Roman Colosseum

• @Otreum:

Thanks for the feedback.

I won’t be editing the cage too much further, I’ll leave that up to you guys to do, since there’s 171 cage matinee’s to edit, it’s just extremely tedious and I have spent far too long away from my main focus right now, which is my own game dev work.

If worse comes to worst, the cage trap could simply just be cut from the randomization by disabling some links because I don’t have the time to keep working on it, I only made it because I wanted to add it in a while ago.

I do agree on the changes however, I think that if the cages vibrated even for at least another 2-3sec longer, it would be “easier” and less frustrating.

The randomization is anywhere from 3-18 seconds. This could be changed, but that’s another 171 things to change, another very tedious task that would take a while. But I agree. Maybe 6-18 seconds so they fire less frequently.
    With actual coding, the whole process would be a LOT easier, but it’s all done in Kismet.

I think that with those changes, it would be easier to get to enemies.
    As I said previously though, the cage is best played on Capture the Flag, and Deathmatch. It is not so much designed for team based modes as, who in their right mind would willingly run into that mess :P
    Capture the flag gives players a reason to effectively try and run the gauntlet. The only main issue I can see with Capture the flag is that players defending their flag might just bunch up in the flag area and send off one flag runner, so balancing could be an issue.
    It would probably be best in DM/FFA in that case.

As for forest, spawns now fixed up, players shouldn’t spawn in the ground now :)

The rocks in the forest are using per poly collision on a lower poly collision mesh. They are not the same default rocks provided with chivalry, but are modified ones that I used in On The Edge, as the default ones had a collision mesh resulting in players running in mid-air, or being blocked by a large invisible collision mesh.
    I think they could probably just be re-orientated for smoother running across the rocks.

Things I have changed since the test are:
    CAGE:

• Traps no longer wait another 3-18 seconds to animate again (some traps were staying locked in their position for far too long), instead, they instantly continue from their current animation position. There is a bit of an issue where any trap that has not, or is not being animated will instantly trigger, which results in all the “safe” crushers to trigger all at once. I’m sure if I thought about a way to do it better, I could, but as I said, no time.
    • Trap pause time will either pause for 3, 8 or 12 seconds….rather than just pausing for 15 seconds.

FOREST and OASIS:

• Deathmatch spawns should no longer spawn underneath the terrain.

I would focus on improving the existing traps in that case. We will be doing a minimal bug/art pass on these maps, but are largely keeping them in the spirit of what the creator has made.

• So I actually managed to play the latest version online, albeit on a server where I had 400 ping, and there are a few things I need to iron out.
    Mainly though, it’s just the spawn placement for FFA, where players are still oddly spawning right next to spinning hammers, despite me moving players spawns away from the hammers.

The other is with the cage trap. When I have enough mental energy to go through it, i’ll make changes to the trap timings etc and try and make it much easier to run around.
    Most people playing, who had played about 2-3 times on the trap, had worked out that you can’t just run in there, sprinting, expecting to survive. They worked out that they have to move slowly, and watch their step. Some enjoyed the trap as a result of learning how to survive it, while others were a bit ragey about how difficult it was.
    The trap is mainly designed for CTF, so we gave CTF a spin with the cage trap, and it was a lot better, players had a reason to cross the death area. Most made it one way, but did not make it back so easily, probably due to panic.
    So when I have the time and energy, I will slowly work through the trap timings, animations etc, to try and make it a bit easier to play.
    However I do need suggestions and feedback on how to improve the trap. Such as what timings do people want to see, because I will probably only make the changes one more time and that’s it, as there is a LOT of work.

Right now, each individual crusher is triggered anywhere from 3-18 seconds. They will shake for 2 seconds before slamming into the ceiling, and will remain up for 5 seconds.
    The traps pause after 30seconds, and will re-trigger in either 3, 8 or 12 seconds.

I am considering changing it so traps trigger anywhere from 6-18 seconds, and have a 4 second shaking time, and remain in upwards position for either 3 or 5 seconds.
    The pause time I think is fine, 30seconds. And the re-trigger time I think is also fine.
    However there is a big issue which I’m not sure how to work around where once the trap is re-triggered. Any trap that wasn’t already triggered or animated, will be triggered. Which normally means that players who are trapped on once safe tiles, will have to find a half lowered crusher and jump onto it if possible, otherwise they will be squished.

