How is this games competitive scene?

• Title says it all really. Just curious on how the competitive scene is in this game.

• The chivalry game style does lend itself to competitions, bit it’s not quite as catered for as some games. There is definitely some clan v clan action.

There is a section on the forums for competitive play: http://forums.tornbanner.com/forumdisplay.php/19-Competitive-Play

• kinda dead atm but when it was active it was pretty good

• According to steam its a competitive game lol.

• a lot of people still duel but its not balanced at all

• It had a great, strong competitive scene shortly after release, and there was some even in closed beta. But it pretty much died out after the first big major balance patch because of how many (bad) changes were made to the game. Since then, it never recovered, mostly due to the nature of (necessary) constant changes to the game to make it more playable and better. And even currently, the game is changing too massively too quickly for real competition to work right now (just a few months ago we got combo feint to parry back and no more recovery parry, for example) and they’re already planning on another balance patch.

I’m for these massive changes and balance patches, but only as long as they don’t suck. As much as I loved release Chivalry, there were some things that needed changing. This game still has a bit to go before it’s truly ready for “e-sports” status, but you can certainly play this game competitively in duels and have a great time. Clan vs clan is still around but I think the overall atmosphere and mindset is that it’s more of a joke than a serious competition due to how much the game has and is changing. Archers are certainly a big issue and always have been, and only continue to become a bigger problem as people become better and more reliable with them. Same with MaAs.

• cant say anything about NA but its still pretty good in EU, you just ask and get scrims and the most competitive players are still around

• Mod

@CRUSHED:

cant say anything about NA but its still pretty good in EU, you just ask and get scrims and the most competitive players are still around

I remember you saying after the reduction of the bubble and new camera angles that all the competitive european players had quit and weren’t coming back.

It’ll be interesting to see competitive play once messer and greatsword are nerfed. I welcome balance.

• @Tyoson:

I remember you saying after the reduction of the bubble and new camera angles that all the competitive european players had quit and weren’t coming back.

Not all but a lot of good players did quit.

• If you want to play comp then it’s definitely worth getting into. Scrimming is miles more more fun than random pubstomping, but there’s not any money in it unfortunately. Scrimming will also make you a much better player and you’ll be able to make many more friends outside the clan you join because the scene is very tight (because it’s really small).

Just a note: Dueling is really imbalanced (loadouts hard counter other loadouts) and can only get you so far in skill. You can be the best duelist in the world but still suck ass in scrims. This doesn’t mean don’t duel at all because they can be fun. But just be aware that there’s a lot more to the game than just duels.

• @Flippy:

If you want to play comp then it’s definitely worth getting into. Scrimming is miles more more fun than random pubstomping, but there’s not any money in it unfortunately. Scrimming will also make you a much better player and you’ll be able to make many more friends outside the clan you join because the scene is very tight (because it’s really small). Just a note: Dueling is really imbalanced (loadouts hard counter other loadouts) and can only get you so far in skill. You can be the best duelist in the world but still suck ass in scrims. This doesn’t mean don’t duel at all because they can be fun. But just be aware that there’s a lot more to the game than just duels.

agreed, hate people who think duels are everything while they have a huge skill ceiling already, they are really just the tip of the iceberg, being really good in scrims is a completely different story

• If you want a strong competitive scene, Dota2. Not only does it have the players, but is has AWESOME spectator tools and support. Also $10,000,000 prize pools (more that the prize pools of Major Golf Tournies) helps.

• @Toll:

If you want a strong competitive scene, Dota2. Not only does it have the players, but is has AWESOME spectator tools and support. Also $10,000,000 prize pools (more that the prize pools of Major Golf Tournies) helps.

yeah but its a shitty moba

• @Flippy:

Just a note: Dueling is really imbalanced (loadouts hard counter other loadouts) and can only get you so far in skill. You can be the best duelist in the world but still suck ass in scrims.

As a guy who mainly duels, I will second this notion. I’ve been able to go toe-to-toe with 50+ players since I was level 22 or so. But actual organized play? Completely different story. You can’t learn how to positioning yourself and parry in a 1v2 scenario in duels. You also pick up some duel habits that are really bad for teamplay like overheading -> hitting the ground thus leaving you open, or not getting ready to CFTP even if you hit someone.

NA, you really have to get to know the competitive community. A lot of clans don’t even scrim… PUGs are kind of rare from what I see. I didn’t play Chivalry during its 2012-2013 glory days, and I really feel like I missed out. It’s very rare that I get good duels with good ping against people who don’t cry about feints, using only LMB in duels (lol the easiest attack to block), or using god damn Warhammer of all weapons.

• @a:

or using god damn Warhammer of all weapons.

I hate it when people go full tryhard in duels smh

• @swagfox:

I hate it when people go full tryhard in duels smh

but HWS vs HWS is only skill based duel setup

• Coming from someone who’s been a casual and a member of comp play, I’d recommend just playing the game for fun. I’m actually amazed people can even take the game semi seriously in scrims and such, but I guess if everyone knows one another and its all in good fun it really doesn’t matter.

The game will let you down big time if you want to take it as seriously as an established e-sport title. The possibility is definitely there, and the game really does draw you in by its unique premise and conceptual combat, especially when compared to your average run of the mill shooters, but its a ruse, a lie at the end of the tunnel.

The game is full of holes and errors and once you begin to understand how the game was coded and operates, it’s not hard to lose faith in it. There’s always another bug or error right around the corner and the developers are very incompetent when it comes to fixing issues and keeping them fixed without introducing new problems.

I’ve played for 1300+ hours and made over a hundred videos and my takeaway attitude towards the game is that it’s just a fun one to troll around in every once in a while, which should tell you a lot.

• there is no actual bug in the game that makes scrim outcomes random, duels can be random when you have high ping, but in 97% cases the better players win

i have hosted several tourneys and there wasnt a single match played where there was any bugs or inconsistencies actually affecting the game performance apart from the really rare ghostswing, but then again you dont die in one hit

• @CRUSHED:

there is no actual bug in the game that makes scrim outcomes random, duels can be random when you have high ping, but in 97% cases the better players win

i have hosted several tourneys and there wasnt a single match played where there was any bugs or inconsistencies actually affecting the game performance apart from the really rare ghostswing, but then again you dont die in one hit

maul desyncs are real
    @CRUSHED:

yeah but its a shitty moba

its not even fun to watch, generally in comp games its almost impossible to tell whats going on in fights with so many spells with giant AOE particle effects being casted

• Mod

The weapons used in scrims are the bugs. Don’t you get it. Anyone who mains messer, greatsword and brandistocks are part of the problem. They’re broken buggy pieces of shit. Also maul one hits. So when you get overheaded as a knight by a desynced maul, that’s a bug.