Idea for a new knight special ability.

• The knight is the only class that really doesn’t have an apparent special ability. Its original special ability was described as tanking but it was never actually given any extra something to help with that. That is why I am thinking that if the knight gets a new special ability perhaps it should be the ability to more rapidly regen stamina while crouching, just like how the mechanic was before or maybe even a bit better. A more reliable stam regen would allow it to fulfill its original tanking role as it was originally described.

• The stamina kneel is one of the better knight special ideas I’ve seen bandied about, but I’d rather we just delete vanguard charge. Then the knight wouldn’t feel left out :)

• Dudeface, I disagree with deleting the charge. The charge (non-sword) works as a great execution on unprepared opponents. I think the sword charge needs to be changed to the non-sword charge.

I’m not sure how I feel about giving knight a special like that. More stamina is great for defense and keeping up with team battles, which is what a knight should do. However it also boosts his offensive potential more by allowing him to regen more quickly to feint more, making him harder to beat in solo combat.

I’d rather see knights get better damage mitigation against ranged projectiles so they take less damage from archers, acting as a hard counter to archer damage and actually making the knight more of a tank.

• *Where is that asshole who said taking 1 extra hit is enough for the knight’s special to stand on its own?

• @omg87:

*Where is that asshole who said taking 1 extra hit is enough for the knight’s special to stand on its own?

If it was a flat 1 hit for all weapons it’d make sense, but his special is completely obliterated by maul, grand mace, polehammer, brandistock, and other anti-knight blunt weapons. I still think it’s a great special, but it is lack luster. Giving another special I worry too much about boosting the knight into godhood once again. Remember the old SoW deep feint forward chase knights?

• @Gauntlet:

If it was a flat 1 hit for all weapons it’d make sense, but his special is completely obliterated by maul, grand mace, polehammer, brandistock, and other anti-knight blunt weapons. I still think it’s a great special, but it is lack luster. Giving another special I worry too much about boosting the knight into godhood once again. Remember the old SoW deep feint forward chase knights?

YES. I remember saying this a year ago but I was immediately shot down because people wanted knights to be irrelevant. I also remember how everyone and their mother went Sword of Shit Knight. Those days are long gone. More stamina would be nice, but it’d be one of those things that might put them over the edge. Personally, I want something to be able to close the gap between knockbacks and Man at Arms dodge.

But that’s just me.

Oh and a longsword buff.

• I’d rather see knights get better damage mitigation against ranged projectiles so they take less damage from archers, acting as a hard counter to archer damage and actually making the knight more of a tank.

I like this idea.

• That is an interesting idea. What about removing flinch from projectiles as well?

• Pff removing flinch from projectiles should be done for every class.

Giving Knights some extra stamina, or at least something that has to do with stamina, feels like a very suitable buff.

• I want that curved metal armor to actually do something against arrows. TBS pls, make knights archers’ nightmare.

• Was Sword of War even more powerful in a past patch or something? I didn’t play this game much before 2014.

If this was Deadliest Warrior or Chiv 2, my idea would’ve been to let the Knight expend stamina to unleash an unflinchable (but still able to be parried or blocked) attack. Might give him an even bigger presence in teamfight since he’s designed to take the tradehits. Don’t know if this would be appropriate for Chivalry MW as it is now though. I’d be more than happy to be able to shrug off arrows more easily lol.

• Sword of War and Longsword could reliably 2 shot vanguard with any attack and 3 shot knight with any attack.

Sword of war did 47 damage to a knight with a headshot stab, which allowed for a pole-axe torso hit to kill.

So sword vanguards were pretty redundant at this point (yes even greatsword was over-shadowed at this point, especially with the forward chase).

• dancing vanguards were still effective but good ones who parried were rare

gotta remember dancing was x10 better before the joon patch, especially for vans

• @NoVaLombardia:

Sword of War and Longsword could reliably 2 shot vanguard with any attack and 3 shot knight with any attack.

Sword of war did 47 damage to a knight with a headshot stab, which allowed for a pole-axe torso hit to kill.

So sword vanguards were pretty redundant at this point (yes even greatsword was over-shadowed at this point, especially with the forward chase).

and Messer was poop at the time as well

• Remove flinch in release from projectiles for all classes.

Remove flinch in windup from projectiles for Knights Only and/or 33% damage reduction from ranged attacks but only 15% less vs bodkins. They are wearing full plate armour… It also gives archers more reason to chose bodkin over broadheads.

Then knights would be much more useful then.

• a buff against projectiles for knights lets see it happen

• Hold up a little - as an Archer all classes can give me a headache if they get up close. That said I’ll always aim for a Vanguard over a Knight or MAA every day since they can’t carry a shield, and a Vanguard can also one shot kill me with most of their armoury. A Knight is my next priority target due to the huge HP difference between the classes. That said, most Knights will have a shield as part of their load out. If when playing a Knight you’re walking into a defensive line of Archers and not carrying your shield, frankly you’re asking for trouble.

If you nerf the Archer damage to Knight via projectiles then you make the Knight pretty much unstoppable by an Archer due to the overall HP difference - that’s fine but I can see everyone then playing as a Knight. So, much like there’s a team limit for Archers on most servers, I think you’d end up having to do the same for Knights.

Also projectile flinching is something I actively try to do. I mostly play with Shortbow and will purposefully try outflank and then flinch enemies to stop them engaging friendlies. I rarely end up on the top of the scoreboard since I don’t often claim many outright kills, however I do get a fair few assists and generally end up on the winning side.