Bringing back VOIP

• Firstly, i already know there’s threads like this but they died a long time ago

I’ve been playing Chiv for a long time now, I bought it when it was in beta, played it, stopped, and started again. I know there used to be voice chat and one can only assume why it’s no longer here. I’d like to make some points to hopefully persuade to bring it back, mainly because i find that it’s a pretty grim game to be hacking and slashing all day without hearing the voice of someone who is not in your skype/vent/mumble/w/e, especially when games with the same problem still manage to pull off effective VOIP

The games i would like to point to is Garry’s Mod, DayZ and Gears of War . Garry’s mod is one of my favourite games, with me pooling over 2.5k hours into it i can give you a pretty balanced perspective on the voice chat of this game. If you have no idea what it’s like then check this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiw_4EJ53UQ . While i dont know who these guys are or what this series is, you can briefly watch the video to see how fun_, yet immersive,_ localized voip is. Few games match the levels of fun i have had playing Garry’s Mod TTT (trouble in terrorist town) and RP servers, and i can honestly say i would have not played gmod for as long as i did, if it wasn’t for the VOIP.

I mentioned DayZ is because anyone familiar with the game will know how much the local voice chat affects the game positively. Without going into too much detail, its good for the same reasons as gmod; its immersive, but it can also be fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTQhNQw9wo

Now, the reason why i said gears of war, is because anyone who bought GoW1 with xbox live near release will still be still be reminiscing about it when they are living their final days in a care home. Gears of War is so much more brutal and violent than Chivalry, but the real reason is because of the good old xbox live smack talk/rage that defined the game. There was nothing more exhilerating than bouncing from corner to corner with gnasher shotguns, while spitting vulgar insults and accusing each other of being different ethnicities. Xbox live microphones were shit as well, and not everyone had one, yet on PC everyone has a crystal clear microphone or you genuinely will become a victim of bullying for having a shit mic.

next topic - **community

**Yes, we know people abuse voice chat, we know people will abuse voice chat, and we know people are always going to be abusing voice chat. It will continue past the days when i will be teaching MY kids how to smack talk, and the crude shit i used to say over the internet. Regardless, games such as Garry’s Mod and DayZ dont suffer from VOIP enough to remove it from the game, so i don’t see why Chivalry should still be voicechat-less

My point is that the community deals with miscreants. If someone is spamming a 24 man+ server he will be kicked, he can also be muted and he will probably just get TK’d. On Garry’s Mod when someone spams he either gets kicked by an admin, muted by the whole server, or if the server has decent administrative plugins then he will be votekicked. If there’s no way to deal with him, (regarding TTT), he will be killed at the start of every round in mob-pitchfork fashion.

To further elaborate, Chivalry has no way NEAR the level of trolls and kids that Garry’s Mod has. In games i’m always seeing chivalric jargon being tossed about, “you have no honor” and “feinting is for cowards”. The only time i see influx of bad behaviour (in terms of votekicks, team damage and chat hostility) is when there is a huge steam sale, and a sale has just recently gone meaning the playerbase has solidified again. I am no voicechat/multiplayer analysis, i can only give my spin on things but i have alot of experiance playing games with different communities. And i can honestly say Chivalry has an extremely mature and very close-knit community. I always end up jumping in games with the same people i played with yesterday, so it’s not like there’s going to be a server hopping microphone troll pandemic.

**Conclusion
    **So, just to round off this post i’d like to make some final points. Please;

• no server-wide voicechat (unless its admin-only or something). Im basically saying Chivalry should only have localized voice chat because it’s the only thing that will really work, imho
    • client-side microphone settings, auto adjust volume etc. so no one has a disgustingly quiet or loud mic
    • server-side microphone controls, individual servers can choose to limit talking length for however long or you have a limited amount of seconds to speak which regenerates after a time
    • NO OPEN MICROPHONES
    • muffling your voice if you have a helmet on, as if you have a helmet on! Rainbow Six did a good job of making everyone sound like badass commandos even if you a squeaky 8 year old boy
    • some kind of downside to pressing the microphone button, such as you cannot block or something. This does many things, but mainly just COMPLETELY cripples music-players (my only fear for re-enabling mics)

My main inspiration for making this post is literally so i can just say fuck off to my enemies with each click of LMB. I want an archer to HEAR the hate in my voice and spittle as i curse and hack off his limbs from behind. I’d like to hear some input from other people but hopefully this post is lengthy enough to spark the interest of some of the devs :>

• I know for a fact, if they ever bring this back, I will have this turned off.

Hearing some teenager screaming crap, and others playing Justin Bieber songs is not my idea of immersion.

