Is the shortbow worth it

• I’ve recently played some archer and i like the shortbow and may be even the longbow due to their relatively fast reload times. I don’t like to spam arrows but I really like the speed. I just stick an arrow in someone and let him get finished by someone else. I can also charge in with a cudgel since you have to be close with the shortbow. So are they worth it or should u stick with the war bow.

• if you want speed go light crossbow
    also cudgel is pretty shitty you’re much better off stabspamming with sabre or shortsword or thrusting dagger

• Is light crossbow faster at reloading or is the war bow faster. I thought Warbow was faster.

• Correct me if I’m wrong but it doesn’t say anything about speed in the bow/xbows section.

• ^^ “Fire time” is the total time between shots. 2.33 for shortbow, 2.4 for light xbow. You can aim the shortbow while you are readying your next shot, so light xbow is effectively slower than 2.4, however. On the other hand it does a ton more damage and the bolts go more than 10 feet.

Shortbow is pretty fun though.

• Ok, thx, srry about my mistake, I’m not very good at looking for things

• @Albert!:

if you want speed go light crossbow
    also cudgel is pretty shitty you’re much better off stabspamming with sabre or shortsword or thrusting dagger

But stab spamming someone with cudgel to death is very fun.

• @NoVaLombardia:

But stab spamming someone with cudgel to death is very fun.

dat drumstick meta

• @zombojoe:

dat drumstick meta

EU can’t even fathom it.

• I’ve been a longish user of the Shortbow, I tend to use it as an assist tool to slow and flinch enemies just before lines meet, or to pick off the wounded. Since it’s fairly low powered you do have to get in close and so you’re a much more ‘useful’ archer compared to the others that are hidden away right at the back doing sod all. As a result you need to keep your wits about you since you’re likely to be jumped on by flanking Vanguards etc. Just be prepared to be near the bottom of the scoreboard, since it’s fairly hard to actually kill ‘fresh’ people. :D

• Mod

It doesn’t even one shot archers to the head. That’s one thing it needs to do I think. It’s just irritating to use when assholes with warbows keep one shotting you. Better off using sling and lead balls if you want to be in the action. At least you’ve got footspeed to make you a harder target for casuals with warbows.

• Shortbow is quite good if used correctly.

It has a quick reload and limited effective range. You have to be in fairly close.
    You use it to flinch people who are about to release into a buddy.
    You use it to pick off hurt enemies.
    You use it to soften up bad guys.

You must compliment it with melee, since you are close in this is a must. With a shortbow a large portion of your kills are from melee.

Don’t bother shooting archers unless you have the drop on them, otherwise they’ll stomp you if they have a warbow or corssbow. Just stab them if you close enough.

• Shortbow w/ Broadheads can two-shot Man-at arms, so go figure which bow is more reliable to take down the speed unit. As a shortbow user, you may want to consider where you position yourself on the battlefield, for example you might do way more damage if you stick together with the pushing melee force and assist them at close quarter, Short bow is also an effective counter for Light Crossbow unless the crossbowman has cover to reload behind, out in the open they are pretty hopeless versus the Shortbow.

To clarify for some information regarding the spreadsheet, the firetime with shortbow is 1.4 seconds because the bowstring is only required to be drawn, and the phase after that is reload. so effectively /After/ firing a shot, you’ll have a total fire time of 2.33 seconds.

PS: Pavise on back is a ultimate counter for any shortbow rushing out in the open. As for the cudgel, it is a pretty dangerous weapon because of the ‘fake’ stab manouver that is widely abused with it.

How to:

Perform a stab where you intentionally miss your opponent, combo into an overhead and accelerate it to the ground.
    results may vary but most of the time you’ll result with hitting your opponent with your overhead combo before his parry recovery is done and allows him to perform another parry, but regardless of that technique. Cudgel has a rather limiting damage versus light class and should only be considered versus Vanguards or Knights, but even if so. Dagesse and Sabre still kinda outplays the cudgel with damage and versatility, I hope you find this information useful.

• i don’t play archer all that much , i do it mainly when i’m in the mood for a bit of trolling, but i’ll always pick the sling over the shortbow , leaded pebbles two-shot everything , it’s fast and very fun to play . Actually i’m quite curious to hear from an experienced archer why the shortbow is better than the sling because it’s definitely more popular from what i’ve seen .

• Mod

@Cromwell:

i don’t play archer all that much , i do it mainly when i’m in the mood for a bit of trolling, but i’ll always pick the sling over the shortbow , leaded pebbles two-shot everything , it’s fast and very fun to play . Actually i’m quite curious to hear from an experienced archer why the shortbow is better than the sling because it’s definitely more popular from what i’ve seen .

I honestly think most players just look at the sling and underrate it. It does have a slower trajectory compared to the shortbow, but I prefer it.

• Sling can be effective, it just requires a lot of effort. You can use it together with the melee force to poke or flinch targets.

• Mod

@wildwulfy:

Sling can be effective, it just requires a lot of effort. You can use it together with the melee force to poke or flinch targets.

It just takes a bit of getting used to. I never used the bows again after getting the veteran helmet when I was around rank 20. Then just used sling. You’ve got to be more precise with your predictions in player movement because leadballs and pebbles don’t fly as quick as an arrow. Two fully wound leadballs to chest and a couple of sabre stabs usually does the trick.

• Global Moderator

Shortbow with broadhead can two shot MAAs. Same broadheads can’t one hit headshot archers which is weird. So a slight buff in damage to make it a somewhat useful AA weapon would be nice. Though I haven’t looked at the stats. I know getting shot in the face by one with broadheads as an archer takes the bad down to a smidgen of health. So only a very slight increase is needed. But it might change knight HTK from 4 to 3. Broadhead damage type needs to be reworked really. It uses cut or something. Needs to have its own.

• you can two-shot everything with a leaded-ball sling, i do it often, ofc i try to avoid experienced enemy archers for obvious reasons - warbow is a pain, otherwise a slinger can be annoying as hell but not many people are using it .

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.