Backstab bonus for archer daggers only?

• We all knew daggers weren’t great for MAA at all really when anything else you picked was instantly better.

But in an archers hand with the backstab bonus I found they were viable. Even though the archer had less armour and movement speed. That deadly first strike you got in then The fight. Also great against third person shoe sniffers as the overhead could deal backstab damage sometimes you could even get the chase bonus. Beta removed it.

So what about just having the backstab damage for just archers daggers. With all weapons is a little silly. Two shotting knights with the short sword and doing grand mace damage with the heavy javelin melee.

But what about just daggers? Yes or no? And why?

• @lemonater47:

We all knew daggers weren’t great for MAA at all really when anything else you picked was instantly better.

Its not good enough for MAA so you buff it for archers? Perfect logic
    Sorry but Backstab is allready removed in the Beta because people got annoied that it triggered while the archer was perfectly in front of them

• That’s becuase they were looking down getting overhead stabbed by daggers. Which is pretty much all third person players. Backstab bonus only seems to apply with the chase bonus. Which you get by looking at the back of their character model.

When they lowered the camera it made it a bit harder to backstab them from the front.

If you are a normal first person player this almost never happened.

If you want the bonus to apply to MAA as well I wouldn’t be against that.

• Definitely not for daggers, maybe for javelins. Maybe. It’s very easy to get around people’s backs with the dagger for the backstab bonus even when it’s not on your/their screen.

• Archers really shouldn’t have any kind of strong melee potential.

• Archers have enough power in melee with their footspeed alone…no need for a retarded inconsistent mechanic like backstab.

• But who would use daggers now? When you think about it removing the backstab bonus is a massive nerf for daggers. It’ll all be short swords, many sabres and the occasional cudgel. But you won’t see people using daggers except against new players. Making the weapons obsolete.

Who will use daggers?

Javelin melee is fine. With backstab the heavy javelin can kill a vanguard in 1 stab in the back of the head. Short spears aren’t great in melee but the other two are.

• @SOC:

Definitely not for daggers, maybe for javelins. Maybe. It’s very easy to get around people’s backs with the dagger for the backstab bonus even when it’s not on your/their screen.

God no. Current backstab bonus with javalins is ludicrous.

Get rid of the entire backstab thing. It’s rubbish. Daggers can continue to rot in a corner. Nobody cares about them.

• @lemonater47:

But who would use daggers now? When you think about it removing the backstab bonus is a massive nerf for daggers. It’ll all be short swords, many sabres and the occasional cudgel. But you won’t see people using daggers except against new players. Making the weapons obsolete.

Who will use daggers?

Javelin melee is fine. With backstab the heavy javelin can kill a vanguard in 1 stab in the back of the head. Short spears aren’t great in melee but the other two are.

Why would you want spammy gimmick weapons to be that popular anyway?

• Why does it have to be a complete removal? Lemon is right about everyone using shortsword and sabre (more reach, more damage, just as fast). Why cant they make the backstab bonus for daggers and nerf the percentage? I think it is 50% in live how about 25%? Still a huge nerf, makes daggers still viable for the people who like to sneak up on the unsuspecting?

• Nerf shortsword and saber to cudgel status. Don’t dare buff daggers.

• Daggers get a nerf. In both windup and damage. Large nerf if you ask me.

Cudgel isn’t bad. Used to be really good until they fixed 1H lookdowns and later changed up all the animations.

I fond the the sabre already at cudgel status. All the sabre has is its range. Its the best choice against MAA.

• Its about time all back stabbing rewards were gone tbh. Unlike other games eg tribes ascend were sentinels are respected
    in this game Archers are not. Due to the ease of use in this class and its backstab plus melee advantages let alone its
    scripted bow fovs. Imo its a step in the right direction moving all its back stabbing rewards. Perhaps they will look at other
    features in this class and start to remove them also.

• Archers have excellent ranged attacks, that is their special power. They don’t need backstab for anything.

Daggers are a niche weapon, at .3 windup the thrusting dagger was absolutely excellent for flinching players in team fights to let your buddies beat down on them.
    With .4 windup times, daggers are now trash and you should take the norse or something.

Daggers with 0.4 windup may need backstab bonus (MAA included), as I just said, 0.4 windup on daggers without backstab bonus makes them totally trash tier and useless, the current Live Warhammer would be better.

• @Toll:

Archers have excellent ranged attacks, that is their special power. They don’t need backstab for anything.

Daggers are a niche weapon, at .3 windup the thrusting dagger was absolutely excellent for flinching players in team fights to let your buddies beat down on them.
    With .4 windup times, daggers are now trash and you should take the norse or something.

Daggers with 0.4 windup may need backstab bonus (MAA included), as I just said, 0.4 windup on daggers without backstab bonus makes them totally trash tier and useless, the current Live Warhammer would be better.

Exactly what I was thinking. They are at 0.4 seconds now.

• @swagfox:

Archers have enough power in melee with their footspeed alone…no need for a retarded inconsistent mechanic like backstab.

Exactly. Completely agree.

• i like the direction this thread is going

• @lemonater47:

Who will use daggers?

People aren’t using daggers because of the backstab bonus, they use them because:
    18:08 - Edmundo: unreadable gamble noob weapon

@jrmftw:

Why does it have to be a complete removal? Lemon is right about everyone using shortsword and sabre (more reach, more damage, just as fast). Why cant they make the backstab bonus for daggers and nerf the percentage? I think it is 50% in live how about 25%? Still a huge nerf, makes daggers still viable for the people who like to sneak up on the unsuspecting?

You want more people to use daggers? I’d call you names right now but Knifelegs is watching.

• Well, if their windups is nerfed up to 0.4 seconds I really see no problem in letting them have backstab bonus, otherwise they’ll just be useless.

• @jrmftw:

Still a huge nerf, makes daggers still viable for the people who like to sneak up on the unsuspecting?

It’s more fun however to put a Heavy Crossbow bolt in the back of the head of the unsuspecting.