Chiv Server (VPS) hardware specs?

• Hi,

I was looking for some data on Chiv server hosting as I’m planning to hire a hosting service and I thought of a VPS kind of server because I’m a cheap fuck :worked_till_5am:

I’ve already found some answers (like these threads 1) to all the related questions but I wanted some further info to know what I should be getting.

• Server RAM? I read somewhere it was 200-300 mb dedicated for the Chiv, but is this accurate? Would 512 MB of RAM be enough?

• Tick rate? Some high tick 32/64 slot servers, seem to have over 200 tick rate. Would 128 work for me?
      [Btw, the datacenter also runs another Chiv server with 28/28 slots, and the server is set with a default tickrate of 30. Even though the response time is pretty low -through showdebug- it kinda lags]

• Is Windows absolutely necessary? I have very little networking experience and nil Linux skills so I’m not sure I could rune something on WINE that easily.

• Any additional specs regarding CPU would be great.

The server will be located in South America, btw.

• Chiv doesn’t give a shit about multiple cores. It gets off on high clock speed. So hunt for that.
    Especially with higher tickrate, it’s all about the core clock speed.
    RAM is indeed around 150-250 for a server.

I think there’s a WINE tutorial on this forum somewhere, but UDK itself is made for Windows only. Hence WINE is needed.

• Thanks for the info, Raizio.

I finally got a hosting and these are its specs, according to the launch log:
    [0000.18] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=8
    [0000.18] Init: High frequency timer resolution =3.410273 MHz
    [0000.18] Init: Memory total: Physical=23.9GB (24GB approx) Pagefile=71.8GB Virtual=4.0GB

I’ve been testing it out and so far it’s great, except for the TC Admin script they have in place which prevents me from launching custom configs (subconfigdir param) and custom content (sdkfile info).

I increased the default tickrate from 30.0 to 80.0. The CPU “optimization” flags are all enabled (src) though the server has only 12 slots.

In game, with 12 people (full server) my response time ranges from 4-8 ms. Even on big maps I didn’t see it go higher than 10.

Any other tips for optimization?

• I’m not sure I should increase the tickrate (some ppl had suggested 128 in other threads).
    • Can player latency be reduced? I ping around 50-60 on a full server at 7 PM, but later at night, even with a full server I get below 30 ms. It’s probably my shitty connection, but idk if the server can do something about it.

• As we use TCAdmin too, there are some tricks possible. Is it possible to actually type in a mapname for custom commandline?
    If so, remind me what the subconfig param is again, might be able to work around the system.

128 tickrate seems to be ridic smooth. Should be doable on 12 slots and that clock speed.

The latency, that is most likely the internet exchange or last hub of your ISP being slightly overloaded during peak hours.

• @Raizio:

As we use TCAdmin too, there are some tricks possible. Is it possible to actually type in a mapname for custom commandline?
    If so, remind me what the subconfig param is again, might be able to work around the system.

The subconfig param is -configsubdir=XXXX
    I found it to be specially useful for handling multiple server settings without so much trouble.

And that is correct. I can type in a mapname for a custom commandline.
    The script has a fixed prefix (AOCFFA-, AOCTD-, AOCLTS-, etc) and I can enter something like “Arena3_p”.

The problem is that they set the “default” portion of the commandline to the following
    ?steamsockets?maxplayers=12 -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=XX.XX.XX.XX -Port=7777 -QueryPort=7779
    and the above line is appended AT THE END of Arena3_p, which results in a crash when I try to add any extra parameters.

I spent a few hours yesterday trying different workarounds, like putting
    Arena3_p?sdkfile=XXX -configsubdir=YYY and different combinations, but it’s always some sort of bad syntax which results in a crash.
    Sometimes it does load slightly further (I see the script trying to download a package), but in the log it reads it’s trying to get “sdkfileid=XXXX?steamsockets?maxplayers=12” and after a while it goes down.

Any tricks would be appreciated.

EDit: Also, are there any syntax rules for the extended parameters? Like, should the param name be preceded by a dash (-), or can you also use multiple question marks?

For example, would this line work? AOCFFA-Arena3_p?steamsockets?blablabla -port=bla ?configusubdir=XXX
    Idk, I’ve tried so many things I’m not seeing straight atm.

• Some are - and some are ?
    Sadly configsubdir is a -

But seeing as it’s a VPS, I am not sure why you can’t just set your own commandline.

• I spoke with the host and they managed to set the commandline params to fit my needs.
    Thanks

• Sweet!

/10char

• Yeah the game doesn’t give a shit about multiple cores. Our servers have 24 core 2.93GHz CPUs. Uses 1 core and it doesn’t even use all of it. Uses about 5% of the whole CPU when full on 32 players. Servers have got 24GB of ram in them but it only uses maximum 300MB.

So our servers are perfect for hosting something like battlefield 4. Not chivalry lol.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah the game doesn’t give a shit about multiple cores. Our servers have 24 core 2.93GHz CPUs. Uses 1 core and it doesn’t even use all of it. Uses about 5% of the whole CPU when full on 32 players. Servers have got 24GB of ram in them but it only uses maximum 300MB.

So our servers are perfect for hosting something like battlefield 4. Not chivalry lol.

Majority of old engines, even source currently, have in general horrid server side multi thread support. (Read none)