MassiveLOD's = massiveFail

• I have had a bit of time in the past few days to actually do some work on my map, and one of the major problems people have had with it, is the FPS, and repetitive objectives.
    I figure FPS is more important, so I would get that out of the way first.

There was only one more thing I could do on the map to improve it’s performance, and that was to create LOD meshes for all of the buildings in the village, so I did.
    And after a whooooole bunch of hassles, it ended up working perfectly……inside the editor.
    But just like most things in UDK, once you compile (break) the map, it seems to fall to pieces.

One of the LOD meshes loads ok, but the only texture showing on the mesh, is the thatch (roof), but the wooden structural supports and brick are just black.

The other LOD meshes just don’t exist at all. There is physically something where they should be, but they just don’t seem to exist at all after compiling.

Maybe someone has a solution, I am running out of solutions.
    UDK seems to have a habit of giving birth to new problems after fixing a problem. And I really don’t know when my patience will run out with it and I throw in the towel.

Here is an image of the annoyance:

The good news is that performance is better…

• UPDATE:
    I just checked to see if the models were loading, and they are, so that narrows it down purely to materials (yay!).
    On other good news, it doesn’t break my map, the buildings still burn like normal, it just makes it look a like it’s missing half the village -_-
    –----------------
    I believe the issue may actually be to do with naming conventions of materials within Autodesk Maya before exporting.
    Even though the naming convention is the same as the fbx that I imported to Maya.
    Either that, or it could be an issue in correlation with some MaterialInstanceConstants…

Anyway, here is an example of what it looks like within the staticmesh editor inside of UDK. As you can see, it all is fine.
    It’s almost as if once compiled, the objects are trying to reference the MaterialInstanceConstants that are part of the main game, but just can’t find them for some reason.

I may need to just create my own MaterialInstanceConstants, and my own M_Standard_Master material, along with the relevant texture materials like wood, stone, thatch.

Also, I checked out the thatching material and the name of the material within Maya. It is prefixed with a T_ rather than an M_
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the problems.

• So now i’m discovering that new mesh imports just don’t show up in game at all.

UDK corrupted every single one of my building’s and their lighting, so I had to replace every single building, then change the kismet nodes to the new interpactors for them to work, and it’s done that twice now for no good reason, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the issues I am running into are just an issue with the version of fbx I am using (2012). Because it’s the only thing that has changed since I last imported something (with success).

I have spent more time fixing UDK problems than actually developing my map….it is frustrating to say the least.

ALSO, I just uploaded the working, backed up version to workshop to avoid any potential disqualifications :)

• I might be wrong but you may be running into a lot of performance issues because of the dynamic lighting in your map. It looks like the map is almost using entirely dynamic shadows for things which in UE3 is a quick way to murder your performance XD

• @evilmrfrank:

I might be wrong but you may be running into a lot of performance issues because of the dynamic lighting in your map. It looks like the map is almost using entirely dynamic shadows for things which in UE3 is a quick way to murder your performance XD

You are right.
    Before going to work this morning, I thought I would amuse myself quickly by checking the lighting for all of the objects. Lo and Behold, almost EVERYTHING was casting a dynamic shadow……every…single…thing O_O

Considering I made sure nothing had dynamic shadowing before, this baffles me, and annoys the heck out of me. The good news is, since getting back from work, I’ve been disabling dynamic shadows for everything.

Should make a significant performance improvement like the last time I turned dynamic shadows off everything.

The reason I looked was because one update, performance was much better for people, then I updated again, and suddenly performance was terrible again. I never thought much of it, but thought about it this morning, and that was where the problem was…I don’t know how everything got the dynamic shadow tickbox checked again, but…I’m not going to question UDK… I have come to accept that it just does these things -_-

UPDATE:

So…here’s a new one for amusement…

Everything now uses static shadows…but the shadows only appear when you move AWAY from the objects, not closer to them O_O…must…remain…calm…sd;kuhyiadlkjayhdi712yeiye2j lkb12yhjds

UPDATE 2:

Nevermind that, I had “Whole scene dynamic shadow radius” up at a high value still, which was trying to render dynamic shadows up to a certain distance, which takes precedence over static shadows/baked shadows.
    I turned dynamic shadow radius down to 0, which seems to have fixed the issue. And FPS up at about 60, rather than 30-40. Massive increase.

• Good to see that you were able to figure out this issue.

• I dunno about sorting it out, lol.

I sorted out one issue hahaha.

But I have to sort out the massiveLOD problem with the missing building’s and materials.

I have the day off work today, so I’ll try and work out what is happening and try to fix the problem.

Using static lighting dramatically increases the map file size, and makes all shadows look blobby and wierd, it also removes grass shadows.
    Performance definitely improves, but nobody is going to want to download a 300mb map, haha.

The performance improves by using LOD meshes, but I just need to find out how to fix the original issue posted here.

UPDATE:

Just found out that the meshes were corrupted only once compiled….or something, inside of UDK.

Inside of the editor, it all shows up correctly, but in game, it seems to be grabbing an older mesh and trying to use that instead, which causes issues.

UPDATE 2:

So to test things further, I imported the meshes to new files within the package.
    Once again, the objects load perfectly fine in the editor, but once I cook the map and try to test it, they are non-existent.

In the log, it appears to be cooking the new mesh I imported:

Cooking OTE_PACKAGE
    Building adjacency information for static mesh ‘OTE_PACKAGE.T-cot’.
    Cooking AOCTO-OnTheEdgebeta_p
    Building adjacency information for static mesh ‘OTE_PACKAGE.T-cot’.

But in game, it just…isn’t there. Anywhere, I’m not using it for massiveLOD or anything. I just dumped the model into the level.

I tried another model, which includes sets of buildings from the upper and lower part of the village, and that appears fine both in editor, and after compile…
    I am so confused ><

UPDATE:
    PROBLEM SOLVED!

Because my Colosseum was uploaded and I used the colour loookup table from On The Edge, it stored an older version of On The Edge’s package in my game. So whenever I went to cook/compile the map, it was for some stupid reason, pulling the package from the Colosseum map and using that….

Front-end needs work…a lot of work ><

So now my meshes all appear, along with their textures/materials :)