Game desperately needs some skill matchmaking balance

• @SEALBoy:

That’s really not the point.

the game decided to put 7 of 9 lvl 40+ players on one team,

Shouldn’t have used that in your argument then.

• What rank are you and what is your playtime?

Usually if you ask in chat if some people can switch to even out the stacked teams, there are some kind souls who will, as long as you are nice about it. Then again, rank is not indicative of skill, only kill count. So if you get good enough you will be trashing rank 40+ players in no time by putting the hours in.

Or just go heavy crossbow and trash anyone who tries to mess with you, that weapon doesn’t give half a shit what rank you are.

• Well I think there are a few ways to make this easier to fix, without touching the current autobalance-system at all(because we know how much TB seems to hate that).

For starters, one of the latest patches made it so that players are only seen on the scoreboard if they have already spawned on that team. It also only shows you the class you are atm or died as, not the class you may have selected afterwards.
    These “mechanics” make it hard to balance teams out manually, and even a lot harder than it already is in LTS matches because it will take an entire round for the scoreboard to update the team playercount and classes.
    This just needs to be reverted, was fine and much more informative the way it was before.

Another option would be to, instead of killing the player and subtracting 10 points from his score when switching teams, it’ll say “You will switch to Mason in 10 seconds”. (and of course perform the action)

There were times where I would constantly switch teams mid-match but recently I’ve grown rather tired of it. Screwing up my beautiful pretty score, dealing with respawn times, spawning only to find out everyone else had the same idea as me and the balance between teams has done a complete 180… it’s really not worth the trouble anymore for me.

• @Flippy:

Shouldn’t have used that in your argument then.

There’s still a strong correlation between rank and skill. I was just using an example where the correlation was true and resulted in a very uneven match.

Skill matchmaking doesn’t need to use rank. It can use other measures of skill. It just needs to happen.

• @SEALBoy:

There’s still a strong correlation between rank and skill. I was just using an example where the correlation was true and resulted in a very uneven match.

Skill matchmaking doesn’t need to use rank. It can use other measures of skill. It just needs to happen.

I’d say there is more of a correlation between hours and skill. Some people get rank 50 in 400-500 hours, others in more than double that time.

• @SEALBoy:

this game isnt competitive enough for matchmaking, its not like dota or CSGO

its usually a 12v12 clusterfuck of people dicking around like TF2, if you are getting outplayed by better players avoid fighting them alone

• He doesn’t mean matchmaking like in Dota.

He means he wants this:
    A rank 50 joins a server and there are 10 mason playing and 8 agatha. The 10 masons have a total rank of 200 (rank 25 average) whilst the Agatha side has a total rank of 320 (rank 40 average). The new rank 50 player will only be allowed to join the Mason side, making it 11 mason (rank 250) vs 8 agatha (rank 320) hopefully balancing it out a bit better than the rank 50 adding to the stacked side.

However the game is also meant to be fun for everyone and playing with your friends is fun. Therefor the rank calculation should take into consideration of friends list. If a side has a friend listed person on it, then for the purpose of calculating to tal rank it would be your rank / 2. Then allow a 10-20% leeway on total rank.

This would prevent massive one sided stacks, whilst also allowing friends to play on the same time more often than not.

• I don’t think he intends for the team numbers to be that imbalanced, but for it to swap high and low rank players once in a while.

• @Flippy:

Rank has nothing to do with skill, it’s just a kill-counter.

Well yeah, but in general higher rank players are more skilled than low rank ones…. Ofc matchmaking shouldn’t be based on rank, but it does give you a general idea of a player’s skill. Once you get to rank 40+ it really becomes more and more meaningless as (in general) players get closer to the indeterminate skill ceiling.

• Ranked 5v5/3v3/1v1 matchmaking would be a godsend for this game

• Join the Moorland Skirmishers Servers, auto balance is never on and you can play on a team with 22 vs 10 if you wish. I’ll be on the 10 along with the other Skirmishers. I like being outnumbered, feels all the more fun. 8.6.15.19

Crushed, the Moorland Skirmishers - Gentleman’s club is the place for you. its was 4v4. 8.6.3.61
    (Just changed it to a 13 player server though)

-Baron von Moorland

• @CRUSHED:

Ranked 5v5/3v3/1v1 matchmaking would be a godsend for this game

yeah i want to show off my big sword to my enemies as i whack them with it

destroy randoms so ez, way more satisfying than random pubbing

• The game has a steep learning curve but I’ve always enjoyed the challenge it has presented. Playing against better players will eventually make you a better player and if you’re cool to some of those better players they may even take the time to show you a few things.

• Playing against better players does increase the speed you learn at, up to a point. When your opponent is significantly better than you, you will end up learning much slower than if you played against people of similar skill, unless the opponent is training you.

So being put on a team with all rank 10-20’s vs a team with lots of rank 50’s isn’t going to help you learn much, you just wiped very quickly, 2 rank 50’s working together to beat down opponents is pretty nasty.
    Sometimes we stack Agatha here in Aus so it isn’t a situation that doesn’t happen…