I would like to also include some randomization to the oasis map, such as if the oasis map loads, then randomly select objects to load into oasis, such as some ruins.
    I would also like to create some new obstacles. One in particular is basically a big giant pool with spikes at the bottom of it. It would have 2 large open pipes for players to run through to get to the other side which have holes in them. Those pipes will constantly rotate too.
    The other ways across are from rising and lowering platforms in the water outside of the pipes that players can jump across, like stones in a pond.

I most likely won’t do that prop, I have other prop and trap ideas in mind that I could create…but it is a matter of how much free time do I really have? Not much :(

• I really want to play this on LTS server.

• @xXx_NicCage_xXx:

I really want to play this on LTS server.

U.C.C.C is hosting this in FFA, TD and KOTH version. The LTS version was buggy for everybody for some reason. Had to re-select class each round, so I removed it because PUB’s are usually stupid.

The map has recived nothing but praise though from I’d say about 96% of the people who played it, great fun!

My only issue with it, and this is just me personally, is that the cage round seem to be pretty much hide in a corner or die. Would like it to not be such! an enormouse amount of death trap. Maybe raise the cages a little slower or something I dunno.

Overall 9/10 map! Will continue to host! hope it gets selected for an official map, since there practicly ain’t none other than TO maps.

• @Hitom:

U.C.C.C is hosting this in FFA, TD and KOTH version. The LTS version was buggy for everybody for some reason. Had to re-select class each round, so I removed it because PUB’s are usually stupid.

The map has recived nothing but praise though from I’d say about 96% of the people who played it, great fun!

My only issue with it, and this is just me personally, is that the cage round seem to be pretty much hide in a corner or die. Would like it to not be such! an enormouse amount of death trap. Maybe raise the cages a little slower or something I dunno.

Overall 9/10 map! Will continue to host! hope it gets selected for an official map, since there practicly ain’t none other than TO maps.

This is uplifting to read :) Thank you for the compliments on the map, and the feedback.
    I agree about the cage now that I have played it online. While hilarious, and while players laughed at how ridiculously difficult it was, I found that players slowly adapted and learned how to maneuver the trap after a few goes. Players learned to take their time, instead of rushing in willy nilly, and as a result, they survived much longer.
    However it is still really difficult, and was not originally intended to be THAT difficult, but more something that players have to be mindful of.
    Hopefully when I have some time, I can get some work done on the timings etc, but still would like to know what the public think in terms of suggestions for timings.

• UPDATE:

Removed The Cage temporarily so players don’t have to suffer from it’s extreme brutality :P

• PROBLEMS WITH OFFICIAL COLOSSEUM RELEASE:

NOTE: I will post fixes tomorrow, and they are urgent, because the map is pretty much completely wrecked because of some things that really should never have been touched in the first place.

1. Spawn Ramp disappears when doors open. For some stupid unknown reason, the connection with the Open Doors event was also made to the script to remove the ramps……
    I can understand someone accidentally removing a connection, but to put the connection there? I am baffled.

2. The central axe in the tower is now bugged completely. I don’t care so much that it’s now one axe rather than a double ended axe, it’s still deadly, but even when the axe is stationary now, it kills players, it didn’t do that before, it’s like this trap took a step back in it’s development.

3. That same central axe remains invisible and still very deadly even after a randomization occurs. That means players can still hear the axe spinning, but can’t see it, but can be hit by it. It’s most noticeable when transitioning from the tower trap to the pendulum trap (with platforms) and the forest map on the edges of the creek in the middle.

4. I have heard from players that the water in the boat level no longer does any damage, meaning players can fall into the water and fight underwater…it worked before, now it doesn’t…

5. There are spring traps that don’t disappear when the central platform spawns in. I thought I fixed this in the workshop version, but it could have been a bug I overlooked. It is a simple fix which I’ll show in my next post tomorrow with screenshots.

6. In team deathmatch, the gates didn’t open, thus keeping players trapped, nobody could do anything. Wasn’t a problem before, not sure why it is now, i’ll check it out tomorrow.

They are all I can think of at the moment, but keep your eyes peeled for my post tomorrow with fixes.

The major one to fix though is the spawn area’s, that is really messing things up for everyone.

