Free-For-All gamemode suggested improvement

• The current Free-For-All gamemode is, in my opinion, seriously flawed. It is not a contest of skill nor teamwork, but something along the lines of luck and ability to steal kills from other people.

I suggest a very simple change to the FFA gamemode - rather than points being based on skill, make points based on damage dealt, or maybe even the ratio of damage taken to damage dealt. This is a very simple change that would dramatically make Free For All more fair, interesting and skill-based, rather than about getting lucky and beheading four man-at-arms at once. This way, kill stealing is a non-issue and it is a contest of skill, ability to dodge, block and deal damage in the time span. Kill stealing is not as encouraged since the kills aren’t significant compared to damage dealt.

An argument could be made that this would make it unfair on the “lighter” classes such as man-at-arms and the archer. This argument is compelling, but you must consider the following: The man at arms has the oil pot and is capable of doing a serious amount of damage with it. He can also easily avoid damage with dodge, and he’s able to do a serious amount of damage if he’s quick and a skilled player. The skilled archer can do a serious infliction of damage from afar, especially with the war bow or siege crossbow. Consistantly landing shots with the user’s ranged weapon of choice is easier than scoring a kill with them, so this change would benefit the archer class.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks.

Chartax

• FFA is what you make of it. Top scoring is not really the point. Think of it as a Sandbox mode. The only reason why kill counts is to give something to put on the scoreboard.

• Just stop worrying about being “competitive” in FFA and concentrate on having fun. Use a sling or something. Bunny hop away from people while shouting compliments and apologies over your shoulder.

I don’t think there’s much point in “fixing” FFA… in its current shape, it’s appealing to low and mid-rank players who haven’t yet tired of it.

• If you want a fun change to normal ffa try giantslayers mod :)

• The one with the most damage wins? People like me would still go berzerk helicopter and win.

• This idea is not a viable productive algorithm in my logistics method of doing far more damage then I receive but
    managing to stay in the bottom 4 of all Score Results: hence I keep my rank 42 and the peon plebs don’t
    kick me off for being a ranked player coming in at top of the Score Table.

• I don’t see the need for scoring low, I score high and have never been kicked. If you aren’t a dick in chat you don’t get kicked.

On topic, FFA isn’t a contest of skill anyways, no one plays it seriously, and very few good players bother with it, so no need to make it more competitive.

• Mod

@gndo:

I don’t see the need for scoring low, I score high and have never been kicked. If you aren’t a dick in chat you don’t get kicked.

On topic, FFA isn’t a contest of skill anyways, no one plays it seriously, and very few good players bother with it, so no need to make it more competitive.

A few take it seriously. It’s fun to stuff around on and try crazy moves out. I get bored of it quite fast though, and feel bad for stealing kills.

• Scoring Damage??? Are you mad, there is allready enough Messer/Hammer Knights and Chargeguards in FAA.
    Killstealing is an art, that you train in FAA so that you get placed higher in clan matches

• I have only seen high scoring dicks get kicked tbh. Rare as it is I don’t kill steal at all and always face foes.
    Its usually the high scoring clan douches they kick and who can blame them, they get my vote yes always.
    Imo the scoring system is quite ok as it is now plus TB has a lot on atm with maps contests and patches.

• @loin:

I have only seen high scoring dicks get kicked tbh. Rare as it is I don’t kill steal at all and always face foes.
    Its usually the high scoring clan douches they kick and who can blame them, they get my vote yes always.
    Imo the scoring system is quite ok as it is now plus TB has a lot on atm with maps contests and patches.

Why do you vote yes to kick someone for scoring high? If that’s all they are doing then that’s hardly necessary.

• You are very boring tbh, always trying to derail threads and invent lies. I note you have inserted two questions that
    are not even present. When players are callvote to be kicked my responding vote is purely based on bad behaviour.
    Staying on topic as you don’t often seem able to do without sticking in questions and answers of your own the op’s
    Idea wouldn’t be feasible as I mentioned already in prior posts to add they certainly wouldn’t change the way rank
    is calculated because of one ffa pub players idea.

• @loin:

I have only seen high scoring dicks get kicked tbh. Rare as it is I don’t kill steal at all and always face foes.

What you and theese noobs are doing is the real bad behavior… why the hell do you vote yes if the dude is just doing fine in FFA? Thanks god I don’t play in your region and this is not an issue here.

