Random FPS Drops, tried everything

• Hey everyone!

I´m having problems with Chivalry:MW. I´m already runnig all settings on minimum, have deactivated Cool´n´Quiet, habe turned the Priority of the Game to High and Assigned it to only 2 Cores. Furthermore i have turned SmoothedFramerate of in the *.ini and Updated all my drivers.

Still, from time to time the fps drop below 10 fps, unrelated to what is happening on screen.

My Specs:

AMD Phenom X4 955 (4 Cores, 3,2Ghz)
    8GB Ram
    ATI HD 7870 (2GB GDDR5)
    Onboard Sound

Thought maybe it might be a problem with the Internet, but my Ping is alway around 20-50ms and i also checked packet loss with negative results.

I´m beyond my knowledge. Any ideas?

Thanks!

• Other games do this?

• I experienced similar problems with Battlefield 3 a year ago. But it was not nearly as regular and solved itself after a month or so. Also my ISP and Hardware changed since then, so i cant pinpoint something.

• same for me; that’s happen only for chivalry and only from barbarian patch

• Intermittant FPS drops are a tricky one to troubleshoot. It’s unlikely to be insufficient hardware if the game mostly runs alright. If FPS drops but the ping is fine, it’s unlikely to be something on the ISP, more likely the computer doing something that’s interfering with the game - common things like AV scans/automatic updates/some overlays

If you want to get down to the root cause, try running a perfmon trace with counters for cpu/memory/paging/disk queue and play the game. The trace should show you what the computer is doing when the fps drops occur

• @F4ncy:Your graphical card driver are up to date ?

• I will try that Monkeyfiend, but i turned of everything that could interfere. At least the obvious things, i guess. And yes, i even reinstalled the OS a month ago, because of the AMD Driver Issues regarding Wolfenstein. Thanks for the recommendations so far!

• Well, we have almost the same system. Same CPU, I have half your RAM and a 7850 and the game runs at a constant frame rate most of the time, but post-patch 28 I’ve gotten like 10 to 15 less FPS than I used to.
    I increased the multi for my CPU and now it’s running at 3.6. First time I OC’d something. The results are the same.

Try these:
    (UDKGame.ini)
    MinCompressedDurationGame=3 (default: 1)

Tesselation opts:
    http://i.imgur.com/qS2cnP5.png

Btw, I think I might be getting an upgrade soon. I saw how smooth the game played at my friends house (he recently got a not so great CPU -a FX6300- and a same tier VGA) and I could not believe my eyes.

• There was a patch to fix some intermittent fps issues just deployed, although not sure if your issues are related to this

• I´m getting the feeling it either works or it doesn´t. The UDKConfig.ini Settings is something i dug up already and it didnt help. But thank you for the suggestion. The new update didn´t change a thing, but now i also cant see any servers without reinstalling the game completely everytime i restart the game. Woohoo! :D Someboy got any ideas on that one?

• And Alphonse. I kind of observed an overall pattern that these kind of things dont happen with Nvidia Graphics and a Intel Processor. Just as a suggestion while you´re thinking about an upgrade.

• @F4ncy:

I´m getting the feeling it either works or it doesn´t. The UDKConfig.ini Settings is something i dug up already and it didnt help. But thank you for the suggestion. The new update didn´t change a thing, but now i also cant see any servers without reinstalling the game completely everytime i restart the game. Woohoo! :D Someboy got any ideas on that one?

Delete or move configs out of my docs, run a cache check through steam rather than reinstalling, run game. Config all video settings to medium, load a map that’s been giving you trouble and see if it’s improved any or not, then tweak video settings one at a time till you discover if any of them are causing the intermittent FPS issue.

Do not tweak the UI scale, and try running windowed mode if all else fails.

• @F4ncy:

And Alphonse. I kind of observed an overall pattern that these kind of things dont happen with Nvidia Graphics and a Intel Processor. Just as a suggestion while you´re thinking about an upgrade.

Yes, I might get an Nvidia card next time I upgrade but based solely on their shadowplay capabilities.

What’s weird is that I’ve read similar reports to the OP with Intel CPUs and Nvidia VGAs. The first one that comes to mind is the Clayton (the twitch guy) who had a constant lag and he had a GTX 770.

I’m not entirely sure the trend is real, just a ton of people with bad luck.

• It’s totally your CPU. the 955 just isn’t strong enough for Unreal Engine 3 games.
    I’ve got mine OC’d to 3.8ghz and it still struggles.

Soundmincompressed, set it to 3 or 4.
    Maxsoundchannels, set it to 24 or 28.

That will help a bit. Ultimatly there is little you can do, after the above.

I’ll be getting a i5-4690 in about 2 weeks, CPU issues will be gone for a good while after that. Don’t get an AMD cpu at the moment.

• @Alphonse:

Well, we have almost the same system. Same CPU, I have half your RAM and a 7850 and the game runs at a constant frame rate most of the time, but post-patch 28 I’ve gotten like 10 to 15 less FPS than I used to.
    I increased the multi for my CPU and now it’s running at 3.6. First time I OC’d something. The results are the same.

Try these:
    (UDKGame.ini)
    MinCompressedDurationGame=3 (default: 1)

Tesselation opts:
    http://i.imgur.com/qS2cnP5.png

Btw, I think I might be getting an upgrade soon. I saw how smooth the game played at my friends house (he recently got a not so great CPU -a FX6300- and a same tier VGA) and I could not believe my eyes.

I have an FX-8350 and it makes mincemeat of some games, while with other games, like single thread games, it just gives OK performance. For instance, I play Watch Dogs on high/very high at 60+ fps, but it doesn’t know what to make of chivalry lol. I would still recommend it, especially since games are utilizing multithread cpu’s much more now. The way things look, I would say games in the near future will be almost entirely dependent on GPU rather than CPU as well. I have HD 7870, by the way, and I’m very pleased with it’s performance/price. Probably going to upgrade GPU in the next year and add more RAM.

• i5-4690 crushes 8350 in almost all gaming benchmarks, if not all. It does lose out when video encoding though (lolz).

• @Toll:

i5-4690 crushes 8350 in almost all gaming benchmarks, if not all. It does lose out when video encoding though (lolz).

Nope, only in single (and duel) thread tasks, which is more practical when applied to consumer use. The 8350 is kinda crap for anything but multithread performance (which it excels in).