Woot! Visual improvements!… hahaha

• The best so far is no more smoke pots! Yeah, they broke them….

Correction EDIT- Only in single player mode or solo in a server, they do work in game.

So let me get this right. These are supposed to be FPS improvements but then you go and add animations to the menues and many times they magically pixelate into existance. Man I just built this great new PC with an I7 only to have my FPS drop even after adjusting the settings to lower than they were before the patch.

Then they removed the ability to delete keybinds so that you have to go into your new INI file: UDKPlayerInput.ini to manually delete stupid default binds like TURN LEFT. Then if you do manually tweak your keybind ini file, be careful not to use the in game keybind menu as it tends to delete all your hard work.

Guess I will go play now and see what else is so fantastic!

• Mod

@Retsnom:

The best so far is no more smoke pots! Yeah, they broke them…. So let me get this right. These are supposed to be FPS improvements but then you go and add animations to the menues and many times they magically pixelate into existance. Man I just built this great new PC with an I7 only to have my FPS drop even after adjusting the settings to lower than they were before the patch.

Then they removed the ability to delete keybinds so that you have to go into your new INI file: UDKPlayerInput.ini to manually delete stupid default binds like TURN LEFT. Then if you do manually tweak your keybind ini file, be careful not to use the in game keybind menu as it tends to delete all your hard work.

Guess I will go play now and see what else is so fantastic!

This is why they have betas. So tinkerers can test their tinkering before a thing is fully released. If you had’ve tested it out, you’d know ;)

• Well…. after some testing, the smoke pots do work in game. They do not work on a solo testing. It seems like a funny glitch where if you join a server solo, smoke pots are invisible along with the campfire wood but the flame still burns.

I have mixed feelings about the menues. For one, some of them black out what is happening in game like when you hit tab.

I do like the kill/death info after you die, I just think they are too big. I don’t ike the main menu with a armored and bloody Ellen DeGeneres just standing there.

As far as the simplified graphics? eh… they just seem plain. But It seems that the game remembers your last load out so that is knid of nice.

So far it is 50/50 But I dont see the FPS savings yet and it would be nice to be able to increase the size of the dot crosshair. But that is just me.

• Man I just built this great new PC with an I7 only to have my FPS drop even after adjusting the settings to lower than they were before the patch.

i3 with integrated graphics and this is the first patch ever that I’ve been able to hit 120 fps - up from 45ish max. It’s like opposite day or something.

• To delete keybinds, double click them and press escape.
    (I told them people wouldn’t know how to.)

• I think the FPS savings would only be for those where turning off the hud made a difference. Turning off/on hud didn’t change fps for me, although it made a nice difference for some.

• Let’s play find the frame!!!
    Is this my frame? No, that is a ghost swing - this is not my frame.
    Is this my frame? No, that is a buggy overlay. That is not my frame.
    Is this my frame? No, that is 15 FPS with a 780Ti. That is not my frame.

• Mod

Coldfront is still a steaming pile of shit for most people. I get a steady 62 frames until I swing my flail, then I get frame drop.

• this is crazy man. after barb patch my fps went way down to shit level, and i start teleporting all over the place and have shitty ass experience, but no one else seemed to have issues like mine and “it must be your computer” started.

now, this patch, while my fps hasn’t improved much it has a little and my teleports seem to have stopped. everyone else having terrible fps and experience now while my game is playable now.

we need to collaborate on what settings tbs is changing and how it affects what set-ups.

• @50ShadesofClay:

this is crazy man. after barb patch my fps went way down to shit level, and i start teleporting all over the place and have shitty ass experience, but no one else seemed to have issues like mine and “it must be your computer” started.

now, this patch, while my fps hasn’t improved much it has a little and my teleports seem to have stopped. everyone else having terrible fps and experience now while my game is playable now.

we need to collaborate on what settings tbs is changing and how it affects what set-ups.

Or maybe you just had a big placebo all along

• @CRUSHED:

Or maybe you just had a big placebo all along

nah i’ve had plenty of streams/recordings/screenshots for proof.

• Mod

@50ShadesofClay:

nah i’ve had plenty of streams/recordings/screenshots for proof.

I was in the same server as you, definitely noticed the lag then hahaha. Very strange how this patch fixed it.

• WELL… I hopped in a ctf Moor and for some reason when I passed certain trees the lighting and shadows would flash like if someone had a flash on a camera… That is new… and it sucks… not sure why, never seen that effect before, ever…

• @Retsnom:

WELL… I hopped in a ctf Moor and for some reason when I passed certain trees the lighting and shadows would flash like if someone had a flash on a camera… That is new… and it sucks… not sure why, never seen that effect before, ever…

Yeah, the shadows in Moor are flickering for me too. There was a bit of flickering pre-update but now it’s even worse.

• Found a few more things I am liking about the patch. One is to completely turn off the dancing grass. I have never understood why it was made to bounce around. I understand it is supposed to simulate grass waving in the wind but is just doesn’t work well and clearly it part of the resource hog.

Now that you can turn off foliage completely I am getting better fps on the maps that used that grass. I think part of the problem with Moor and why it is flickering has to do with the lighting and shadow maps because of the new ability to turn off the grass. But I would say that Moore has always flickered in a few spots but now it seems to have increased. It really needs a going over.

Battlegrounds still has some fps issues along with cold front but that is no surprise.

Some of the nicest features in the new patch are:
    the death info with the balance of who has killed more
    Rank and Stats at the end of the map
    It saves class load outs so you are not wasting time to get into game! but I miss the random both in class and in team choice.
    Easier map vote and kick - just wish we had server admin controls as well.

I am getting an issue where my settings keep going to default every time I start the game. Not sure why that is happening. I think I have prevented it by making my INIs read only

The more I learn the better I am liking the patch, I guess I just want more.
    Still not a fan of all the graphic changes but that has more to do with me having years of graphic design and marketing under my belt. So that is probably esthetic artistic differences. I still hate the barbarians…… hehe

• I will add that the map vote is still messed up though as there are duplicate maps listed and non of the custom maps are listed nor are the FFA and FD duel maps…. I do hope that gets fixed soon. It should automatically check the installed maps and list them regardless if they are in the server rotation but I am not sure how the query and listing was developed.

• I have a core 2 duo e7400 3ghz and gtx 550 ti, and my average fps has dropped after this patch.

• I would also say that my FPS has dropped by about 10-20 fps. I now have a beast of a machine and I have even turned down some settings but still have loss

• Some people have had massive increases while others have decreases. Really strange.