Low rank servers.

• There seems to be a lot of controversy about whether or not low rank servers are a good thing for the game, so post your opinions and do the poll.

• 1: Gives a false impression of the skill and depth that there is in the game. Making new players believe spamming LMB’s is the most effective strategy and effectively handicapping them once they reach level 16.

2: Because new players are not exposed to drags or feints, once they reach level 16 they are going to be extremely frustrated when they are beaten by moves they have not seen and possibly quit the game entirely.

3: Makes finding servers that are not low rank very difficult. Normally only 1-2 servers available to level 16+ players at peak times.

To people who say, “You guys just don’t like the low rank servers because you can’t stomp on poor noobs!”

We seriously don’t give a fuck about stomping pubs. We couldn’t care less. It’s not a fun or challenging experience. If we really wanted so desperately to stomp on new players, we would just make an alt account with the Family Sharing system and stomp noobs that way. Low rank servers have no benefit to the new players and can damage the game’s long-term health.

• I don’t mind low lvl servers, why not let casuals have some fun? Some people don’t enjoy the challenge.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

I don’t mind low lvl servers, why not let casuals have some fun? Some people don’t enjoy the challenge.

There’s no challenge on normal pubs either. Noxin listed some pretty good reasons imo.

• @gndo:

There’s no challenge on normal pubs either. Noxin listed some pretty good reasons imo.

Trying to play this game against people with hundreds of hours is a challenge itself. Let casual players have some fun for fifteen ranks and if they give up… that probably means they would give up even faster without low rank servers before uninstalling this game.

Do you guys really have issues with finding a normal server to play? It never takes more more than a minute.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Trying to play this game against people with hundreds of hours is a challenge itself. Let casual players have some fun for fifteen ranks and if they give up… that probably means they would give up even faster without low rank servers before uninstalling this game.

Not every player on a normal server is rank 40-50 though, plenty of lower ranks and their would be even more if there was less or indeed no low rank servers.

@rumpelstiltskin:

Do you guys really have issues with finding a normal server to play? It never takes more more than a minute.

Well, I couldn’t find a TO server the other day. They were all low rank servers, with a couple of normal 32/32 player servers, the rest were empty.

• I personally found them helpful and think they’re very important for new players. They allow them to achieve some success and get a feel for the game before being thrown to the wolves. Without them, a new player would likely become too frustrated and quit early.

The other day some level 0 guy found his way onto a regular server I was playing and couldn’t do anything. He was massacred over and over again. This is not the kind of first impression the game should be striving to achieve.

After leveling to 15 (which is honestly pretty fast), when the newer player gets beat by vets, he will think, “Well, I know I can kill guys and defend myself, I just have to learn these more advanced techniques.”

• @Hamletswords:

After leveling to 15 (which is honestly pretty fast), when the newer player gets beat by vets, he will think, “Well, I know I can kill guys and defend myself, I just have to learn these more advanced techniques.”

I think these guys have the right attitude and would manage to think the same thing without the low rank servers. Most players however get mad when they suddenly can’t LMB to victory anymore.

• @gndo:

I think these guys have the right attitude and would manage to think the same thing without the low rank servers. Most players however get mad when they suddenly can’t LMB to victory anymore.

I think it would be hard to think that if you’ve never killed anyone or successfully defended yourself.

You’re more likely to think that you just suck, your computer sucks, or the game sucks.

I’m not sure how long it’s been since you guys were new. I’ve been playing for a couple months. I definitely needed the starter servers just to get used to the basic mechanics.

Getting rid of them would not improve the game. All you’d do is add a bunch of fodder to the regular servers and more people will quit.

• There will be and are other lower ranks on the servers too, it’s not like your joining a server with 20 rank 40+.

• @gndo:

There will be and are other lower ranks on the servers too, it’s not like your joining a server with 20 rank 40+.

That’s true but odds are you’ll still be dominated consistently by higher ranks. The other lowbies will probably be dead before you get a chance to fight them.

• @Hamletswords:

That’s true but odds are you’ll still be dominated consistently by higher ranks. The other lowbies will probably be dead before you get a chance to fight them.

And the same thing will happen at rank 16 when they can’t get on the low rank servers anymore. At least without the low rank servers they will have had 15 ranks to learn against some better players.

I remember when I started the game there was no low rank servers, I could beat some players, and there were some that trashed me, but that just made me want to get as good as they were.

• @gndo:

And the same thing will happen at rank 16 when they can’t get on the low rank servers anymore. At least without the low rank servers they will have had 15 ranks to learn against some better players.

I remember when I started the game there was no low rank servers, I could beat some players, and there were some that trashed me, but that just made me want to get as good as they were.

Yeah the same thing will happen but at least they will have the experience knowing they can beat people of the same skill level.

I’m not sure why everyone’s so anxious to play against people that don’t even know how to parry.

If the issue is not having enough people on the regular servers, well that’s because people quit. More people will quit if all they know is getting trashed from day 1.

• Ruins East Coast, at least for me. Can hardly find games, at peak time there’s 1, SOMETIMES 2, at non-peak times there’s quite simply NO servers except low-ranks that have a ping under 100. The servers disgusts me and ruins the entire game. Its pretty damn obvious for god’s sake that the community IS WAY TOO SMALL FOR IT. I literally just STOPPED playing this game UNTIL these servers are removed. They prevent me from playing. Oh, unless I just BUY THE GAME AGAIN. Yeah, not going to fucking happen. Its pure idiocy that these servers exists.

• @rumpelstiltskin:

Do you guys really have issues with finding a normal server to play?

Absolutely. Finding either a TO, LTS or even CTF server below 24 players, below 80 ping, not a lowrank server and not currently playing Coldfront can be a serious chore from time to time. And that’s saying something considering the first 30-40 servers are all below 80 ping for me.

Sometimes I even see Monkey’s 50p servers playing Coldfront at it’s maximum capacity. It’s ridiculous how some people are willing to play that map. Broken beyond hotfix.

• Here we go, yet again.

Low rank servers are good, just not so many. Limit to 2-3 per region. There needs to be fewer, but having a few is definitely a good idea.

• so, the low rank servers i agree kind of just teach people bad habits. I have no problem with them existing, however i think it will bring more frustration in the end to new players expecting the lmb meta, then going into a real game and getting slaughtered and not knowing why or what the hell is going on.

could be a stupid idea, but what if they had some “intermediate” servers as well… say from like 15-35 or so? A few of the low rank servers could be converted to intermediate. Actually, instead of 15-35 you could just do 0-30 so that new players can jump right in with at least some 30s… OR wait until they get above 15 and decide whether they’re ready for intermediate.

just a thought…

• Low rank servers would be more okay if people would get forced to play the tutorial before they’re allowed to play the game

• Less lowrank servers, max 3 by region one ffa one TDM and one TO.

• Im ok with low rank servers. I just becomes a problem when all the low rank servers are populated and the regular servers are completely empty. That’s at least my experience.