Balance Patch: Coldfront Optimizations + Coldfront Balance changes.

• There were improvements to Coldfront that should aid mid-low end systems.

Optimization + Fixes:
    Reduced Pawn Count on Beach Invasion. Bots no longer respawn after dying on the first run.
    Removed Wounded Soldiers.
    Added Visual Occluders on Beach Invasion to further break up the view.
    More Aggressive Cull Distance Volumes.
    Added Platform to Catapult to prevent sinking into the Landscape on exit.

Balance:
    Increased Respawn time from 300 to 600 seconds on Siege Weapons.
    Increased Health on Drawbridge from 20000 to 30000
    Reduced amount of Balista on top tower to 1.

Please keep all posts constructive. Be specific.

If you are having performance Issues:

-Post your system specs (DXDiag: If you do not know how to get your DXDiag, press Start button, type DXDiag in search bar and open up the program it shows. Click run then save results as .txt file and add it to your post.)
    -Use the console Comands: stat unit and stat fps

-When is it happening?
    -Is it in specific places?
    -Is a specific event triggering it? (Objective complete, Player death, and so on)

If you are having crashes:

DXDiag: If you do not know how to get your DXDiag, press Start button, type DXDiag in search bar and open up the program it shows. Click run then save results as .txt file and add it to your post.

Launch Log: To find your launch file, go to My Documents then to My Games then to Chivalry then UDKGame then go to Log folder. You’ll find your launch.log file and add it to your post. Post the dmp file from here as well.

Same steps as performance issues beyond that:
    -When is it happening?
    -Is it in specific places?
    -Is a specific event triggering it? (Objective complete, Player death, and so on)

Keep balance discussion focused, and divided by stage:
    1-Beach Invasion
    2-Siege
    3-King Escape

• 1-Beach Invasion

1.1 ^ This thing shouldn’t exist. It basically gives defending team an opportunity to start shooting ballistas/bows/xbows right away. From Mason perspective: you’ve just spawned and Agathian team is already shooting projectiles at you, even though you’re not even halfway through to the objective. I know that spawn is moved back once you breach the line but it still sucks because you end up looking like a hedgehog with all dem arrows.

Lets compare it to Citadel 1st objective, imagine if Mason team could spawn directly on the wall. That’d suck wouldn’t it? It’s even worse on Coldfront because it’s much easier to hit someone with ballista/ranged weapon (tho distance is smaller)

1.2 ^ Reduce ballista per point from 2 to 1.
    Simply, people hate to be killed with ranged weapons. It’s much harder to kill someone with ballista due to range and drop on Citadel. I’m mentioning this because there are TWO balistats on Citadel wall yet FOUR on Coldfront points. It’s much easier to shoot someone with Coldfront’s balistas because:
    a) you don’t have to worry about the projectile “drop” that much, it’s mostly point & click like xbows on medium range.
    b) there is much less space for attacking team unless they pick long routes on the left or right.

gonna do part 2 & 3 later cuz im hungry

• Okay, focused discussing:

FPS is fine for me, I have my graphics turned on super low, and I have dynamic lights and shadows turned off.

As for balance, like I said, it’s mainly because the objectives are relatively very much more complicated; Agatha doesn’t know what to do. I suppose giving the door more health could help, but I have seen Masons win by capturing the tower, too.
    One idea I had a while ago was to have both objectives necessary to complete, as in the door must be broken and a metal grate door behind it must be lowered.

The second objective is difficult to play because you don’t really know where your teammates are, you may think they are defending the the tower, but they could actually all be attacking the ballistae. I think there are too many ways to be attacked to defend against them all, having both objectives be obligatory would allow the team to focus on one instead of two.

• @Rumpelstiltskin

Random rebuttal: You cannot say that that objective is stacked for Agatha. Sure it sucks to be killed by ballistae, but it’s actually very easy to hide behind things. Too bad people see to love rushing ahead in a strait line.

Also, we’re supposed to be arguing to make this map harder for Masons, not easier.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

1-Beach Invasion

1.1 ^ This thing shouldn’t exist. It basically gives defending team an opportunity to start shooting ballistas/bows/xbows right away. From Mason perspective: you’ve just spawned and Agathian team is already shooting projectiles at you, even though you’re not even halfway through to the objective. I know that spawn is moved back once you breach the line but it still sucks because you end up looking like a hedgehog with all dem arrows.