• **FIXES FOR PROBLEMS:

**These took me a few hours to find where the problems were and test them, but it should only take 5 mins or less to fix. :)

1. SPAWN RAMP FIX: (Should also fix the Team Deathmatch problem)
    This one is super simple, super easy, this connection needs to be broken:

2. TOWER AXE BUG:
    The matinee outputs for completed is connected incorrectly. It should be connected to “in” input on the gate. As seen in the 2nd image.
    This is the current script.

This is how it was previously (working)

3. AXE BUG:
    In the matinee for the axe spin, there is a TURN ON, TURN OFF event during the matinee.
    The output for turning the COLLISION ON is going to the Collision node which turns collision OFF, the output for TURN OFF is connecting to the Collision node which turns collision ON. So while swinging, the axe doesn’t hurt anybody, but when it’s stationary, it kills.
    Obviously it should be the other way around.
    The blue and red connections are what it should be.

OASIS ROCKS:
    Here is just one of the rocks that need to be moved so trees aren’t inside. There are about 3 rocks that need moving…or the trees need moving.

OASIS TREES IN CTF:
    In CTF mode, on OASIS, there are a cluster of trees blocking the capture platform ramp.

SPRING TRAP FIX:
    I have a feeling this was my doing, it’s not a major problem, but this should fix it. Add this.

ENABLE CAGE TRAP CONSOLE COMMAND:
    Enabling this won’t put the nightmare cage into the random spawn cycle, but it will allow administrators the ability to load the cage, I disabled it, but I shouldn’t have disabled the command, I should have only disabled the random cycle.
    Here is where to enable it.

BOAT MAP BUG FIXES:

1. This is to fix up the water damage disappearing if the water theme spawns more than once in a match.
    For some reason when the water volume was turned OFF, it was seemingly removing the entire thing from the level, or permanently turning it off. Took me hours today to work out why it was doing this.
    The picture should explain what to do pretty simply.

2. Players are spawning under water. There are 3 spawn points that I think when you guys did a navigation build, the spawns fell to the arena floor since they snap to the ground during/after navigation mesh rebuild.

You can see in the image the 3 spawn points that are under water.

The last thing with the water theme is that when players are underwater, there is a post process volume that previously looked like you were underwater. Now it doesn’t. Can you please change this back so when players fall in water it actually looks like they are underwater.

Also, there is no water splash when players fall into water, can you please put that splash back in?

• What a horrid map this is tbh. Having come across it in the last few days. I suggest it should be removed from the ffa
    rotation on official 24slots. It gets my thumbs down

• @loin:

What a horrid map this is tbh. Having come across it in the last few days. I suggest it should be removed from the ffa
    rotation on official 24slots. It gets my thumbs down

Fair enough. But so far, every server I have played on, people are loving it. It’s also the 3rd most popular map of all time, thanks to 22,000 people who think the map is good.
    Bare in mind, there were changes made to the official version of the map, compared to the workshop version, which unfortunately reflect terribly on the map. Most issues are fixed up again thanks to some quick work from Torn Banner, and help from myself.

I have noticed some pretty major issues have popped up during some gameplay sessions which weren’t there previously, and I have forwarded the issues onto Torn Banner with some advice and help from myself on how to fix those issues, so hopefully those issues are resolved.

The map was not intended for any specific audience originally, but it was something I wanted to create because I wanted to create it, and it just turned out to be incredibly popular. But it is certainly not for everyone.

Perhaps if you add why you don’t like the map, Torn Banner can make improvements to it. Thanks for the criticism.

• I am not sure of the maps name, does it keep saying in red map randomising?

• @loin:

I am not sure of the maps name, does it keep saying in red map randomising?

Every 5 minutes the map randomizes. There are 4 themes; Plain (arena with traps), Oasis, Forest, Water/Boats.
    And on the standard plain theme, there are a variety of traps/props that may or may not spawn in.

I wanted to do a randomized TO mode, but I sunk a crap-load of hours into the map for all of the other game modes, and even then, I didn’t realize all of the traps I wanted to create. The TO mode would have been a massive amount of work to make interesting and fun, and I honestly needed to get to work on my own game project, then was contacted by Torn Banner, so readied the map for them to work on and prepare for the map pack.

I’d love to see the TO mode, or some more traps, but it’s a fair bit of work, and to be honest, my skills with kismet were pretty rough. I just made do with what little I did know.

• Wow the map looks awesome!