Some completely random thoughts/complaints

• 1. Why the heck are there so many FFA servers and Low rank servers?

Torn Banner claims to have taken a turn and listening to it’s “proper” community again when they removed panic parry and Tibberius even made that post in which they sort of apologized about their lack of community.
    So here you go: The majority of the community you claim to listen to again, never really plays FFA.

I’m not saying people on these forums never play FFA, but I think it’s safe to say it’s one of the more disliked gamemodes.
    This complaint isn’t really specifically directed to Torn Banner because their official servers are far from the only servers available in the game. But it would be nice to, for once, open up my server browser and don’t have to cycle through the first 10 Free-For-All servers to find the first Team-Objective server.

Same goes for low rank servers. Although I must say I think there’s been a general decrease in those; that’s good. Could also be that they’re always full and my filters hide full servers. In which case you really got to decrease the amount of low rank servers.

2. Teamplay is nonexistant.

This is the main reason I barely play pubs anymore. I pretty much spend all my time on near-died out LTS servers or being bored to death on classic duel servers.
    Join 32p TO server.
    Death #1 - Teamkilled of course, what else?
    Death #2 - Ganked by 5 opponents. Your team? No clue where your teammembers are, really. They were just behind you moments ago.
    Death #3 - Ganked by 5 attackers while trying to defend the last remaining objective-the tower from Outpost.
    Seriously, there’s only 1 last objective left to defend and yet your team is nowhere to be found. Good job, team!

Also comes in the great variation of Hillside. Almost the entire attacking team is stacked at the lowest Ballista shooting your ships down, and even 5 “They are on the lowest ballista! Downstairs!” in teamchat later your team is still stacked upstairs for some reason.

This is the community’s fault, not Torn Banner’s. But I felt like getting it off my chest anway; it’s quite annoying having to deal with your team when it’s composed of… well, idiots.

3. Coldfront.

Coldfront deserves it’s own topic.
    It crashes many players on the first objectives and overall is just garbage in terms of optimization.
    Yet Torn Banner refuses to either remove it from their map rotation or get the many issues concerning the map fixed.
    I never play on Official TO servers because of this and I adviced everyone I know that likes TO servers to do the same.

• Mod

I’ve been saying for over a month that coldfront and citadel need to be removed from map rotation until fixed. They’re broken and ruin the flow of the rotation. We’ve been waiting on this UI patch for 2 months now…

• Definitely remove Citadel.

• @Rickvs:

It crashes many players on the first objectives and overall is just garbage in terms of optimization.

I agree with your points, but I will ask; are you sure that it crashes many players on first objective, or do they just leave because its a shit map?

• @gndo:

I agree with your points, but I will ask; are you sure that it crashes many players on first objective, or do they just leave because its a shit map?

Yes. If it crashes, it’s always the first objective, after a few minutes, more often than not, it does. And so far when it has, I’ve always been in the house on the right, from the defending side. A or B, I can’t remember which.

Same for Citadel, when it does, it’s always the second objective.

I have to wait to spawn in until after the first objective on Coldfront to play, or until after the second on Citadel, to avoid crashing.

• People love FFA it deserves the servers it has, also in my region (europe) there is allways enough servers for whatever you want to play. though I am still waiting for mirror Teamdamage .

• Mod

@Chimpanzer:

Yes. If it crashes, it’s always the first objective, after a few minutes, more often than not, it does. And so far when it has, I’ve always been in the house on the right, from the defending side. A or B, I can’t remember which.

Same for Citadel, when it does, it’s always the second objective.

I have to wait to spawn in until after the first objective on Coldfront to play, or until after the second on Citadel, to avoid crashing.

Coldfront used to crash consistently for me on the first objective until I upgraded from an i5 750 to an i5 4670K. Haven’t had a crash on that map since. Citadel still randomly crashes though.

• @Rickvs:

Here ya go.

http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/18964-RELEASED-AOCTO-Coldfront-Team-Objective

But it would be nice to, for once, open up my server browser and don’t have to cycle through the first 10 Free-For-All servers to find the first Team-Objective server.

Server filters! :)

• 2. Teamplay is nonexistant.

This is the main reason I barely play pubs anymore. I pretty much spend all my time on near-died out LTS servers or being bored to death on classic duel servers.
    Join 32p TO server.
    Death #1 - Teamkilled of course, what else?
    Death #2 - Ganked by 5 opponents. Your team? No clue where your teammembers are, really. They were just behind you moments ago.
    Death #3 - Ganked by 5 attackers while trying to defend the last remaining objective-the tower from Outpost.
    Seriously, there’s only 1 last objective left to defend and yet your team is nowhere to be found. Good job, team!

Also comes in the great variation of Hillside. Almost the entire attacking team is stacked at the lowest Ballista shooting your ships down, and even 5 “They are on the lowest ballista! Downstairs!” in teamchat later your team is still stacked upstairs for some reason.

This is the community’s fault, not Torn Banner’s. But I felt like getting it off my chest anway; it’s quite annoying having to deal with your team when it’s composed of… well, idiots.

This is in a way TB’s fault. Up until now with the UI patch, they never had any player-made tutorials on the main menu or in the game. Players would love to watch tutorial videos but people are also lazy and refuse to look them up themselves. We should see a dramatic overall skill increase with those videos on the main menu which will likely also improve people’s teamplay skills.

• 32p servers are stupid. Anything above 24p is just chaos and chaos naturally leads to teamkilling.

There are plenty of servers but they never appear to be filled well enough. Fortunately there is at least one official 24p TO server up at most times in Europe, I have to try over and over to join but in the end it’s something. I am yet to understand the logic behind classic servers, they are full whenever they got a TO map but once that change half the server leaves, why they don’t go to TO only servers is beyond me.

