Autobalance and On Team Join Balance - suggestion

• I posted this in another thread, I figure it is worth a suggestion at least:

Basically the pub matches of this game can easily get stacked, which happens often enough to be a problem. A suggestion to help mitigate this and also help address autobalance problems:

The idea is to ignore even number of players in a pub match and instead look at the total rank of all players in a team and the player joining:

The example:

A rank 50 joins a server and there are 10 mason playing and 8 agatha. The 10 masons have a total rank of 200 (rank 25 average) whilst the Agatha side has a total rank of 320 (rank 40 average). The new rank 50 player will only be allowed to join the Mason side, making it 11 mason (rank 250) vs 8 agatha (rank 320) hopefully balancing it out a bit better than the rank 50 adding to the stacked side.

However the game is also meant to be fun for everyone and playing with your friends is fun. Therefor the rank calculation should take into consideration of friends list. If a side has a friend listed person on it, then for the purpose of calculating to tal rank it would be your rank / 2. Then allow a 10-20% leeway on total rank.

This would prevent massive one sided stacks, whilst also allowing friends to play on the same time more often than not.

A level 50 for instance can easily take on 2 or 3 level 20’s at the same time fairly consistently, so a 1 v 3 match isn’t that bad, 3 level 50’s can easily take on 8 or so low level players. This game doesn’t have as big an impact on even player numbers as some other games, so lets stop balancing the game on even numbers, but on rank.

• rank is just a kill count

many rank 50s are awful because they bot farmed

interesting concept but it is fundamentally flawed

• @zombojoe:

rank is just a kill count

many rank 50s are awful because they bot farmed

interesting concept but it is fundamentally flawed

It’s probably better than what we currently have. I’d argue that MOST pub games are effected by stacking, and anything that improves on what we currently have would be great. Even though it’s not a perfect indicator of skill, rank is indicative of ability in this game; a rank 50 is far more likely to be an effective player than a rank 20, so I think it’ a metric that could be used to improve the auto balance. People could game the system with smurf accounts, and there’s always those talented rank 30’s that I occasionally come across, along with the garbage rank 50s, but I think the impact of that would be low enough for the OPs suggestion to result in better balanced teams than what we currently end up with.

• I think the autobalance could switch the most appropriate rank person instead of being random but anything else is too complicated to implement.

• They should just revert the balance mechanism, that you can’t join a team when it’s already full. Then we can balance ourselves again (easier).

• @INerevar:

They should just revert the balance mechanism, that you can’t join a team when it’s already full. Then we can balance ourselves again (easier).

I rarely see a server’s population balance itself. Most people have a favourite side of each map and usually play that regardless. I don’t mind people stacking att so much as at least you get to do all objectives, but it gets really tiresome when a group of good players defend every map and DNF the attackers at the first objective. Carrying a noob team is really hard now because of the stamina system, except for maybe pro archers and maa.

• Can you still be auto balanced on teamkills? If so then they should probably fix that.