abilities.
    It teaches you about siege weapons and objective markers.
    It teaches you that Agatha wears blue, and Mason wears red, which is obviously a red vs blue team game, and even makes you fight some mason thugs.
    It teaches you about TAB for scoreboard
    It teaches you about how to battlecry.

The only thing it doesn’t really teach you DIRECTLY is that you are able to use feinting defensively (FtP and CFtP), and how to FULLY abuse the real-time strikes system. A player will catch on that they are able to move their weapon mid-swing in the tutorial though, especially during the part where they have to hit around the dude’s block.

The only thing I actually have a problem with is that it doesn’t mention anything about ripostes. And differing between both kicks.

• @DokB:

No, that would be the smart thing to do.

aww shucks

• @NoVaLombardia:

snip

All that stuff you mentioned is indeed mentioned in the tutorial, but how many times have we seen new players who come onto the forums and complaining that their parries don’t work or that you people do “crazy swings” and ballerina dancing? Personally, I think new players should discover these things for themselves and not have it necessarily spoon fed to them in a tutorial, nor should they think that they are necessarily a bad thing when they get killed by it.

There is only so much that you can program AI bots to teach players in a tutorial. This is why I feel they need to update it and maybe just provide an in game video to watch which shows a player in first person blocking or attacking and showing them the more in depth mechanics like FtP, CFtP etc.

It shouldn’t be a 1v1 scenario, but if TB were able to agree on a good piece of footage to include in a game and give people an in game prompt of “Do you want to watch a video of X technique being demonstrated?” then it would be great for helping new players catch on.

For example: Having someone’s first person perspective (with no HUD) of them in a true online experience where they are using techniques like FtP, CFtP or showing how to stab/overhead around peoples parries/shields (and of course, how to counter this by turning hard into your parries or crouching and leaning back hard for catching the over the shoulder overhead). Maybe even have commentary as well.

• @DokB:

stuff

Well you’d be surprised (or shouldn’t be) about what percentage of the people that bought the game actually went through the tutorial. It’s probably less than 5%. Those that didn’t go through the tutorial are most likely the people that are complaining.

• most of the people that bought this game played for 1 hour and quit after being killed by rank 50s

• @zombojoe:

most of the people that bought this game played for 1 hour and quit after being killed by rank 50s

No, because most of those people quit after getting stomped by other low rank people in low rank servers.

• @NoVaLombardia:

I just went through the tutorial again. I don’t really see that much of a problem with it. It teaches all the basics you need to jump right into the game while being fully interactive.

The only issues that happen are some bugs and tutorials like these are generally long anyway.

Here’s a list of what the tutorial teaches:

First how to time your parry, since you cannot turn or move. Also that successful parries drain stamina.
    Then, how to aim your parry, by keeping your sights on the tip of the weapon.
    How to slash, stab, and overhead, and the basic strengths of stabbing and overheading.
    It teaches you that missing attacks drain stamina.
    It teaches you how to kick (not fast or slow since that was a new addition).
    Teaches you how you can use a kick to get past a block.
    Teaches you that you can get past a block by attacking your opponent’s sides.
    It teaches you about spacing (getting your opponent to whiff an attack and capitalize on it)
    It teaches you about combos
    It teaches you about basic trickery, such as feinting and purposefully whiffing your first attack.
    It teaches you about each class and their abilities.
    It teaches you about siege weapons and objective markers.
    It teaches you that Agatha wears blue, and Mason wears red, which is obviously a red vs blue team game, and even makes you fight some mason thugs.
    It teaches you about TAB for scoreboard
    It teaches you about how to battlecry.

The only thing it doesn’t really teach you DIRECTLY is that you are able to use feinting defensively (FtP and CFtP), and how to FULLY abuse the real-time strikes system. A player will catch on that they are able to move their weapon mid-swing in the tutorial though, especially during the part where they have to hit around the dude’s block.

The only thing I actually have a problem with is that it doesn’t mention anything about ripostes. And differing between both kicks.

Fully abuse the real time strikes? Dude… simple accelerations and delays are abuse of real time strikes? I also don’t expect the tutorial to teach about b0ckhits and shit. But the very basics.

While it might give you a hint about dynamic attacks, it gives you a Cudgel (weapon that has poor control) and they tell you to hit a bot that is using a shield. I would say this is the worst environment possible to learn about swing manipulations since you will not learn about speed manipulation of the attack or how the tracer system works. Its just like, run to his sides and stab, or overhead it until you hit and thats it.

This is highlighted by the fact that a shitton of people doesn’t think that slashing through your allies will fuck with them, because they got their crosshairs on the head of an opponent, and there is where he expects to hit because he doesn’t know that hit detection is made from your swing animation. Remember that in most of the games, the melee is nothing but a zero range ak-47.