Lets compare it to Citadel 1st objective, imagine if Mason team could spawn directly on the wall. That’d suck wouldn’t it? It’s even worse on Coldfront because it’s much easier to hit someone with ballista/ranged weapon (tho distance is smaller)

1.2 ^ Reduce ballista per point from 2 to 1.
    Simply, people hate to be killed with ranged weapons. It’s much harder to kill someone with ballista due to range and drop on Citadel. I’m mentioning this because there are TWO balistats on Citadel wall yet FOUR on Coldfront points. It’s much easier to shoot someone with Coldfront’s balistas because:
    a) you don’t have to worry about the projectile “drop” that much, it’s mostly point & click like xbows on medium range.
    b) there is much less space for attacking team unless they pick long routes on the left or right.

gonna do part 2 & 3 later cuz im hungry

I disagree with both of these points.

I love 1.1 because defense really needs the time to set up shop and be prepared for the first wave. It also provides a small incentive to move out and try to hold that line defense as long as you can, which actually works in some cases. In any case, defense needs all the help they can get and this is pretty necessary. Remember, this map is built for pub play, not team battle play.

I think 1.2 is also really important to keep the four ballistae because, like I said earlier, defense needs all the help they can get. There’s more than enough cover/routes to take that give you plenty of cover from the ballistae, and while I agree that I hate them in Citadel, I only hate them in Citadel because defense already has a massive advantage. Cold Front doesn’t have that luxury. These ballistae are actually very open to archer fire as well.

Again, pub perspective. Not a team battle perspective. I don’t think this map should ever be balanced around team battles nor considered for clan play.

• @Skindiacus:

Random rebuttal: You cannot say that that objective is stacked for Agatha. Sure it sucks to be killed by ballistae, but it’s actually very easy to hide behind things. Too bad people see to love rushing ahead in a strait line.

There is nothing really to hide behind because projectiles go through cracks in the wooden barricades, so you have to zigzag and pray that nothing hits ya or take a long route.

@Skindiacus:

Also, we’re supposed to be arguing to make this map harder for Masons, not easier.

I thought we are arguing to make this map more enjoyable. Sure, this would make it a bit easier for mason but we could always adjust objective timer accordingly (in favour of defending team)

• @SOC:

I disagree with both of these points.

I love 1.1 because defense really needs the time to set up shop and be prepared for the first wave. It also provides a small incentive to move out and try to hold that line defense as long as you can, which actually works in some cases. In any case, defense needs all the help they can get and this is pretty necessary. Remember, this map is built for pub play, not team battle play.

I understand some people might like this but I’d rather have Coldfront as any other TO map - without instant spawn on the objective. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

@SOC:

think 1.2 is also really important to keep the four ballistae because, like I said earlier, defense needs all the help they can get. There’s more than enough cover/routes to take that give you plenty of cover from the ballistae, and while I agree that I hate them in Citadel, I only hate them in Citadel because defense already has a massive advantage. Cold Front doesn’t have that luxury. These ballistae are actually very open to archer fire as well.

Gonna copy my other response:
    Sure, this would make it a bit easier for mason but we could always adjust objective timer accordingly (in favour of defending team)

@SOC:

Again, pub perspective. Not a team battle perspective. I don’t think this map should ever be balanced around team battles nor considered for clan play.

You’re not a typical pub player though. For most average players this map seems complicated, they are not aware of 5min cooldown for breaking ballistas/catapults for example. When you’re playing for Agatha your goal is simple: if there isn’t a big pressure on capturing the wall then take down every ballista/catapult and come back to defend gate/wall.
    I know why you like this map but average rookie player gets confused as hell because of the amount of things he has to defend.

Importance of destroying war machines should be made more clear for agathian players and I’m gonna address later on.

1. This is the only balaned objective lol, but even though the Omaha Beach vibe is cool at first it’s zero fun getting all shot up by ballistas and teams also get fairly split up, need more covers and defined routes. Less walking overall would be kewl too, I think you level designers are way too worried with giving players big areas to fight in, and as a result the walking times are incredibly goddamn long in every map.

Some closed space is alright especially near spawns, most of the action will happen near the objectives themselves anyway. I think most of the levels encourage splitting up too much, it’s way cooler when your whole team is there to fight, for an example the fights in Darkforest 2nd stage tunnel are one of the most intense and fun ones, I think you should have more of those overall. Well this rant went a bit off-topic perhaps, but anyway. For the future and whatnot.

1. This objective is funny, the faster Masons push the more time the king will have to escape and this objective is inevitable anyway, so Agatha has no real incentive to defend here. Once people figure that out, majority of Agathians will go afk or just screw around with the ballistas.

