Game uses 100% of modern GPU on lowest settings

• EDIT: solution at bottom of this post

I purchased the Steam version of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare a few days ago.
    Unfortunately it is not playable due to the game dropping to 2 fps for 10 seconds at seemingly random moments.
    On top of that, my default fps in combat is around 20.

The problem lies not with connection issues as it is exactly the same in the training map, and my internet connection is decently fast (20 Mb/s) and stable.
    The problem lies not with my CPU or RAM as they both have a usage of at most 20% and 4 GB (out of 12), respectively, while (only) the game is running.

I am certain the culprit is the GPU department. Using GPUz, I monitored the load of my GPU while (only) the game was running. In the launcher the load is 1%, while in the starting menu it is 40% (with an fps of 60) already. Starting any game brings this up to 95% (30 fps), where it then creeps up to 99% (18 fps) after which the load is 100% (2 fps) for around 10 seconds.

I have a Lenovo W520 laptop with Windows 7.
    My GPU is an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, with a memory size of 2 GB, a band with of 28.8 GB/s, a clock of 700 MHz, memory clock of 900 MHz and a shader clock of 1400 MHz.

Looking at the miminum requirements for this game, as well as various websites that indicate which GPU’s are fit for this game, my GPU should have no problems with this game.

I have already tried all suggestions at [http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here](http://I purchased the Steam version of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare a few days ago. Unfortunately it is not playable due to the game dropping to 2 fps for 10 seconds at seemingly random moments. On top of that, my default fps in combat is around 20.The problem lies not with connection issues as it is exactly the same in the training map, and my internet connection is decently fast (20 Mb/s) and stable. The problem lies not with my CPU or RAM as they both have a usage of at most 20% and 4 GB (out of 12), respectively, while (only) the game is running.I am certain the culprit is the GPU department. Using GPUz, I monitored the load of my GPU while (only) the game was running. In the launcher the load is 1%, while in the starting menu it is 40% (with an fps of 60) already. Starting any game brings this up to 95% (30 fps), where it then creeps up to 99% (18 fps) after which the load is 100% (2 fps) for around 10 seconds.I have a Lenovo W520 laptop with Windows 7. My GPU is an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, with a memory size of 2 GB, a band with of 28.8 GB/s, a clock of 700 MHz, memory clock of 900 MHz and a shader clock of 1400 MHz.Looking at the miminum requirements for this game, as well as various websites that indicate which GPU’s are fit for this game, my GPU should have no problems with this game.I have already tried all suggestions at [url)!) in the Graphics section. I set all graphics settings to the absolute lowest possible, and disabled vsync. Running the game in 64 bit or 32 bit mode shows no difference. I installed the latest drivers for my GPU and I am in fact certain the game runs using this GPU as GPUz indicates on which GPU the measurements are done (indeed the NVIDIA Quadro 1000M).Any suggestions that are not in http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here!)?"]http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here!) in the Graphics section. I set all graphics settings to the absolute lowest possible, and disabled vsync. Running the game in 64 bit or 32 bit mode shows no difference.
    I installed the latest drivers for my GPU and I am in fact certain the game runs using this GPU as GPUz indicates on which GPU the measurements are done (indeed the NVIDIA Quadro 1000M).

Any suggestions that are not in [http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here](http://I purchased the Steam version of Chivalry: Medieval Warfare a few days ago. Unfortunately it is not playable due to the game dropping to 2 fps for 10 seconds at seemingly random moments. On top of that, my default fps in combat is around 20.The problem lies not with connection issues as it is exactly the same in the training map, and my internet connection is decently fast (20 Mb/s) and stable. The problem lies not with my CPU or RAM as they both have a usage of at most 20% and 4 GB (out of 12), respectively, while (only) the game is running.I am certain the culprit is the GPU department. Using GPUz, I monitored the load of my GPU while (only) the game was running. In the launcher the load is 1%, while in the starting menu it is 40% (with an fps of 60) already. Starting any game brings this up to 95% (30 fps), where it then creeps up to 99% (18 fps) after which the load is 100% (2 fps) for around 10 seconds.I have a Lenovo W520 laptop with Windows 7. My GPU is an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, with a memory size of 2 GB, a band with of 28.8 GB/s, a clock of 700 MHz, memory clock of 900 MHz and a shader clock of 1400 MHz.Looking at the miminum requirements for this game, as well as various websites that indicate which GPU’s are fit for this game, my GPU should have no problems with this game.I have already tried all suggestions at [url)!) in the Graphics section. I set all graphics settings to the absolute lowest possible, and disabled vsync. Running the game in 64 bit or 32 bit mode shows no difference. I installed the latest drivers for my GPU and I am in fact certain the game runs using this GPU as GPUz indicates on which GPU the measurements are done (indeed the NVIDIA Quadro 1000M).Any suggestions that are not in http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here!)?"]http://forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/12344-Giant-Solution-List-(Need-help-Find-your-solution-here!)?

Solution: Right, so it turned out my GPU was overheating which caused it to perform poorly.
    After my GPU consistently reached a whopping 80 degrees Celcius while only streaming I decided to check out the cooling system. Removing a respectable amount of dust from it made this game run smoothly.

• To my knowledge, Quadros are workstation GPUs and not suitable for gaming, but rather for image rendering and other intense tasks.

That might explain your terrible FPS. How is your performance in other games?

• @elwebbaro:

How is your performance in other games?

Acceptable.

I can play Team Fortress 2 with medium settings at a steady 30 fps.
    With Loadout on medium settings I rarely get a short freeze (when I’m bombarded by dozens of explosions at once), but overall the fps is steady and decent.
    Mount & Blade: Warband is no problem at all either.