One can have the counter-strike melee mechanics mentality, and the part where you have to bypass the bot’s shield doesn’t deconstructs it. In other worlds, it is a very poor presentation of a fundamental mechanics. Which eventually leads us to the general toxicity of this community.

• @NoVaLombardia:

No, because most of those people quit after getting stomped by other low rank people in low rank servers.

its a well known fact rank 50s have smurfs that they use on the low rank servers

• @Vanguard:

Fully abuse the real time strikes? Dude… simple accelerations and delays are abuse of real time strikes?

Learn to detect negative connotation. There was none in that sentence.

Let’s face it, they aren’t going to learn to fully exploit the system to its full potential in the tutorial. They aren’t going to immediately think of insta-hits or hitting people near the end of a release state. They won’t think of lookdowns or backswings or reverse overheads. They don’t even know what weapons have long release states (which would make it easier to learn).

While you have to hit a bot around that shield, hes following you at a relatively good enough speed. It requires you to run around the dude and attack his sides. So it hints on the use of footwork by you having to figure out how to get around the block (THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO TEACH SOMEONE – FORCING THEM TO FIGURE IT OUT).

It’s not nearly as good as the top players in the game who can block pretty much every attack, but you don’t need to desconstruct it step-by-step in order for them to figure out how to to bypass a lower level’s block. Spoon feeding them by deconstructing a way to get around a block will only show them how to do it ONE way and doesn’t offer any opening of creativity, which is what we should be teaching them to use. By forcing them to figure it out, they learn it quicker, and they can easier learn multiple ways of doing it.

• @NoVaLombardia:

Learn to detect negative connotation. There was none in that sentence.

Let’s face it, they aren’t going to learn to fully exploit the system to its full potential in the tutorial. They aren’t going to immediately think of insta-hits or hitting people near the end of a release state. They won’t think of lookdowns or backswings or reverse overheads. They don’t even know what weapons have long release states (which would make it easier to learn).

While you have to hit a bot around that shield, hes following you at a relatively good enough speed. It requires you to run around the dude and attack his sides. So it hints on the use of footwork by you having to figure out how to get around the block (THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO TEACH SOMEONE – FORCING THEM TO FIGURE IT OUT).

It’s not nearly as good as the top players in the game who can block pretty much every attack, but you don’t need to desconstruct it step-by-step in order for them to figure out how to to bypass a lower level’s block. Spoon feeding them by deconstructing a way to get around a block will only show them how to do it ONE way and doesn’t offer any opening of creativity, which is what we should be teaching them to use. By forcing them to figure it out, they learn it quicker, and they can easier learn multiple ways of doing it.

Yes, but I was talking about accelerated and delayed attacks. To bypass that shield guy you have to do some basic footwork + aiming and thats it. It’s not a good explaination on how swing manipulation works.

For that, we would need a greatsword or some other 2h weapon on the players hand, and a bot with no shield that will parry non delayed/accelerated attacks. “Hit me 3 times with accels, and 3 times with delays”. IMO, something like this would be much, much better for the new players.

Also, I was talking about deconstructing the melee idea that every other game has - people don’t know about dynamic hit detection based on the weapon model and trajectory. In fact, if people knew this, I bet they would parry much better at lower ranks, and maybe those who care would know better how to avoid being a TK machine.

I’m not saying to spoonfeed shit to noobs, I just think a better explaination over the game mechanics is needed. This is based on my experience with new players, all of them get amazed when you talk about swing manipulation and I belive that this means that the tutorial is lacking (note that I ask them if they did the tutorial).

• This has been derailed into a thread about the tutorial and the noobs that do not do it.
    please just post about the original topic.

We all know the tutorial should be mandatory before going online, but it probably not going to happen.

So the general consensus is no to a bar to indicate team mates?
    I can’t understand why people wouldn’t want something that is toggle-able and completely stand alone.

Seems like most of you did not even read the OP, and chose to voice complaints about nothing.
    Go find your own meaningless post to say that stuff in.

Perhaps in the “other” section.

• @dudeface:

Is there? Interesting. I might give that a try.

For anyone looking for this option it’s in the pcservergameudk.ini and is:

bAlwaysShowTeamMarkers=False

• @FartTender:

This has been derailed into a thread about the tutorial and the noobs that do not do it.
    please just post about the original topic.

We all know the tutorial should be mandatory before going online, but it probably not going to happen.

So the general consensus is no to a bar to indicate team mates?
    I can’t understand why people wouldn’t want something that is toggle-able and completely stand alone.

Seems like most of you did not even read the OP, and chose to voice complaints about nothing.
    Go find your own meaningless post to say that stuff in.

Perhaps in the “other” section.

Doesn’t matter if it’s toggle-able or not, it would still be an annoying, unnecessary feature.