No AA?

• Why is it that every game to come out recently doesn’t have any anti-aliasing, or has FXAA which is terrible?

Will you guys add AA later, or will I have to force it through drivers/nvidia inspector and will I need any specific compatibility bits?

• Developer

We don’t provide official support for this at the moment, but the game will do MSAA in DX11.

Add -DX11 to the command line, edit UDKSystemSettings.ini (in Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config) and change MaxMultiSamples to whatever you want it to be.

• Thanks!

Just another question concerning AA. Would you allow the use of SMAA/FXAA injectors like SweetFX in order to post process antialiasing on Chivalry ? They consist of a d3d9.dll that we must place next to the game’s EXE.

I know it’s VAC protected, and I don’t want to be banned for using third party antialiasing and post processing :D

BTW your game is just f**ing great! I love it so much!

• It’s quite sad that UE3 does not support AA by default. Instead of using injectors you can use your drivers to force AA. If that does not work and you have an nvidia card you can do it using nvidia inspector.

• Developer

@Jwam:

Thanks!

Just another question concerning AA. Would you allow the use of SMAA/FXAA injectors like SweetFX in order to post process antialiasing on Chivalry ? They consist of a d3d9.dll that we must place next to the game’s EXE.

I know it’s VAC protected, and I don’t want to be banned for using third party antialiasing and post processing :D

BTW your game is just f**ing great! I love it so much!

I’m honestly not entirely sure if VAC will catch that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it does since intercepting D3D calls is a normal way for wall hacks and whatnot to work.

@NeoRussia:

It’s quite sad that UE3 does not support AA by default. Instead of using injectors you can use your drivers to force AA. If that does not work and you have an nvidia card you can do it using nvidia inspector.

UE3 does support FXAA in DX9 (and we use it), and MSAA in DX11. At the moment we’re not officially supporting the DX11 renderer because we haven’t had sufficient time to test it, but it’ll work.

• OK CrustaceanSoup, thank you very much for your answers.

By the way, the only way for me to have FXAA at the moment with DX9 is by checking “Depth of Field”, which also seems to add some color correction.

All the post process effects may be enabled by the DoF checkbox.

BTW I may be wrong, as I’m not expert with all this stuff.

• @CrustaceanSoup:

We don’t provide official support for this at the moment, but the game will do MSAA in DX11.

Add -DX11 to the command line, edit UDKSystemSettings.ini (in Documents\My Games\Chivalry Medieval Warfare\UDKGame\Config) and change MaxMultiSamples to whatever you want it to be.

Oh, cool. Thank ye

• What would one set the MaxMultiSamples= to?

• Developer

A power of 2 would be a good bet. 1 (disabled), 2, 4, 8, or 16

• Cheers.

• I too absolutely loathe jaggies, so tried the solution mentioned here with samples set to 2. It brought my framerate crashing down to 30fps (running max detail, 1080p). This is on a high end rig running an i7 3770 @ 4.5GHz with dual GTX 670s, but the lack of SLI support probably doesn’t help either. Can’t wait for you guys to get MSAA and SLI working officially, in the meantime I’ll deal with the aliasing.

• Has this been known to cause screen flickering on the weapon select? It works fine, except when I mouse over the weapon I want to select it flickers the box all weird.

• Developer

I tested without noticing that, but this is part of the reason we’re not supporting the DX11 renderer right now. We don’t have the resources to test and support it in addition to the DX9 renderer.

• @Chuckdatass:

Has this been known to cause screen flickering on the weapon select? It works fine, except when I mouse over the weapon I want to select it flickers the box all weird.

Also had this. And the drop in frame rate was horrendous, so ill stick with DX9