• Of course it is an option, a simple “Voice chat?” tick box is enough for people who prefer isolation and would rather not engage in human contact. I attempted to suggest a solution for the music players which i outlined in my final bullet points but you havent seemed to have read it.

I can only imagine the feeling of being beaten and ​insulted by a teenager on the other team

• Everyone is toxic and annoying enough already.

• VOIP was just an excuse for people to spam. It also worked very poorly. Lots of feedback and static. This game doesn’t need it. Most people would just have it turned off anyway.

• This post is deleted!

• I see, i didn’t realize how much the community disliked VOIP when it was about. If i were to rephrase some points in my post into a question then; do you not think localized, less intrusive VIOP + some of the potential suggestions i offered, such as server controls (which i also could default to strict rules, i guess), may reintroduce voice chat into chivalry in a less toxic and positive way?

I’m not trying to be overly insistive or anything, but i am genuinely curious to know if VOIP really makes chivalry worse - if its not implemented right.

• @daniel10x:

I see, i didn’t realize how much the community disliked VOIP when it was about. If i were to rephrase some points in my post into a question then; do you not think localized, less intrusive VIOP + some of the potential suggestions i offered, such as server controls (which i also could default to strict rules, i guess), may reintroduce voice chat into chivalry in a less toxic and positive way?

I’m not trying to be overly insistive or anything, but i am genuinely curious to know if VOIP really makes chivalry worse - if its not implemented right.

VOIP in this game isn’t necessary for strategies on public level, which means that it would not be used for anything useful and thus people would only abuse it to spam and throw insults with poor-quality microphones.

• I completely understand what you are saying in this post, but this statement

VOIP in this game isn’t necessary for strategies on public leve

i only would give a few points for otherwise.

Do you not believe its possible for the playerbase for Chivalry to have changed since the removal of VOIP?.. After all, it’s the game has been out for about 2 years now (i think?). I’m not sure when VOIP was removed, but i know for a fact that i would communicate with my team using VOIP on pubs because i am a pub player! I know for a fact i’m not good enough competitively, but i honestly think that it could help the game grow somewhat, on a public level, if i had a more active open channel to talk to my teammates in.

• I would like VOIP in this game.

• If it was limited to like 3 seconds localized, then i can just imagine myself saying “come kill this guy” when charging out of spawn, or reminding people “stab not lmb!” when we’re ganging up on mason’s lvl 54 pubstomper in full cosmetics. I think it would add depth to the game, and if the vast public majority isnt in opposition, then woudnt a simple no voice tickbox suffice?

After all, Chiv does have beta servers

• i would like voip simply to spam soundboard stuff in pubs

• I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel. I’ve got balls of steeeel.

Definitely pretty open to spamming, but I find in-built voip to be pretty nice in most games. Nobody on a pub is gonna join a ts/mumble server.

• OP, im totally with u. VOIP is decades old technology (remember HL1 counter strike?) and should not behard on the tech side. on the community side, yes theres always gonna be dumbass, but theres vote kick, among other things, to address said dumbasses.

i would LOVE voip on pub servers for tactics. imagine this: youre trying to kill the king in the last obj in stones village but, as usual, the masons are running in piecemeal, a few at a time, trying to kill the king while agatha forces are grouped ready and waiting. what u need to do is mass together then rush as a tteam right? with VOIP, one can say “come on lets mass here, wait for everyone” [everyone gets togather] “ok lets GOOOOO!!!” and the team rushes together, spamming the war face/war cry etc. epic right? without VOIP, organizing a basic tactic like that is nearly impossible.

• This is exactly why i feel so strongly about reintroducing VOIP, currently you can have amazing moments when you go 5v1 and come out without a scratch, but on a team-level the possibilities are endless with heroic charges and rescues, etc.

When i used to play Garry’s Mod i exclusively used my mic, no typing. I’m not saying Chiv has to have an open mic channel for constant talking; but i honestly find myself making a lot more friends in games where there are microphones involved. 4k hours of dota and 2.5k of garrysmod meant transitioning through different communities and groups of people, but 430 hours of chiv and i only have one friend :(. All my skills were developed myself from watching level 50s wipe the floor in pubs, but im still miles away from being actually decent because nobody wants to talk :(, apart from occasionally on duel servers.

• Voip would work really well with ranked matchmaking. That way voip is taken more seriously. I’d like to have it anyhow at least with an option to mute any spammers.

• I never used the VOIP feature while they still had it. If they brought it back, I still wouldn’t.

• still like the idea of positional VOIP where you could hear either teammates nearby or everyone nearby depending on setup. But it would have to have good checks and balances to stop trolls - clear identification of who’s broadcasting and working votemute/adminmute ability (and of course the ability to opt out of it)

• The sad thing about these threads is that they always die :(

• Mod

Yes please. It upsets me that it was removed.