Server won't launch with -seekfreeloadingserver

• Hi, I’ve been following this guide:
    http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/8288-Dedicated-server-download-and-configuration-guide

And everything goes fine until I add the seekfreeloading parameter to the command line, where the server doesn’t even open and occasionally opens a direct x diagnostic tool??

http://steamcommunity.com/app/219640/discussions/0/630802979586347400/

Seems the same issue here.
    This is what the line looks like currently:
    UDK.exe server AOCFFA-Moor_p?dedicated=true?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver

I’m launching the 32bit UDK.exe from the client files.
    I’d love any assistance, thanks.

• Just wanted to check why is the word ‘server’ after udk.exe?
    Also not sure if it makes any difference the first variable after mapname take ?, then other thing tend to take - ,so give the following a try:

UDKGame.exe aocffa-moor_P?steamsockets -dedicated=true -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7778

• I’m using the client files, not dedicated server files - which is why I’m using ‘server’.
    It’s also why I’m using UDK not UDKGame (since it doesn’t exist in client files).

No difference using the -dedicated=true, as I said it launches fine without the -seekfreeloadingserver argument.

• well… can you post a copy of your launch.log, it might have something useful to explain the crash :) (you can also use the -log option when launching)

• Init: Version: 10246
    Init: Epic Internal: 0
    Init: Compiled (32-bit): May 27 2014 10:34:15
    Init: Changelist: 1340247
    Init: Command line: server AOCFFA-Moor_p?dedicated=true?steamsockets -seekfreeloadingserver -Port=7777 -log
    Init: Base directory: F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32
    [0000.29] Init: Computer: xxPoonstar
    [0000.29] Init: User: Admin
    [0000.29] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
    [0000.29] Init: High frequency timer resolution =3.117788 MHz
    [0000.29] Init: Memory total: Physical=15.9GB (15GB approx) Pagefile=31.9GB Virtual=4.0GB
    [0000.29] Log: Steam Client API not initialized (not required for servers)
    [0000.50] Log: Steam Game Server API initialized 1
    [0000.50] Init: Presizing for 83221 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
    [0000.50] Init: Object subsystem initialized
    [0000.50] DevDataBase: Connection to “Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=production-db;Initial Catalog=EngineTaskPerf;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Connection Timeout=2” or
    “10.1.20.20” failed
    [0000.50] Log: SystemSettings::LoadFromIni in file …\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini section: SystemSettings
    [0000.50] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM3
    [0001.93] Log: PhysX GPU Support: DISABLED
    [0002.00] Init: Initializing FaceFX…
    [0002.01] Init: FaceFX 1.7.4 initialized.
    [0002.01] Critical: appError called: Failed to find file for package Core for async preloading.
    [0002.01] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
    Steam_: Saved dump file to ‘F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\udk_18915_crash_2014_7_6T11_13_55C0.mdmp’
    Steam_: Saved dump file to ‘F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\udk_18915_crash_2014_7_6T11_13_55C0.mdmp’

Without -seekfreeloadingserver:

[0000.43] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM3
    [0000.46] Log: PhysX GPU Support: DISABLED
    [0000.46] Init: Initializing FaceFX…
    [0000.46] Init: FaceFX 1.7.4 initialized.
    [0000.47] Log: Read config file: …\Engine\Localization\INT\Core.INT
    [0000.50] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Localization\INT\Engine.INT
    [0000.50] Log: Read config file: …\Engine\Localization\INT\Engine.INT
    [0002.17] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Config\DefaultWeapon.ini
    [0002.17] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Config\DefaultWeapon.ini
    [0002.17] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Config\UDKWeapon.ini
    [0002.20] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Config\DefaultCharInfo.ini
    [0002.20] Log: Read config file: …\UDKGame\Config\DefaultCharInfo.ini

• Just wanted to check a couple of things:

open your Steam library, right click Chiv, go to properties and choose to opt out from all betas
    I assume you’ve tried reverifying the game cache? Any missing files/downloads?
    Although a very obscure and unlikely issue, do you have Google+ Hangout open
    Is your C+ redistribute up to date for your system??
    If you have AVG, can you try temporarily disabling it and try again - it’s been known to cause the occasional issue

From the logs it looks like it’s looking for a file - but can’t tell whether this is something it’s expecting to find within a library.

