Knight Resistance To Arrows

• So there is plenty of talk about how archer is OP and knight needs a buff so why not kill two birds with one stone. Give knights a 50% resistance to arrows and call it a day, after all historically arrows were pretty ineffective against plate armor. It seems like it would balance out team play quite nicely. Discuss

• 15% damage reduction from hits to the legs
    30% damage reduction from hits to the chest
    0% damage reduction (current HS damage) from hits to the head

A suitable nerf to Archer V Knight, while also rewarding the archer that goes for the headshot.

• This is a good idea but I think 50% is too much. Maybe 40% or 35%.

• I think they should re-introduce the flying vanguards, that was a real archer nerf, and even a Maa nerf.

• @Rob_Owner:

I think they should re-introduce the flying vanguards, that was a real archer nerf, and even a Maa nerf.

But it was also a nerf to non-dyslexic fighters, cause you’d have to be mindfucked to adjust to it.

• Dyslexia = mindfucked? When are you from, the 19th century?

• And……Back on topic. So we think 30% or 35% would be a more appropriate number?

I plan on making a poll for this I’m just looking to hear some of your ideas on how you think this could be best implemented.

• @gndo:

Dyslexia = mindfucked? When are you from, the 19th century?

Sometimes I wish. Then I remember internet and hamburgers.

I agree on 0% extra resistance on headshots, 20% on arms and legs, 40% on torso. These figures must also apply to thrown weapons logically speaking, so thrown axes/Knifes become ineffective against knights.

• @DokB:

15% damage reduction from hits to the legs
    30% damage reduction from hits to the chest
    0% damage reduction (current HS damage) from hits to the head

A suitable nerf to Archer V Knight, while also rewarding the archer that goes for the headshot.

I say keep body damage as is and reduce leg damage even further to 25% to buff shields indirectly and encourage the use of them. So it takes 4 times as many projectiles to kill a knight in the legs.

• a long time ago there was an archer balance council and we agreed that every class needed to have unique resistances to projectiles

right now it uses the same damage type system as melee weapons

so bodkins do bluntpierce and broadheads do cutting, sling does blunt, everything else is pierce damage

of course this is a nightmare to balance because if you change those resistances on a class you make them take different damages from melee weapons

if you make a knight more susceptible to blunt in order to buff slings, you’ll start seeing flanged maces 2 shotting knights without getting a headshot, etc

you increase pierce resistance on vanguards to buff them vs arrows and then suddenly the SoW takes 3 torso stabs to kill a vanguard making it shit compared to longsword, you get what i mean

on another note: messing with the damage values is skirting around the problem

getting shot gets you killed but it is not what kills you usually

when you are in a melee fight and you get shot, you can become 1 hittable and people will hit trade you to kill you

other times getting shot will flinch you out of an attack or a parry and and will fuck up your day

the damage isnt whats killing you, its the projectile flinch

if that gets removed most of the annoyances with projectiles will go away

that being said only good archers are OP, because bad ones are always at the bottom of the scoreboard, now this really doesnt make it any different than melee players, because good ones are OP and bad ones are the bottom as well :)

• Changing damage values isn’t the only problem. They need fundamental changes to fit in with the rest of the game better.

• @zombojoe:

a long time ago there was an archer balance council and we agreed that every class needed to have unique resistances to projectiles

right now it uses the same damage type system as melee weapons

so bodkins do bluntpierce and broadheads do cutting, sling does blunt, everything else is pierce damage

of course this is a nightmare to balance because if you change those resistances on a class you make them take different damages from melee weapons

if you make a knight more susceptible to blunt in order to buff slings, you’ll start seeing flanged maces 2 shotting knights without getting a headshot, etc

you increase pierce resistance on vanguards to buff them vs arrows and then suddenly the SoW takes 3 torso stabs to kill a vanguard making it shit compared to longsword, you get what i mean

Perhaps this isn’t possible with how the game works but I assumed they could just code in that any projectile that hits a knight is resisted by say 30% without having to change specific damage resistances like pierce, blunt, and cutting.

• its actually not that difficult to add

• @zombojoe:

its actually not that difficult to add

Story of Chivalry right there.

Zombojoe: Fix flinch in release, it’s actually not that hard.
    TBS: Yeah but… Nah. We’ve got all our manpower doing bench-presses and recreating artwork with numbers and hiding it in the code. They’re also training for Master Chef cause fuck it.

• Projectile flinch is fine its flinch in release which isn’t.

• My Idea to reduce all damage by this Archer and other class projectiles solved this.
    It is the only one that is code easy ie no changes and would work. Its almost seems
    that some of you don’t think its safe to let TB near whats left of the game code
    that actually works still imo.

• It would be very easy to apply a 30-50% damage reduction to knights only.

A simple if in the damage calculation for projectiles would be all that is needed. Super fucking easy, easier than putting a banner on a building for sure.

• Would be easier to apply 66% damage reduction for everyone.
    Like foolproof

• Mod

Make it so archers don’t flinch knights. Let knights actually be the tank they’re supposed to be. They’re wearing heavy ass armour, they’re slow as fuck, one flimsy arrow shouldn’t cancel their swing…

• @Tyoson:

Make it so archers don’t flinch knights. Let knights actually be the tank they’re supposed to be. They’re wearing heavy ass armour, they’re slow as fuck, one flimsy arrow shouldn’t cancel their swing…

This is a realism argument so no.

Plus if this went through weapons like Sling and Shortbow would be completely useless.