Protips For Everybody

• http://cmwleague.boards.net/thread/16/protips

My tips.

Protip: In some situations where backpedaling can’t be used (in corners or are surrounded) crouch but DO NOT MOVE. If you move while crouching your model will pop up much higher than if you just crouched and stood still. Gives you a lot of extra time to parry overheads and such.

Protip: When backpedaling aim your head 30 or so degrees directly upwards. This will lean your entire torso and head backwards creating even more space. (common knowledge to comp players but good for new players and such)

Protip: When stabbing and need just a few more centimeters of range, aim for your enemy’s hands. They stick out in front of your enemy’s body and do full torso damage when hit.

Protip: In teamfights, don’t fight shields 1v1 ever. Hit them, make them block and run away to hit someone else. If they try to chase you a teammate will cover your back and repeat the same process, effectively zoning the shield user perfectly. This works better on knights than it does MAA however. (WARNING: REQUIRES DECENT TEAMMATES)

Protip: Don’t use the regular Crossbow. LCB does so much more DPS and HCB has the one-hit kill on MAA to the torso. Regular crossbow has no redeeming qualities.

Protip: Greatsword is currently the best overall weapon in the game. (WARNING: WILL LIKELY BE NERFED NEXT PATCH)

Protip: Fork is actually better than Greatsword.

Protip: Don’t be afraid to ask good players for advice or tips. We don’t bite.

• @Flippy:

Protip: Don’t use the regular Crossbow. LCB does so much more DPS and HCB has the one-hit kill on MAA to the torso. Regular crossbow has no redeeming qualities.

Standard crossbow oneshots archers to the torso and has much lower reload time (and more ammo) than heavy crossbow. I’d say it’s pretty good if you are going to hunt other archers and are bored with warbow.

• Protip: If you are outnumbered and need a hasty retreat, jump-parry and use the vanguards knockback to knock you out of danager.

Protip: Attacking in this game is far more advantageous then defending, if you are using a fast weapon, you should be attacking a lot more than defending.

Protip: Don’t always riposte, sometimes doing nothing is the best option. Be ready to take advantage of your opponents parry. Works best when you have traded ripostes for a few attacks (the more trading of ripostes, the better doing nothing will work).

Protip: If you have a team mate with you, don’t attack at the same time, let him attack first and then you follow up quickly afterwards, long enough so the enemy has to parry-into-parry or get during his parry-recover. There is no point in attacking at the same time.

Protip: Attack at the same time if you and your team mate are on opposite sides of the enemy.

Protip: If you are fighting an enemy with a slow weapon, don’t be afraid to kick. When you get good at it, you will find great opportunities kicking people with fast weapons too.

Protip: Learn to do basic drags, just the simple LMB delayed attack will help you a lot. Build from there.

Protip: With Overhead delayed drags you are aiming to hit your opponents foot more often than not (unless they parry nice and early then go for the torso or even head).

• @Kreittis:

Standard crossbow oneshots archers to the torso and has much lower reload time (and more ammo) than heavy crossbow. I’d say it’s pretty good if you are going to hunt other archers and are bored with warbow.

That’s the thing though, With crossbows you should be shooting for the melee only and staying out of the other archer’s LOS. HCB and LCB are both better than the CB in this regard. Warbow is the best for counter-arching.

Protip: If you are outnumbered and need a hasty retreat, jump-parry and use the vanguards knockback to knock you out of danager.

Oh man this is an awesome trick and I always forget about it. Rest of your tips are great too, you should post them to the other forum.

• Protip: Bind your primary column parry to some random letter you are not using, bind the 2nd column parry to RMB. BAM instant parry. Feint must be bound to a different key.

This also has the advantage of saving about 100ms double clicking Combo-feint to parry. So it pretty much just goes combo-parry…

• @Flippy:

That’s the thing though, With crossbows you should be shooting for the melee only and staying out of the other archer’s LOS. HCB and LCB are both better than the CB in this regard. Warbow is the best for counter-arching.

Some people might find crossbows easier to aim and the fact that you don’t need to nock the arrow more attractive. You also get that sweet pavise shield so I wouldn’t say that warbow is just simply better.

@Toll:

Protip: Bind your primary column parry to some random letter you are not using, bind the 2nd column parry to RMB. BAM instant parry. Feint must be bound to a different key.

This also has the advantage of saving about 100ms double clicking Combo-feint to parry. So it pretty much just goes combo-parry…

Man, this is so confusing. Why not just bind “gba_feint | gba_parry” to rmb?

• @Flippy:

Protip: When stabbing and need just a few more centimeters of range, aim for your enemy’s hands. They stick out in front of your enemy’s body and do full torso damage when hit.