The different pushing options are kewl, however I think the teams shouldn’t get so spread out again for the Masons. This can be avoided ofc if all of the Masons decide to focus on one objective, but that is an unlikely achievement in public play. I’d remove some of the paths and also add slightly more cover from archers and ballistas again, make the paths more defined etc.

Backdooring in Chivalry usually has little use, in fps games it’s different when you can attack from range and quickly kill enemies, but in Chivalry unless you’re a HCB archer you’ll have to walk up to them to actually kill them. The objectives can’t be backdoored either, because the crank takes a long time to complete and people will notice you. Unless it’s something like killing peasants which can be achieved quickly, there really is no use for backdooring options and they only serve to unnecessarily spread out the teams.

Killing the gate is somewhat grindy in my opinion and it’s almost always the better option to push the siege tower instead. I’d replace the pushable ballistas with another Petard (make the capturable shore buildings some sort of warehouses so it’d make sense) which you have to push up to the gate to blow it up, this path would be way more exposed to the ballistas though and pushers would soon get shot up.

Next make the crank faster to complete, but move Agatha spawns really close to the crank, perhaps extend the crank tower and add some sort of quarters in there for Agatha to spawn.

Now Mason has three, clearly defined paths and options for each:1) Scale the walls with 2 ladders (fastest option to win the obj. but also hardest)
    –> Turn the crank amidst a bloody, intense battle
    –> Destroy the ballistas so that Petard can push

1. Push the Petard (medium speed to win obj)
      –> Easy target for Ballistas, dangerous, pushing all the way needs using the other options

2. Push the Siege Tower (slowest)
      –> Give Mason a new spawn closer to the Tower upon push completion
      –> Turn the crank, now easier than via ladders due to closer spawn
      –> Destroy the ballistas so that Petard can push (if someone has been pushing it until now, viable option)

The strategy with the objectives would be much more obvious, defined and impactful this way imo. I might draw a layout sketch on a later date to better explain what exactly I’m after.

You need a solution for the timer issue btw.

1. Escape to the ship is a fun idea, but at the moment if the King’s team dies on the way to the ship he is pretty much doomed. I think you should change up the routes completely and add dynamic spawns along the way. Perhaps the King could progress inside the castle to the extraction point instead. Outside he has little cover and there are also little options for spawns that make sense. I suppose you could simply move the ship closer too, it’d work alright. There’s more potential though. Also give the king a shield, he’s far too easily shot up by archers right now.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the map needs a new art pass, it looks disgustingly dull.

• @Monsteri:

EDIT: Oh yeah and the map needs a new art pass, it looks disgustingly dull.

Harsh much? lol

• The first objective is fine.

It was the second and third ones that weren’t. They have improved the second objective.

The fact that the agathains initially spawn on the objective is a good thing. Spawns get pushed back pretty soon anyway

• 1-Beach Invasion
    I think this objective was overall pretty balanced. It’s pretty easy to both attack and defend doing 1 side at a time in my opinion, sure you get ballista’d sometimes, but i’ve never had a game where they completely hold off the push. There’s enough visual block from the terrain at first to not get compeltely wiped by archers, and you can def get in there with some good people, clear out a side and hold it while more people come. The defender spawns are far enough to not regroup on the point instantly.

At the same time, defending isn’t that bad using the ballista, having some archers pepper, and then having some knighs and vanguards hold the huts. They can also use the cata’s to hit through the roof and clear them out if they have good enough aim/timing. I overall didn’t have too much issue with the balance of the first objective.

2-Siege
    This is a tricky one. The issue i have is with the respawn times of the seige weapons increasing from 5 min to 10 min. It could take damn near the whole attack time to respawn them. For attack, the cata is pretty important to take out the defenders ballista (i can personally take all of them out. I would actually reduce the spawn time of the ballistae on the wall for defenders, and keep the cata the same. It’s not very hard for a defender to run up and get some hits on the cata, and then all of a sudden it’s useless for 10 minutes, then the defenders have free reign to blast like 4-5 ballista’s at you. If that was the case… it would also be easy to run up and destroy the ATTACKER ballistae that you had to move up onto those hills to fire at the door with and do any kind of damage to. This can already take a bit of time, and you also have to compete with getting shot at by THEIR ballista and THEIR archers.

If this happens and both the attacker ballistae and the cata gets taken out, you’ll have 10 minutes of no seige weapons to take the door out. It’s not necessarily bad yet if you can get pushed to the top with the 2 stair fortresses, but destroying the wall would be a thing of the past at that point, increasing the damage on it and tryiing to hit with swords. If you try and take it down with melee weapons NOW… it already takes a LOT to bring that door down. With 10000 more health on the door, it would take a LOOOOOOONG time.

