Devil's Canyon i7 4790k

• Are any of you like me considering Building a rig with the Devil’s Canyon i7 ?
    4ghz out of the box , lower power and I thought a fairly good price £230.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6447/intel-core-i7-4790k-devil-s-canyon-cpu-review/index6.html
    :indecisiveness:

• No not really. Utterly useless just for gaming when you can spend less money and still max out games provided the rest of your system is up to par.

• This post is deleted!

• @lemonater47:

No not really. Utterly useless just for gaming when you can spend less money and still max out games provided the rest of your system is up to par.

I am building one anyway tbh as its my hobby. Hard Eight but somebody has to make those decisions aye.

• My OC’d 2600k is still chugging along. Might be tempted to upgrade when Broadwell releases.

• @dudeface:

My OC’d 2600k is still chugging along. Might be tempted to upgrade when Broadwell releases.

I have an O’Ced 2500k, and still can’t justify upgrading it, nothing that much better is out yet, CPU tech seems to be pretty stagnant right now, no major leaps forward.

• I do regret missing out the sandy bridge stuff tbh. As I am still on 775 socket also toying with modded zeons
    running on 775 boards. Very good and low power with 12mb cache.
    Is that Broadwell going on the DDR4 and x99 chipset?

• Broadwell will be pin-compatible with Haswell, so it’ll drop into the current LGA1150 motherboards / chipsets, I assume. It’ll kick off Intel’s transition to a 14nm transistor, and while mostly similar to Haswell, includes some different power regulation stuff.

The next major update will be Skylake (some time second half of 2015 I guess?), which will probably use a different socket / new chipsets, and include PCIe 4.0, DDR4, and SATA Express.

A bit long to wait for Skylake, in my case. But if Broadwell is nice and lower power (and overclockable) that might be a nice upgrade.

• As I don’t have another hobby that cuts the Mustard this will be built soon. The stuff is here already
    one just needs to get the board/cpu and ram. My gold 1350 with various gtx cards and ssd’s feel
    lonely without a swim in the new pc lands tbh. I have cut back also with just 4 rigs now!

• @loin:

As I don’t have another hobby that cuts the Mustard this will be built soon. The stuff is here already
    one just needs to get the board/cpu and ram. My gold 1350 with various gtx cards and ssd’s feel
    lonely without a swim in the new pc lands tbh. I have cut back also with just 4 rigs now!

You have an expensive hobby.

• Well I don’t think so really. lets say a person and his circle of colleagues head out on the town.
    In GB your looking at the best part of £75 each without cab rides and other goodies.
    Now is the best time to build computers esp on ebay parts are so easy to get in auctions.
    Even a trip to the cinema is £12 for a seat nowdays. A pc will save you money over a year.
    It can do games, watch movies online and a good desktop/tower beats those stupid android
    tablets and phones.

• i agree, pc gaming is actually really cost effective, its just a big upfront price

• @loin:

Well I don’t think so really. lets say a person and his circle of colleagues head out on the town.
    In GB your looking at the best part of £75 each without cab rides and other goodies.
    Now is the best time to build computers esp on ebay parts are so easy to get in auctions.
    Even a trip to the cinema is £12 for a seat nowdays. A pc will save you money over a year.
    It can do games, watch movies online and a good desktop/tower beats those stupid android
    tablets and phones.

Depends where you live, a night out where I am is generally more like £30-50 tops, and I can get a cinema seat for £6. I’m guessing you live in the south.

• We don’t believe in a half night out tbh. It has to be top class and quality. I wouldn’t waste £6 on a lowly pleb seat
    in some dirty cinema. Plush seats like my snooker club, drinks delivered to you by a hot tottie.
    Penny arcades might suit you but a real gentlemen does it all in style tbh. Build that Devils Canyon this month yall.

• But you have many many rigs. PC gaming is cost effective yes. Building lots of machines is a very expensive hobby. That’s what you say you are doing building multiple rigs.

Though I do have several macs. I keep inheriting them I’m not paying a cent. My dad is an apple nerd. He keeps giving me his “old” stuff. Ain’t even that old half the time.

• Usually I sell what is not needed back on the bay at profit. IT bits and bobs are snapped up fast if you know
    what your doing tbh. Those macs sell like hot cakes you know what to do now. Devils Canyon does sound
    good tho. Its a worthy build atm.

• @loin:

We don’t believe in a half night out tbh. It has to be top class and quality. I wouldn’t waste £6 on a lowly pleb seat
    in some dirty cinema. Plush seats like my snooker club, drinks delivered to you by a hot tottie.
    Penny arcades might suit you but a real gentlemen does it all in style tbh. Build that Devils Canyon this month yall.

I was actually talking about the cinema in the town I live, it’s not dirty, and is less than 10 years old. Not sure what is wrong with going to the pub, £30 where I live would buy you 10 or 11 pints.

• This post is deleted!

• @loin:

Usually I sell what is not needed back on the bay at profit. IT bits and bobs are snapped up fast if you know
    what your doing tbh. Those macs sell like hot cakes you know what to do now. Devils Canyon does sound
    good tho. Its a worthy build atm.

Its very hard to sell macs. We don’t have eBay we have trademe. A New Zealand only site. A lot less buyers. Mac laptops sell like hot cakes but I’m stuck with iMac desktops. Out of the 4 I’ve “owned” I’ve only managed to sell one of them. And I only sold it because I said it was broken when it wasn’t. I couldn’t sell it at what it was worth because everyone else was trying to do the same thing. I couldn’t put it on for dirt cheap either as everyone thought I was lying putting on a 2010 21 inch iMac starting bid at $250. But people with slightly broken ones at a similar price had tons of people bidding on it. So the next time I put it up I lied saying the stand was broken the screen scratched and the CD drive hole thingy didn’t always work. When none of those things were true. And it got tons of bids finally going at $355 NZD. When we were discussing payment details with the auction winner I told him that I had falsely advertised and made up everything about it being broken in order for it to bloody sell. He got a good damn deal. And I don’t feel ripped off as I didn’t pay for it in the first place.

Can’t be bothered about the rest. I got an 10 Year old PowerPC G5 iMac, a 2011 21 inch iMac and an early 2013 24 inch iMac. I only use the latter.

• What you have to do is think smaller. Sell the parts off not the complete box hehe. Individual parts are
    sought after esp to fix or upgrade a retro one. Also you could advertise on the Nearest bay even if
    posting international as the buyer pays postage and costs of import if needed. Usually they want
    the part and nothing stops them even another country. Shopping now for the Board for my Devils
    canyon tbh.