Dear Torn Banner, no one is playing the custom maps

• Honestly, it’s impossible to fully test all the maps like this and uncover possible balance & optimization issues. Please put your official testing servers at the top of the scoreboard AT ALL TIMES, even if filters do not match them.

Also, NO REGULAR PLAYER knows what the hell “UGC” stands for. Just “Mods” would be miles better.

• Bump, I support this.

• The two reasons Ive seen is because….

1. The official test servers were (may even be still) stuck on Belmez where the map wouldn’t load, making everyone unable to join.

2. Downloading 123MB every map is tiring. This needs to be fixed already.

• Yeah, I wish custom map servers were more populated so that I could continue collecting critique. But alas, it seems that if you want them filled, you have to spam your friends list for everyone to join.

• I could deal with near-empty servers.

It’s just that Chivalry isn’t nowhere near optimized for custom content. Sometimes your loading screen shows the download progress inbetween maps, but usually it doesn’t and you’re left guessing at it’s progress.

Every custom map takes way longer than a vanilla map to load. Whether it is because it’s constantly re-downloading, re-extracting or whatever it may be doing I don’t know, but it’s definitely unnecessarily long.

• I have appallingly bad countryside internet connectivity, so for me downloading each new map is a massive pain. a community map pack where people could subscribe/download the custom maps at once might be useful

• @MonkeyFiend:

I have appallingly bad countryside internet connectivity, so for me downloading each new map is a massive pain. a community map pack where people could subscribe/download the custom maps at once might be useful

^This. 3 Mb/s really sucks.

• Too many issues with steam workshop being a piece of junk and custom map downloading being buggy as dicks. At least customs get played fairly frequently in Australistan, bl rest of the world though.

• Yeah Yarun’s Custom Map server runs every now and then. When he runs it he spams his friends list to get everyone to join and we fill it up quite quickly. 32 player pub matches with mostly high rank, fun players. Good times. I vote Yarnu gets a Dev Hat for his commitment to the community!

• My downloads can range anywhere from 60kb/s to 600kb/s when downloading the 150mb+ files, which sucks. My friends who wanted to support my map wanted to download and play it, so they downloaded Yarnu’s collection, jumped on his server after updating at the splash screen and still presented with these large downloads that take all round to download…so by time it’s done, the match is over anyway -_-
    Now my friends have given up until it is fixed.

• People gotta make their maps smaller. There’s barely any difference between a 15MB map and a 150MB map.

There is a community map pack for an Australian custom map server. Still isn’t 100% at making sure you don’t have to download anything. Though next patch does reduce the long load times apparently.

• @lemonater47:

People gotta make their maps smaller.

+++

If all mappers would remove their LTS FFA TDM DUEL KOTH CTF versions most of the files would get smaller.

• @KingJoff:

+++

If all mappers would remove their LTS FFA TDM DUEL KOTH CTF versions most of the files would get smaller.

thats easily reduceable by using streaming maps

• Add them back to votechange on official servers and keep every official updated once a week with all mod changes (Just the working contest submitted ones). Changing an official that’s populated into a custom map was by far the best way to get proper testing done. Add a warning somewhere explaining that if you play this game, you may have to expect additional downloads for custom content for the pay by bandwidth users.

• @SOC:

Add them back to votechange on official servers and keep every official updated once a week with all mod changes (Just the working contest submitted ones). Changing an official that’s populated into a custom map was by far the best way to get proper testing done. Add a warning somewhere explaining that if you play this game, you may have to expect additional downloads for custom content for the pay by bandwidth users.

Do this please. So much more testing would get done, and it would breathe new life into the official servers.

• An additional idea that would be nice: If a server has custom maps in its rotation, it could ask you upon joining if you wish to download them all right now. This way you wouldn’t have to wait several minutes between rounds for the map to load.

• So TB posts in a thread about vanguard crossbow charges, but not threads talking about contest maps.

TB’s got their priorities straight amirite?

• @Flippy:

So TB posts in a thread about vanguard crossbow charges, but not threads talking about contest maps.

TB’s got their priorities straight amirite?

Doesn’t really work like that. An employee of TB can comment on threads when it strikes their fancy.

Andrew’s post has no relevance to TB’s priorities.

• @Userper:

Doesn’t really work like that. An employee of TB can comment on threads when it strikes their fancy.

Andrew’s post has no relevance to TB’s priorities.

Well, custom maps don’t seem to strike the fancy of anyone at TB then.

• They are probably testing them internally, but obviously it will take longer to announce the winners then on the first round, im guessing 2 more weeks