• Opt out of all betas is currently selected.
    Have tried revalidating yeah, did a fresh one then and still same issue.

Don’t have google hangouts.
    C++ redistributable afaik is up to date.

Don’t have AVG, only MSE and it’s probably set to low priority - certainly won’t intrude with anything here.

Edit:
    Launch.log file isn’t terribly helpful, cuts off:

Init: Command line: server AOCFFA-Moor_p?dedicated=true?steamsockets -Port=7777 -log -seekfreeloadingserver
    Init: Base directory: F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32
    [0000.17] Init: Computer: MLGSillystring
    [0000.17] Init: User: Admin
    [0000.17] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
    [0000.17] Init: High frequency timer resolution =3.117788 MHz
    [0000.17] Init: Memory total: Physical=15.9GB (15GB approx) Pagefile=31.9GB Virtual=4.0GB
    [0000.17] Log: Steam Client API not initialized (not required for servers)
    [0000.37] Log: Steam Game Server API initialized 1
    [0000.37] Init: Presizing for 83221 objects not consi

• There’s no chance you have uncooked maps in the cookedsdk or similar areas is there? (might be easier to move any custom maps elsewhere temporarily and try again).

Although it’s a pain to do, I’ve often seen this type of error relating to kernalbase issues. Any chance you could create a 2nd windows user account on the computer then try and launch chivalry from there?

Rapidly running out of ideas :O

• @MonkeyFiend:

There’s no chance you have uncooked maps in the cookedsdk or similar areas is there? (might be easier to move any custom maps elsewhere temporarily and try again).

Could be on the right track here.
    Though I just moved the entire contents of CookedSDK out and still failed.

It’s possible that something might’ve landed in CookedPC or a similar folder, I’ve fiddled with mods in the past.
    Do I need a script to try and weed out any potentially foreign files? I’ve no idea what should and shouldn’t be there.

Edit: Had a good look through, moved all custom maps out but still having issuessssss.
    If I made a new account would that require redownloading the game?

• @viral:

Could be on the right track here.
    Though I just moved the entire contents of CookedSDK out and still failed.

It’s possible that something might’ve landed in CookedPC or a similar folder, I’ve fiddled with mods in the past.
    Do I need a script to try and weed out any potentially foreign files? I’ve no idea what should and shouldn’t be there.

Edit: Had a good look through, moved all custom maps out but still having issuessssss.
    If I made a new account would that require redownloading the game?

I don’t think there’s any tools to weed out foreign files. You could create a new steam account then use the friends & family thing to provide access to that account from the computer you are on. This would work if it’s an account issue, but not if it’s some files within chivalry that are causing issues (since it’d be using the same files as your regular account).

Did you try the second windows user account thing?

• This post is deleted!

• Just made a second windows user, didn’t change anything.
    Redownloading chiv is a definite last resort since I live in Australia and it would take quite a while :/

Is it even possible to host from the client files with -seekfreeloadingserver ?
    If somebody could verify that they have it working on their machine that’d be helpful.

• Take a look at this page…

ftp://ftp.sonsofexiled.fr/Chivalry/serveur/Chivalry%20-%20ServerDoc.pdf

I have read these 3 work together.

-seekfreeloadingserver -nohomedir -unattended

• @Click:

Take a look at this page…

ftp://ftp.sonsofexiled.fr/Chivalry/serveur/Chivalry%20-%20ServerDoc.pdf

I have read these 3 work together.

-seekfreeloadingserver -nohomedir -unattended

There was nothing I haven’t seen in that pdf (pretty much a copy of the guide I linked in first post), not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for?