I think the more viable way would be to get to the top, so if that remains do-able enough for the attackers, that would be fine i guess as a plan B if taking the door out isn’t done. So, if increasing the damage is done, and the respawn time is done, i woudl suggest that maybe 10 minutes is a bit overkill. Would promote more seige warfare though, but that would be very short-lived as taking them out would become the primary goal, and then it would be a fight for the gate control in which the attackers would have a LONG run to get there, and defenders could just camp it out.

3-King Escape

I think the only issue here is the king never seems to make it out. It’s too easy for the attackers to keep him boxed in, and even the times i’ve seen where the king gets SUPER close, he gets taken out by the attack respawns pretty close to the boat at the top of the stairs.

It would be interesting to try this… make it so that the king has a CHOICE to escape OR survive in the castle. It would create much more of a challenge for the attackers to get in there (maybe too hard as big as the castle is… stoneshill on crack) but if they don’t have a good enough team to push out, maybe he can just hold up in the castle. Of course if this was the case, perhaps the objective time bonus after 2nd objective could be increased a tad.

• Please add strings for the events like “The line has been breached”, and the objectives in the UI “Capture A”, …

• @50ShadesofClay:

It would be interesting to try this… make it so that the king has a CHOICE to escape OR survive in the castle. It would create much more of a challenge for the attackers to get in there (maybe too hard as big as the castle is… stoneshill on crack) but if they don’t have a good enough team to push out, maybe he can just hold up in the castle. Of course if this was the case, perhaps the objective time bonus after 2nd objective could be increased a tad.

The issue here though, would be that the king would never decide to take the boat. I believe that the current objective should be preserved, except that the person that triggers the Masons to spawn back should be anybody, not just the king. This would allow the king to stay safe until he at least escapes the castle.

• @Skindiacus:

The issue here though, would be that the king would never decide to take the boat. I believe that the current objective should be preserved, except that the person that triggers the Masons to spawn back should be anybody, not just the king. This would allow the king to stay safe until he at least escapes the castle.

yah i thought about that too, could just adjust spawn times for defenders in that case though or try other things. It just seems like the king never makes it to the boat anyway. I’ve played 0 games where the king has made it out. In a perfect world where people could use voice togehter and actually gather up and all push at the same time fighting all the way to the boat, he could escape. In a pub, it never happens, at least not in any games i’ve been a part of. I’ve played coldfront plenty of times he’s never made it.

I’ve even seen him get SO close and get cata’d at the end, that was hillarious.

• I still think it would be cool to make the king a MAA with knight health so you could atleast attempt to run for your life from all those angry masons while your team runs around trying to make there k/d look pretty.

• “Increased Respawn time from 300 to 600 seconds on Siege Weapons.”
    This seems a bit harsh. Takes like 10 seconds to wreck the catapults before the masons take the capture points, and if they stay out for 10 minutes that’s most of stage 2 right there.

• @50ShadesofClay:

yah i thought about that too, could just adjust spawn times for defenders in that case though or try other things. It just seems like the king never makes it to the boat anyway. I’ve played 0 games where the king has made it out. In a perfect world where people could use voice togehter and actually gather up and all push at the same time fighting all the way to the boat, he could escape. In a pub, it never happens, at least not in any games i’ve been a part of. I’ve played coldfront plenty of times he’s never made it.

I’ve even seen him get SO close and get cata’d at the end, that was hillarious.

Happens quite often unless the king tries to camp, people need to start rushing.

• @dudeface:

“Increased Respawn time from 300 to 600 seconds on Siege Weapons.”
    This seems a bit harsh. Takes like 10 seconds to wreck the catapults before the masons take the capture points, and if they stay out for 10 minutes that’s most of stage 2 right there.

that’s what i said. 10 minutes is damn near the whole objective.

• @dudeface:

“Increased Respawn time from 300 to 600 seconds on Siege Weapons.”

I think what they need to do is make melee hits to the door do less damage, and reduce the timeout times on the ballistas/catapults. I always go around and break em all and they always manage to break the door down through melee anyways.

• @AmishInsurgent:

I think what they need to do is make melee hits to the door do less damage, and reduce the timeout times on the ballistas/catapults. I always go around and break em all and they always manage to break the door down through melee anyways.

really? the melee takes forever. I typically just cata the door lol, so much easier. I take out all the ballistas first witht he cata, then just bombard the door with huge rocks.