Love this tip!

• @Kreittis:

Some people might find crossbows easier to aim and the fact that you don’t need to nock the arrow more attractive. You also get that sweet pavise shield so I wouldn’t say that warbow is just simply better.

I like the snapshot capability of the crossbow over the warbow. Regular Xbow way better then Heavy. I sometimes take the light xbow to flinch for teammates but, really, the regular Xbow is the best overall. IMO anyway.

• Mod

@Kreittis:

Man, this is so confusing. Why not just bind “gba_feint | gba_parry” to rmb?

Because a good player will anticipate the CFtP and delay their attack to hit you.

• @Kim:

Because a good player will anticipate the CFtP and delay their attack to hit you.

You can still use Q for regular cftp’s tho

• @Monsteri:

You can still use Q for regular cftp’s tho

Then you’d have to take your finger off the A key.

• Great tips, but shh about the little-known might of the fork!!

• Global Moderator

The regular crossbow has the fastest projectile speed and lowest projectile drop making it the best anti archer crossbow long range. That’s its redeeming qualities. Its not a short range crossbow like the LCB or even the HCB. The HCB you can fire a shot then swap to melee which is how many use it. The light crossbow is close ranged support where you can deal damage and are far less likely to hit team mates because of the range. The normal crossbow is for long range anti archer support. Useful if the enemy has a lot of archers. Maps like stoneshill, citadel and battlegrounds is where it shines.

So its not useless its just that each crossbow requires a massively different playstyle. Bows and javelins don’t have as much diversity as the crossbow. For many new archers it may actually be a better option as they won’t be very good in melee which LCB and HCB crossbow playstyles require.

• I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.

The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects.

Also Pfft Pavis shield, that is for the unaware. I’d rather the extra 11 shots for heavy Xbow. You just need to know where the enemy archers are and use the maps terrain to reload.

The ProTip about RMB insta-parry bind is more useful for the higher of ping, were shaving that 100ms off means the difference between a working parry and a late one. If you have a nice low ping, and the attackers do too, then having that RMB bind is a disadvantage.

• Mod

@Toll:

Protip: Attack at the same time if you and your team mate are on opposite sides of the enemy.

This still doesn’t work a lot of the time. The ass parry’s in this game happen far too often and I still like to time my swing either before or after the other persons swing.

Call me stupid, but I’ve never even considered aiming for arms or hands. I guess I just see it as a smaller target and therefore greater risk of a missed strike.

Fork is godlike, I agree.

• @Toll:

I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.
    The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects…

All Xbows should be used at close range but only the regular Xbow is effective at long range. It will also one-shot MAAs who think bumrushing a lonely archer will be easy. Heavy is nearly useless at most ranges. The LXbow is a good option if you have good teammates but I play pubs, so …

• I like being close range because I like stabbing people with my stabbing knife. However the Heavy Xbow can be used at any range. It travels fast enough and with little drop that it matters not. Not compared to the Bow’s.

Really the best places to use Xbow’s is where you have cover you can quickly duck behind to reload, so you don’t have to rely on a pavise shield, so you can have extra ammo. Darkforest is full of places like that, as defender the first obejctive has the most.

• Mod

@Toll:

I like being close range because I like stabbing people with my stabbing knife. However the Heavy Xbow can be used at any range. It travels fast enough and with little drop that it matters not. Not compared to the Bow’s.

Really the best places to use Xbow’s is where you have cover you can quickly duck behind to reload, so you don’t have to rely on a pavise shield, so you can have extra ammo. Darkforest is full of places like that, as defender the first obejctive has the most.

The amount of times I get caught out trying to do a sneaky on the archers on that map and miss one hiding behind something that blasts me in the head :(

• It will also one-shot MAAs who think bumrushing a lonely archer will be easy.

CB doesn’t one-shot MAA unless it’s a headshot. HCB is a one-shot to the torso and head.

• Global Moderator

@Toll:

I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.

The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects.

Also Pfft Pavis shield, that is for the unaware. I’d rather the extra 11 shots for heavy Xbow. You just need to know where the enemy archers are and use the maps terrain to reload.

The ProTip about RMB insta-parry bind is more useful for the higher of ping, were shaving that 100ms off means the difference between a working parry and a late one. If you have a nice low ping, and the attackers do too, then having that RMB bind is a disadvantage.

I use it on attack when the enemy has good archers or archers that hide behind something it beats the reload of an HCB so you have the advantage there

Its speed is much faster than the HCB. As with its projectile drop being far less. Try it out and compare. Stand in a corner aim at some far off object that you have no chance of hitting and see how far it goes. Repeat with the HCB.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.