Horde Sandcastle

• The last patch a few days back improved the Horde mode experience significantly, so I mention my map called Sandcastle here for some constructive feedback and suggestions. I liked the Horde mode idea but felt like there is a lot of room for development and this map was an attempt to make it more enjoyable. I’m not much of an artist though, so the visual side of the map might not meet the standards.

So the map Sandcastle takes the idea of Horde mode a little further by adding a fort-like structure for Masons which helps defending against the Agatha waves. Gates (4 in total) for instance serve as a protection until they are destroyed by the bots. In addition there are 2 types of burning pots, movable spikes, 2 types of ballistae, a fire trap and bombs which can be picked up.
    All of these are unlocked or improved upon by completing objectives (7 in total). They occur with a certain individual probability (depending on wavecount) during the match. Normally only up to 5 objectives appear in one match. The game ends when the endwave kicks in with a certain probability after wave 30.

On top of the normal weapon/ shield shop (payed with score) there are a number of buffs to purchase: health, speed, ‘vampirism’…

Score is gained by completing quests and killing enemies. The stronger the enemy the more score you gain.

A timer kicks in when only 5 bots remain. With each killed bot some more seconds are added. If the last bots are not killed in time, Agatha wins.

There are obviously lots of possible technical improvements or ideas which are barely feasible just yet. Just to name a few:

-bots should not flock together so much when chasing a player. A single turn will make them kill each other
    -MAA dodge with non-MAA weapon causes the player to freeze
    -customized horde weapons so the difference between cheap and expensive weapons becomes more obvious and diverse
    -higher diversity of enemies: fending off monsters (giant skeleton screams and fights like a peasant :/ )
    -bot archer aiming when enemy is close (when only 10m or so away the bot does not hit even when standing still)

The map can be found here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=289849044

Screens:

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhaQObrJ0c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oerThVVCceA

• Hey good job!

Horde mode meets towerdefence.^^

After contest i will look into horde maps :D

The last patch a few days back improved the Horde mode experience significantly,

What have they changed with regard to horde mode? I dont find something in the changelog.

• @KingJoff:

Hey good job!

Horde mode meets towerdefence.^^

After contest i will look into horde maps :D

What have they changed with regard to horde mode? I dont find something in the changelog.

Thank you!

I didn’t spot anything in the changelogs either but I noticed a few things:
    Botarcher projectiles are now visible and deal damage. So archer were totally useless before this patch came out.
    First person weapons are now visible. It was quite a drag to shoot with invisible bow while being a warrior. Now you can even use throwing spears as a knight :D

• Ah ok. very nice!
    You mean: now we could have spears throwing giant knights? omg :D