Protips For Everybody

• @Monsteri:

You can still use Q for regular cftp’s tho

Then you’d have to take your finger off the A key.

• Great tips, but shh about the little-known might of the fork!!

• The regular crossbow has the fastest projectile speed and lowest projectile drop making it the best anti archer crossbow long range. That’s its redeeming qualities. Its not a short range crossbow like the LCB or even the HCB. The HCB you can fire a shot then swap to melee which is how many use it. The light crossbow is close ranged support where you can deal damage and are far less likely to hit team mates because of the range. The normal crossbow is for long range anti archer support. Useful if the enemy has a lot of archers. Maps like stoneshill, citadel and battlegrounds is where it shines.

So its not useless its just that each crossbow requires a massively different playstyle. Bows and javelins don’t have as much diversity as the crossbow. For many new archers it may actually be a better option as they won’t be very good in melee which LCB and HCB crossbow playstyles require.

• I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.

The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects.

Also Pfft Pavis shield, that is for the unaware. I’d rather the extra 11 shots for heavy Xbow. You just need to know where the enemy archers are and use the maps terrain to reload.

The ProTip about RMB insta-parry bind is more useful for the higher of ping, were shaving that 100ms off means the difference between a working parry and a late one. If you have a nice low ping, and the attackers do too, then having that RMB bind is a disadvantage.

• Mod

@Toll:

Protip: Attack at the same time if you and your team mate are on opposite sides of the enemy.

This still doesn’t work a lot of the time. The ass parry’s in this game happen far too often and I still like to time my swing either before or after the other persons swing.

Call me stupid, but I’ve never even considered aiming for arms or hands. I guess I just see it as a smaller target and therefore greater risk of a missed strike.

Fork is godlike, I agree.

• @Toll:

I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.
    The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects…

All Xbows should be used at close range but only the regular Xbow is effective at long range. It will also one-shot MAAs who think bumrushing a lonely archer will be easy. Heavy is nearly useless at most ranges. The LXbow is a good option if you have good teammates but I play pubs, so …

• I like being close range because I like stabbing people with my stabbing knife. However the Heavy Xbow can be used at any range. It travels fast enough and with little drop that it matters not. Not compared to the Bow’s.

Really the best places to use Xbow’s is where you have cover you can quickly duck behind to reload, so you don’t have to rely on a pavise shield, so you can have extra ammo. Darkforest is full of places like that, as defender the first obejctive has the most.

• Mod

@Toll:

I like being close range because I like stabbing people with my stabbing knife. However the Heavy Xbow can be used at any range. It travels fast enough and with little drop that it matters not. Not compared to the Bow’s.

Really the best places to use Xbow’s is where you have cover you can quickly duck behind to reload, so you don’t have to rely on a pavise shield, so you can have extra ammo. Darkforest is full of places like that, as defender the first obejctive has the most.

The amount of times I get caught out trying to do a sneaky on the archers on that map and miss one hiding behind something that blasts me in the head :(

• It will also one-shot MAAs who think bumrushing a lonely archer will be easy.

CB doesn’t one-shot MAA unless it’s a headshot. HCB is a one-shot to the torso and head.

• @Toll:

I find no use in taking the Regular crossbow over the Heavy. The heavy easily 1 shots archers too, and the drop off is very little anyway, it’s trivial to hit a non-moving archer at a very long distance with the HXbow,RXbow or LXbow. The heavy also 1 shots MAA, and 1 shots vanguards in the head, and does lots of damage to a knight in the head.

The Light Xbow is a beast, you really should be fairly close to combat though for best effects.

Also Pfft Pavis shield, that is for the unaware. I’d rather the extra 11 shots for heavy Xbow. You just need to know where the enemy archers are and use the maps terrain to reload.

The ProTip about RMB insta-parry bind is more useful for the higher of ping, were shaving that 100ms off means the difference between a working parry and a late one. If you have a nice low ping, and the attackers do too, then having that RMB bind is a disadvantage.

I use it on attack when the enemy has good archers or archers that hide behind something it beats the reload of an HCB so you have the advantage there

Its speed is much faster than the HCB. As with its projectile drop being far less. Try it out and compare. Stand in a corner aim at some far off object that you have no chance of hitting and see how far it goes. Repeat with the HCB.

• If I’m going to take a crossbow to kill archers, I’m going to be stuck with the crappy crossbow reload, I may as well maximise the downtime of reloads by taking the heavy Xbow and be able to use it effectively against all the enemies.

If you are hunting archers specifically just go warbow, jav or DUEL WIELD ZWEIHANDER! (if only). Why gimp yourself with the regular Xbow just so you get slightly faster reload time, if you miss the enemy archer and he sees you, you can’t reload anyway, so a little extra speed is nothing. The HeavyXbow projectile speed is already fast enough, the extra bit of speed from the regular doesn’t really help much, you just lead your target a little less :/ In general people don’t dodge xbow bolts.

The LightXbow has a place, as it reloads much faster and allows for closer combat.

I feel the regular crossbow is about as useful as the Longbow, sure you ‘could’ use it but the other options are stronger for their reasons.

• Also I’m not so sure the regular xbow shoots a faster projectile, the spreadsheet says HeavyXbow bolt is faster…

• @Toll:

Also I’m not so sure the regular xbow shoots a faster projectile, the spreadsheet says HeavyXbow bolt is faster…

Keep in mind that it was lemonator who claimed that regular crossbow bolt is faster than heavy xbow bolt.

Lemonator also claimed that sabre stab is faster than shortsword stab.

• Try to actively aim for headshots with your melee weapons. Even if it is just one headshot, this can make all the difference in combat and will even reduce the hits-to-kill with most weapons against opponents.

• @Flippy:

CB doesn’t one-shot MAA unless it’s a headshot. HCB is a one-shot to the torso and head.

Actually, it does one-shot to the torso from point blank range. (I LOVE DOING THAT HEHEH)
    I’ve used the Heavy for some hundred hours and the light for another hundred. I stick with the regular Xbow because it actually is the better weapon. I kind of get the impression that the people arguing with me don’t actually use the crossbows much. Whatever.

• @BillDoor:

Actually, it does one-shot to the torso from point blank range.

Range does not affect projectile damage and crossbow does 96 damage to MAA torso. The crossbow is unable to oneshot healthy MAA to the torso.

• Sometimes you get ‘headshots’ that don’t pop up in the score section as a headshot. Perhaps you are confused with this phenomenon (since TB don’t fix bugs no point in calling them bugs ;P )

• @Toll:

Sometimes you get ‘headshots’ that don’t pop up in the score section as a headshot. Perhaps you are confused with this phenomenon (since TB don’t fix bugs no point in calling them bugs ;P )

He’s probably not confused; an MAA with kick damage on him will look like he’s at 100 health, but still only take 1 shot w/ the crossbow.

• @Flippy:

Protip: Fork is actually better than Greatsword.

I’d be interested to hear why a lot of NA players seem to think fork is so good. Perhaps someone would also like to make a video on it showing how effective it can be.

I’ve only tried the weapon once or twice and found it is useful as a support weapon, and good at interrupts etc, but I can’t see how it can be better than the greatsword. That weapon just has no disadvantages.

• @gndo:

I’d be interested to hear why a lot of NA players seem to think fork is so good. Perhaps someone would also like to make a video on it showing how effective it can be.

I’ve only tried the weapon once or twice and found it is useful as a support weapon, and good at interrupts etc, but I can’t see how it can be better than the greatsword. That weapon just has no disadvantages.

I think it’s best to just keep quiet about the Fork’s hidden potential as much as we can, before people find out how fast it really is.