• Quadros are workstation GPUs and not suitable for gaming

Mostly this is the main issue. Second of this is that the drivers for said GPU is also -not- designed for gaming. So results will vary depending on the instruction sets the developers provide support for inside the coding. Typically no dev’s will include workstation-grade programming for their games unless they set them up to be used themselves. And chances are TB does not use workstation GPU’s.

The best suggestion I can make is get another laptop, because there’s not any quick fixes at the driver level that I’m aware of. I’ve seen a lot of posts by people with similar GPU’s for other games (Portal 2, Crysis 2, Battlefield 4, etc.) who have the exact same problem with FPS drops and there’s nothing that can be done really, because the drivers just aren’t designed for it.

• Thank you for these remarks.
    I suppose I will let this game ripe in my Steam library until I get a new laptop in a year or two.

• Having only 96 shader units, in terms of raw power that GPU is probably slightly under the minimum recommended hardware configuration.

• The symotoms sound a bit like something I had. The issue was the mobo power saving feature kicking in ti drop the fps, fir some reason not registering that the machine needed the power… mught be worth an investigate…

• Mod

Gaming laptops just aren’t worth the money. You’re better off investing in a desktop PC for gaming to be honest.

• @Jeroenvw:

Acceptable.

I can play Team Fortress 2 with medium settings at a steady 30 fps.
    With Loadout on medium settings I rarely get a short freeze (when I’m bombarded by dozens of explosions at once), but overall the fps is steady and decent.
    Mount & Blade: Warband is no problem at all either.

if you cant max tf2 your pc is worse than a console

• Workstation graphics often look spectacular but they really aren’t and have shortfalls which can render them almost useless.

• lol Quadro 2000M has a passmark score of 1063.

A R7 250 at $69 AUD scores 1396.
    A R9 270x at $250AUD scores 4516.

So a really cheap GPU scores better than your laptop.
    Your GPU is the first problem.

The second problem is you have a laptop for gaming. You could have swapped out that video card and put in a r9270 and be stomping happily with your current CPU. Instead, 80% of your CPU is wasted never to be used because the GPU was never, ever going to keep up.

HOWEVER, you son are lucky (or maybe you thought about it?) the Lenovo W520 has DisplayPort, you can plug in an external video card (basically any video card for desktops) and have your laptop use that instead. You dodged a bullet there. Go research how to do it.

• Oh wow thats really cool ^ I didnt know you could do that.

• Mod

@Toll:

lol Quadro 2000M has a passmark score of 1063.

A R7 250 at $69 AUD scores 1396.
    A R9 270x at $250AUD scores 4516.

So a really cheap GPU scores better than your laptop.
    Your GPU is the first problem.

The second problem is you have a laptop for gaming. You could have swapped out that video card and put in a r9270 and be stomping happily with your current CPU. Instead, 80% of your CPU is wasted never to be used because the GPU was never, ever going to keep up.

HOWEVER, you son are lucky (or maybe you thought about it?) the Lenovo W520 has DisplayPort, you can plug in an external video card (basically any video card for desktops) and have your laptop use that instead. You dodged a bullet there. Go research how to do it.

I never knew laptops could do that :O Is it possible to do it for laptops like the Alienware M14x?

• As unusual as it might seem I just stuck a GeForce gtx580 overclocked version in my 32bit xp tv box.
    I started Chivalry and got the run out of video memory diaglog box hehe. In one of my previous
    posts I did ask if TB are considerate of the end users resources and free up memory in between
    maps?. ps I will swop out the cpu to a very high end later and see if that makes a difference.

• So I was a little inaccurate.

You require a Thunderbolt port, which is pci-e + displayport. I’m not sure if the lenovo w520 has it the w540 does… Which means MAC btw.

Oh and its only max pci-e x4 so may not beat out your internal video card. But it can be done on some laptops.

In the end, get a desktop if you are a PC gamer.

• @Tyoson:

Gaming laptops just aren’t worth the money. You’re better off investing in a desktop PC for gaming to be honest.

Not always an option for people who travel often, I dream of the day I can buy a desktop which will be worthwhile :~(

Currently using a Lenovo Y500 Ideapad which runs most games on medium to high. If your current laptop seems like it wont work out and you’re looking for a new laptop I would recommend this one (or whatever upgraded version they have of it now) because so far it’s lasted me a year with no problems so far. It can run Chiv on high for most maps with 40+ fps, or on low for 90fps on all maps (sans the start of the coldfront map (those constant catapults and AI running in doing nothing sure are worth it!) which gets 30 - 50fps).

• I stuck that video card in a windows 8 pc and game runs nicely nps. 8.1 blue 64bit. W8 is a lot better then
    people think for gaming tbh.

• Quadro 1000 is weak. /Thread
    2 Asus G73JH were sold this week for 300€ / piece on eBay.de
    There will probably be more of them ;)

• pretty much any pc can run team fortress or other source games, source is made for that. laptops are mostly just bad for gaming, either specwise or heat management, they’ll never be as good as a gaming desktop. Id get one of those in the future.

• Next time before even thinking about buying a game without having done any good research of your Hardware performance use sites like these:
    http://www.game-debate.com/

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/
    http://cpubenchmark.net/
    http://gpuboss.com/
    http://cpuboss.com/

And not a simple site like Can I run it, Kids/elders these days don’t even try hard to research anything especially not for running a game on ma rig. Google WHY!?

Oh and don’t even thinking about comparing TF2 to other games that are a lot newer.

-,-, and tell to you’re friends who want to play games like chivalry to go to those sites too…

Thank you!

Greetings from Demonspree!