Regular crossbow underated?

• So bearing in mind, I main knight, and have mostly just been doing archer for a few days to get the achievements, I was wondering why people seem to prefer the lcb, and even the hcb over the regular crossbow.

I know that lcb is faster to reload, but I like the higher damage of the regular crossbow, you can 1hit archer to torso, lcb needs a headshot for this. Also I found myself getting more kills with the regular, shooting anything except knight in the torso usually resulted in a kill if they had lost even a tiny bit of health. The reload on the regular crossbow isn’t that much slower than the lcb either.

Am I missing something? The hcb is just too slow reloading for me.

• It’s not all about the stats. It’s as viable as lcb or hcb but there’s no one like me making it popular.

• Mod

@J-P:

It’s not all about the stats. It’s as viable as lcb or hcb but there’s no one like me making it popular.

I was thinking this. People just follow trends on games. “Oh that guy is doing well with that weapon, it must be really good” Copies

• I don’t see many hcb users either, strange because it seems fine to me as well. I think it has the highest range of all 3 crossbows (although that might be just a bug).

But it depends on your playstyle, if you can call Archer a playstyle. Light Crossbow is great for taking chunks of health away from a horde of enemies approaching before they even reach your frontlines, where your melee-oriented teammates can take them out.
    Heavy Crossbow doesn’t feel convenient for me to use for that purpose, I prefer to reload it whenever I’m safe and just shoot it at the most threatening enemy. Then I switch to melee to help my teammates out and don’t reload until all enemies are dead.

I suppose the Regular Crossbow is somewhat of an inbetween, but the only reason I play it is for the high range.

• @Tyoson:

I was thinking this. People just follow trends on games. “Oh that guy is doing well with that weapon, it must be really good” Copies

It’s a proud moment where people start copying your sling setup expecting an immediate success.

• Ah, I don’t care so much for range, I prefer being up close with some melee team mates.

• I like it. Packs more of a punch, one shots archers, faster projectile speed and longer ranged than the HCB (though I’m pretty sure this is a bug).

• Alright, going slightly offtopic in my own thread, but what are your opinions on the warbow? In my limited experience as archer I think it’s my favourite weapon. I tend to naturally have more awareness when using this as I seem to naturally check around me for enemies when drawing it, whereas with crossbows I tend to forget to do this when I bring it up to aim. My fault I’m sure. I also seem to have better footwork for archer duels, and just flatout have better aim with warbow than the crossbows.

Everyone tends to love crossbows over warbow these days though. Just more trend following or are there good reasons?

• Mod

@Rickvs:

It’s a proud moment where people start copying your sling setup expecting an immediate success.

People do this with sling and flail sometimes. I actually get really excited and compliment them on their good choices :P

• @gndo:

Alright, going slightly offtopic in my own thread, but what are your opinions on the warbow? In my limited experience as archer I think it’s my favourite weapon. I tend to naturally have more awareness when using this as I seem to naturally check around me for enemies when drawing it, whereas with crossbows I tend to forget to do this when I bring it up to aim. My fault I’m sure. I also seem to have better footwork for archer duels, and just flatout have better aim with warbow than the crossbows.

Everyone tends to love crossbows over warbow these days though. Just more trend following or are there good reasons?

In terms of bows, I actually do prefer the first one.
    Longbow is my absolute favorite out of both every bow and every crossbow, although I can’t really tell for sure why.
    I like having a somewhat mobile bow on my back that doesn’t look like a giant tree root as the Warbow does. I also can’t stand the slow draw time on the Warbow, I expect something faster when I pick a bow over a crossbow.

Our clanleader actually never uses anything but Warbow+Broadheads in scrims. It’s a good option in a coordinated team, but in pubmatches I usually find myself drawing the bow, see my target move/be killed/pushed over a ledge whatever and then I have some limited time to find another target before the bow “undraws”. Not really helpful. Though Warbow is perfect if you tell your teammate in teamspeak or whatever to kick his opponent so that you can easily shoot him down.

Overall I prefer crossbows over bows because, as much as I prefer the aesthetics of a bow, I find it situationally better to be able to reload/charge whenever you wish. Usually after killing an enemy.
    With bows you’re forced to draw/charge beforehand, and Warbow obviously takes the longest. I can’t draw a Warbow in a safe spot and release it somewhere else; I’m forced to fire it or redraw later.

In short: I find the Warbow a worse option than the Heavy or Regular Crossbow because it’s a lot less mobile.
    Shouldn’t make much of a difference to the kind of players who prefer to camp on a hill to snipe people down or whatever.
    I do find Warbow the best/most effective of bows, though.

• ^ I can’t say I have had those issues with warbow, fairly easy to position yourself near some cover and still be close enough to the action. If not you can at least be a bit more mobile, most pub archers find it difficult to hit you if you are moving randomly. As for the long draw, I use it to check around me for enemies first, then usually find I have enough time to pick a target before it “undraws”. That said I do sometimes draw the bow earlier to compensate for the longer draw time.

• Regular xbow best xbow for a close-in melee archer playstyle while giving you range to kill those annoying archers. One bolt and one stab. Next.

• I stuck with LCB for the longest time specifically because its faster reload gave me better opportunity to pick off wounded enemies in a crowd at shorter range. I also liked being able to turn a 180 and use pavise to block incoming projectiles.

I find myself mostly using the warbow now for the same reason as mentioned above, but I prefer to stay close to the fight as opposed to perching and sniping, so I need to be able to move and draw.

I think Bill puts it best regarding regular xbow. It’s great for 1 good shot to soften em up, then finish off with your melee.

• regular xbow is good vs archers because it has the longest range in the game

• I feel like the regular crossbow just barely reloads faster than the heavy crossbow, but it’s not under rated by any means. I see a lot of all the crossbows, but I feel like it is out classed by the other two slightly simply because it’s only slightly faster reload for a lot worse damage/range drop than the heavy.

• Due to this thread I switched from light to regular xbow and it seems to suit me better - more kills versus assists and the load time while a little more dangerous to be counter arched still was good enough.

• when it comes to crossbows I either use LCB or MCB depending on the situation. if the opponents archers are shit I got with the LCB, otherwise the MCB. HCB is just a fucking sniper but takes forever to reload.

• @BillDoor:

Regular xbow best xbow for a close-in melee archer playstyle while giving you range to kill those annoying archers. One bolt and one stab. Next.

1 bolt is enough to kill an archer with regular crossbow, unless you hit them in the legs. No need for a stab.

• @gndo:

1 bolt is enough to kill an archer with regular crossbow, unless you hit them in the legs. No need for a stab.

That’s exactly what he said.

• @lemonater47:

That’s exactly what he said.

Since when was “One bolt and one stab” just “one bolt”?