How does ping affect feints?

• I hear it a lot. “I can’t read feints cus of your ping,” or “I can’t read feints cus of my ping.” I play with a ping of 86 on average (84-88 most of the time) and to me, stab feints from swords are disgustingly unreadable. I don’t know if this is because of my ping, or if they’re supposed to be that way. I don’t know because I’ve never played with a ping below 60 in this game, and it’s very rare that I would get a ping that low.

So, does ping actually affect feints / feint reading, or is it just another excuse that people like to use? If it’s the former, that would actually explain why I struggle so much with reading feints and then there’s all these 20-40 ping elitists telling me to “git gud”.

• 0-20 ping, 144hz and 144fps + high fov & average reaction time below 150ms is all you need to react to feints, its not much

• How can you play this game with 80-90 ping? CMW is too inconsistent with such bad connection, you need at least 40-60 ping or godlike 20 ping like Sophaxjoe best knight in Europe.

• I didn’t think it would matter that much. It’s just a few milliseconds we’re talking about, right? I also don’t understand what’s going on with my connection because I used to have 30 ms in most games and now it’s always 70+ (not just in CMW). Even on servers hosted in my country, I get 72 ping. Should be more like 30 or 40.

• well shit ive never scrimmed with ping lower than 70 and i do fine in melee

i just dont read feints haha

you do need high fps though at least above 50

this is the main reason i play archer, not cuz of my good aim but cuz of my bad lag

• I play all on low so my FPS is almost always 120, especially on duel servers and scrims since there aren’t that many players lagging everything up. I still can’t play on servers with 32 players or more without my FPS dropping to 40 though. Sucks. :/

• I always have to play with fps between 25-40 so thats my bottleneck. I’m glad I’ve got good pings most of the time though, I think with more than 60ms the game can become a bitch

• @zombojoe:

ive never scrimmed with ping lower than 70 and i do fine in melee

i just dont read feints haha

that doesnt make sense

• Mod

I average 80+ ping. I don’t bother with feints. Hell, I avoid parrying. With high ping parry’s are inconsistent as shit, especially against fast weapons. Best thing for me is don’t mimic low pingers and use evasive maneuvers to avoid swings and parry as little as possible.

• Client sided hitdetection is fun as well. So feints from people with more than 100ping is blergh, at least when you yourself got 70-80 ping.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

that doesnt make sense

what can i say people are tempted to hit trade my 120 ping maul

fighting MAA is almost impossible for me without being at a massive disadvantage, i can only really kill bad MAAs like jimmytryharder

i get the feeling most comp players in NA dont think at all when they fight

• Mod

@Xylvion:

Client sided hitdetection is fun as well. So feints from people with more than 100ping is blergh, at least when you yourself got 70-80 ping.

I don’t ever feint, but people still get mad at me if I ever use claymore against them and I have 100 ping.

• @Tyoson:

I don’t ever feint, but people still get mad at me if I ever use claymore against them and I have 100 ping.

with good reason, on their screen it can seem like the claymore has no windup at all

whenever i have the pleasure of playing on west coast servers i am always surprised at how easy it is to read feints and drags with reasonable ping

• Surely there must be some solution to all these problems caused by 80+ ping. Doesn’t seem fair that only people who live directly next to the server host are able to play this game like it’s meant to be played, and high ping players (not that 80 or 90 is really that high, to be honest) are left with a game that only “kind of works”.

• thats just how it works in all ping dependent comp games

the only thing chivalry could do is switch to the server side tracer model to reduce the latency between clients

• 80 ping is high in any but turn-based game.

• Mod

@zombojoe:

with good reason, on their screen it can seem like the claymore has no windup at all

whenever i have the pleasure of playing on west coast servers i am always surprised at how easy it is to read feints and drags with reasonable ping

It’s the same for me fighting against people who use claymore too though, greatsword lookdowns, norseswords, broadswords etc etc. Not much I can do though because Australian internet sucks dick.

• @Monsteri:

80 ping is high in any but turn-based game.

TBS should start hosting servers a little closer to home, if that’s the case.

• @Jon:

TBS should start hosting servers a little closer to home, if that’s the case.

A few servers in Finland wouldn’t hurt, replace some of the 9001 low rank servers with them.

• @Monsteri:

A few servers in Finland wouldn’t hurt, replace some of the 9001 low rank servers with them.

Multiplay doesn’t provide servers in Finland iirc. Also Finland is balls.