@loin:

You are very boring tbh, always trying to derail threads and invent lies. I note you have inserted two questions that
    are not even present. When players are callvote to be kicked my responding vote is purely based on bad behaviour.
    Staying on topic as you don’t often seem able to do without sticking in questions and answers of your own the op’s
    Idea wouldn’t be feasible as I mentioned already in prior posts to add they certainly wouldn’t change the way rank
    is calculated because of one ffa pub players idea.

You tryed to derail this thread first with this “kick high score players” thing.

• You are just taking what gndo suggested in his own spin. They get my vote for misbehaving not for high scoring.
    Its very rare to see players kicked for just winning. These 24slot ffa servers are very patient players and
    if a vote kick is called its usually with good cause. eg one of the leaders recently was being racist as he
    killed and being very nasty, thus was kicked by vote. Off course they get my vote wouldn’t they get yours?
    People try to call vote leaders but it never gets passed just because of high scoring. Players have more common
    sense then that. Gndo stuck in his own answers to his own questions and assumptions as usual.
    The Op’s idea to base the score and rank on damage would not change how players behave at all.
    plus means changing the ranking system and system of scores in the entire game. Its not feasible atm.

• Oh in that case I would vote yes too. You said that you avoid being at the top of the score, so I thought that noobs in the region you play would votekick high score/high skill player.

• @loin:

You are just taking what gndo suggested in his own spin. They get my vote for misbehaving not for high scoring.
    Its very rare to see players kicked for just winning. These 24slot ffa servers are very patient players and
    if a vote kick is called its usually with good cause. eg one of the leaders recently was being racist as he
    killed and being very nasty, thus was kicked by vote. Off course they get my vote wouldn’t they get yours?
    People try to call vote leaders but it never gets passed just because of high scoring. Players have more common
    sense then that. Gndo stuck in his own answers to his own questions and assumptions as usual.
    The Op’s idea to base the score and rank on damage would not change how players behave at all.
    plus means changing the ranking system and system of scores in the entire game. Its not feasible atm.

You didn’t say that in your first I-kick-high-scoring-people-post though. Yea you called them douches and dicks, but I don’t know you, so I assumed you just don’t like those high-scoring guys.

Now back 2 topic pls. Or not, because I don’t think there’s much left to say.

• Your assuming is flawed pleb tbh. Simply implying I kick players because they score high is based on Gndo’s spin and bs.
    I mention high scoring douches and dicks. From day of release to now never have my votes been yes for a player to
    be kicked simply because he has a good score. Perhaps you need green lego bricks to play with as they don’t need high
    IQ’s. Lastly to those who suggest FFA is not skillful that is incorrect. Some of our best league players were recruited
    from the FFA pool of players, as any clan leader knows a pair of them in middle map defence are deadly. Usually 1 sniper
    and 1 dueller. Most ctf clan players lack skills in 1 to 1 combat so a clan worth salt should have a few FFA elites in
    its makeup for the hard hitters effect and buffers.

• My day isn’t complete without my coffee and reading loins post.

Keep it up!

• IMO the best thing to do in FFA is to play aggressively yet play to not die at all. So no risky attacks that leave you open to random attackers, always being aware of your surroundings (you just know that vanguard leap is coming…), yet not being a pussy that hides in a corner.

Simple doing that often nets you the win anyway with scores like 38/5. If there is a high skilled nutcase that doesn’t care about dieing and is FFAing just for DPS, then he may top your score, but with something like 40/25 or something crap.
    IMO it takes a good amount of skills to simply survive in a well populated FFA server, whilst still getting kills. Try keep a 4+ KDR whilst also staying in the top 5 players.

You get super bonus points if you start and finish a populated FFA match with 0 deaths and land in the top 5, extra, extra points if you are in #1 (even if you are playing against scrubs).

Also remember that to fight like that, means you have to let go of your EGO. It can be hard knowing that you can top-score if you played without care of death, that that pesky rank 37er wouldn’t be so cocky with his greatsword spam. Often this pressure on the EGO can make you do silly attacks that leave you open, leading to you getting a shit score and that lvl 37er outperforming you both in score and KDR.

• what i do to win FFA is go zweihander and lmb to create space while kill stealing as much as possible