As for crashing. I never crash in citadel but the crashing point is quite noticable as half the server suddenly leaves. It’s about when there are five or so minutes left at the second objective. I do however quite often crash on first objective on coldfront, sometimes even twice.

Also check my “The daily struggle on a pub TO server” If you want to get an outline of what I think about teamplay state.

• I agree, there really need to be fewer low rank servers. In almost every game, low and high skilled players are mixed and put together in two (or sometimes even more) teams.
    How should the new ones get better when they don’t get to play against them until they’ve reached level 15? The real issue, for me at least, is that there are already so few good servers running Team objective game mode and putting restrictions, such as “Rank 0 - 15 only”, on them isn’t any helpful.

Don’t really think that so many people love FFA though; it’s just wait and then finish off the wounded who are in combat.

In terms of experienced players, I don’t think one can and should blame TBS. If beginners don’t look for guides or videos on how to get better on their own, then they should not be forced to. I mean, the are game developers and not babysitters…

• @Shellshock:

I agree, there really need to be fewer low rank servers. In almost every game, low and high skilled players are mixed and put together in two (or sometimes even more) teams.
    How should the new ones get better when they don’t get to play against them until they’ve reached level 15? The real issue, for me at least, is that there are already so few good servers running Team objective game mode and putting restrictions, such as “Rank 0 - 15 only”, on them isn’t any helpful.

Don’t really think that so many people love FFA though; it’s just wait and then finish off the wounded who are in combat.

In terms of experienced players, I don’t think one can and should blame TBS. If beginners don’t look for guides or videos on how to get better on their own, then they should not be forced to. I mean, the are game developers and not babysitters…

IMO, new player joins the game, plays in low rank server until rank 16. Up until now he has got used to the game as he perceives it, and has experienced it in these low rank servers. He has some idea what is effective and how to parry normal attacks. He probably has no idea about drags, footwork or anything in particular really. He may have seen a few flash feints but possibly not even understood what they are yet.

Then he gets to rank 16 and sees a completely different game, doesn’t know how to react to it. People don’t like change, what’s he going to do? Well from what I have seen, they want to go back to the low rank servers they are used to, or just get angry and stop playing.

These no doubt are worst case scenarios, as people love to whinge/complain, and I’m sure there are players who just knuckle down and get on with relearning the game. However it does perhaps show that low rank servers may not be the best idea, as it gives players an incorrect viewpoint of the game, and in general, teach bad habits.

If you are going to learn anything, it’s best to learn it properly the first time, rather than picking up bad habits, as it just takes longer to relearn the correct way after.

• Citadel is one of my favorite maps and I have no issues (FPS or otherwise) with it, nor have I ever noticed anyone on the servers I frequent complain about it. This feedback is just for the devs I guess… as a dissenting opinion to the OP…

• @HaHawk:

Citadel is one of my favorite maps and I have no issues (FPS or otherwise) with it, nor have I ever noticed anyone on the servers I frequent complain about it. This feedback is just for the devs I guess… as a dissenting opinion to the OP…

I’be never crashed on citadel either, but I have seen others crash. Server mostly empties on second objective. It does happen.

• Then he gets to rank 16 and sees a completely different game, doesn’t know how to react to it. People don’t like change, what’s he going to do? Well from what I have seen, they want to go back to the low rank servers they are used to, or just get angry and stop playing.

These no doubt are worst case scenarios, as people love to whinge/complain, and I’m sure there are players who just knuckle down and get on with relearning the game. However it does perhaps show that low rank servers may not be the best idea, as it gives players an incorrect viewpoint of the game, and in general, teach bad habits.

If you are going to learn anything, it’s best to learn it properly the first time, rather than picking up bad habits, as it just takes longer to relearn the correct way after.

This happens often. Nearly every time I go pubbing there’s at least one guy in chat crying about low rank servers and how he wants to go back because he’s 0-10 and never learned how to properly drag or feint. It creates a bad experience for the new players while also excluding and pissing off long-time players. Low-rank servers suck.

• On the subject of teamplay, it actually is Torn Banner’s fault. I don’t feel very motivated to play the objective when only kills count towards rank and objective points are meaningless.

• @Jon:

On the subject of teamplay, it actually is Torn Banner’s fault. I don’t feel very motivated to play the objective when only kills count towards rank and objective points are meaningless.

Not every player has rank autism.

• @Martys:

32p servers are stupid. Anything above 24p is just chaos and chaos naturally leads to teamkilling.

There are plenty of servers but they never appear to be filled well enough.
    ……

I find the chaos of large servers to be the style of game I like, hence why my clan runs two 50 slot servers. They’re also typically ranked in the top few in the world, so others seem to agree and are generally full.
    Teamkilling is something to keep an eye on, but we do have strict rules against teamkilling and generally have admins on both servers a lot of the time.

It’s not perfect, but I’d take that experience over a random 24 slot pubbie server any day

• Same goes with the 50 and 64 slot servers for dearest warrior. Difference being deadliest warrior was made with 64 players in mind. Problem being the only 64 slot servers are in Australia. But there’s one 50-64 slot server fullish usually. Quite often a duel server, FFA server and possibly another random server with player on as well.

• FFA and low ranks are the two most constant populated server types… It’s sad. I agree there needs to be fewer low rank servers, but there’s as many TO servers as FFA (or a very small difference), it’s just FFA is more popular. The forums prefer TO but the pubs prefer FFA. It sucks, but it’s really nice when you can join a full FFA server and vote in a TO then everyone thanks you.

Honestly, I hate teamwork in pubs. One skilled player should be able to significantly change the outcome of pub TO. I don’t want to depend on others to win and get an amazing KD no matter what team or class or weapon I’m using. It’s easy to pub stomp TO and I think that’s why most people do it when they do. I do clan battles or League for teamwork.