And blindly appending arguments tends to not help.
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CommandLineArguments.html

• Still no luck w/ this by the way

• Still can’t think of anything obvious

The logs show:

[0002.01] Critical: appError called: Failed to find file for package Core for async preloading.
    [0002.01] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)

When the thing crashes, we sometimes get the udk.exe has encountered a problem type error, the technical details in that show what module the fault occurred in. Could be something like kernalbase.dll as I mentioned before, but difficult to tell based on the info I can see.

And now for a bit of a scattergun approach:
    Can’t remember if I’ve mentioned it already, but also worth renaming the config folder in documents/my games in case anything odd has crept into the configs. I’d also try a reinstall of the visual C++ runtimes. What’s the AV on the system? (If Kaspersky try it in compatibility mode). Is uPNP on or off on the router? You don’t have any odd overlays like ati tray tools running? (or MSI afterburner)

I still find the logs a bit odd that’s there’s nothing between the can’t find file specified error and the writing of the minidumps

My gut feeling is it’s going to turn out to be a kernalbase issue, but would need to get more info to confirm it

• Embarrassingly, I think I was looking at the wrong logs.
    Was reading the ones in the steamapps folder + output from -log, but in MyGames/Chiv :

[0001.32] Init: Initializing FaceFX…
    [0001.32] Init: FaceFX 1.7.4 initialized.
    [0001.32] Critical: appError called: Failed to find file for package Core for async preloading.
    [0001.32] Critical: Windows GetLastError: The system cannot find the file specified. (2)
    [0004.00] Log: === Critical error: ===
    Failed to find file for package Core for async preloading.

Address = 0x754f0f22 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll]
    Address = 0x13550a1 (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x12f2101 (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x136cef1 (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x1dd4f75 (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x1dd578b (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]
    Address = 0x12f20db (filename not found) [in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\chivalrymedievalwarfare\Binaries\Win32\UDK.exe]

So yeah, kernelbase issue after all - good call.
    Still, had no success making a new windows account and trying to launch it so not really sure what I can do to fix that?

• well that an embuggerance, as faults in that module are notoriously difficult to pin down :P

I’d always start with a quick update of gfx drivers. That’s assuming the reinstall of the visual C++ runtimes went ok.

I’d probably start with safe mode & networking, once system boots, try again. If it works on this occasion it’ll point to 3rd party software

I’d also try a quick reregistering of the library (from an administrator command prompt: do regsvr32 kernelbase.dll
    The usual questions apply for any new software installed recently, especially the likes of iTunes (or anything that faffs with video/sound/codec type stuff. System restore to an older date when it worked if that’s an option.

The bit about corrupt user profiles, is on MS site here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

I’d also try manually editing the configs to see if you can set a lower resolution temporarily and see if it works (would then point towards gfx issues) or you can use -resx 1024 & -resy 786 in the launch options.

Also wanted to check that steam is running of the F:, this hasn’t be restored from a different drive letter or anything recently?
    An obscure fault can also be in audio playback (seems bit odd but has worked in the past), if you right click on the audio icon in sys tray > playback devices > Playback tab > select speakers/headphones > properties > advanced and check it’s set (or set it to) 16bit, 48k and try again. If it still crashes try disabling audio on the system, more just to see if it’s related to sound

• Ran the install for VC++ runtimes again, nothing changed.
    Updated GFX drivers, tried safe mode w/ networking (sound disabled by default), tried running at a lower res but so far no luck.

regsvr32 kernelbase.dll is giving me an error message and google was less than helpful so not entire sure what I can do there.
    Made a new account but it still wouldn’t launch so I figured following the steps on that page would be redundant.

Don’t have anything crazy with audio going on, I use a USB DAC but having run in safe mode with audio disabled should’ve shown if there was a related.

I moved chiv from C:\ to F:\ through backing up the game files via steam, then reinstalling them on the other drive some time ago, steam install has never moved.

16bit sound is enabled.

Sent you a friend request on steam if that’d help, but it seems like at this point have exhausted all options and it just isn’t going to happen. :(

• MMmk reinstall did nothing (unsurprisingly).
    Pretty stumped, if anyone else has some suggestions I’m all ears.