Contest Results

• So, I’m posting this up for people to discuss in a civil manner the results of the contest, and more importantly what we all actually learned out of this. I learned some new tricks doing 3D modeling, some newer tricks using the material editor for my fancy ocean shader. A lot of good things. My custom models didn’t come out as nicely as I wanted them too, but I’ve seen worse in AAA titles, so that’s something I can live with. Especially considering the amount of sleep I lost over a weeks time trying to get them made in time just for a playtest.

I think there is a lot of confusion about how some of the maps were picked and why amongst some of us and I’d like to dispel that confusion right now. There is criteria that every map was to be judged upon and for the most part I’d say the top five maps stick to that criteria pretty tightly, in both main and sub-categories. My only problem is if they were picked solely for their bot-functionality, over some of the other maps. There was no solid documentation on handling AI for this game inside kismet, and even for those who managed to get the bots working, still had troubles. It’s no secret that the AI in chivalry is just wonky and lacking strong structure code wise, outside of kismet instructions.

But that can’t be it since that is the case. So what was it? Polish? Forcing players to forward spawns as the map progressed? Whats the impression TB is giving out? So far this contest has been handled okay. Except the mistake here is that they didn’t provide any kind of solid explanations for each of the chosen top 5 as their choices. Maybe they felt they didn’t need justification. Just look at those maps!

Well we have, almost every single contestant has for the last two months. So yes, we need a little justification because we did spend hours and hours of our time to contribute to the contest. Okay, the criteria is there but that doesn’t mean anything to us without some context.

Now I know TB plans to provide feedback for all of the maps, and that I’m sure will shed some light on the matter for all of us. But that’s feedback that was needed during the contest, not after. Some of us just didn’t get enough or hardly any. And you guys, Torn Banner, are lucky to have a community that provides you directly with feedback. The rest of us are not so lucky.

I don’t want to contest the results, the decision was made and I’m perfectly accustomed to the reasoning behind such things, but some of the other map authors are not. So a little light here, I think much deserved for everyone who sunk some of their life into this, to get a comprehensive picture of it all.

• Well I was going to enter but decided to back out because the criteria required to much work for me to do by myself, especially regarding bots, literally have no documentation at all plus they suck balls.

I’m sure TBS is going to post feedback on all the threads for the maps that were judged, at least thats what they lead on that they were going to do.

• I agree with all of the map choices made. They all are fun, pretty much bug free. I’m sure TB had some serious issues choosing some of the top 5.

Everyone knew that they weren’t certain to win. They all best fir the criteria posted imo. It makes sense that they won.

don’t forget the 1k price pool for other entries! Still possible to get some stuff

• I really think Castle Assault won just because of its name, to try and build hype to get people to play the game.

• @SOC:

I really think Castle Assault won just because of its name, to try and build hype to get people to play the game.

hmm thats a good point

i think its because it looks pretty and graphics > gameplay

• Castle Assault is siiick.

It is a damn shame he lacked the time to make a throne interior for the final objective… adding deep contrast to the dark and mist within the village with a lovely warm torch-lit throne interior.

I can dream cant I? :D

Fairly happy with all the maps, very good maps indeed! Was just a damn shame it took so long! :D

• @zombojoe:

hmm thats a good point

Well, it does play a lot better now than, say, months ago. The baron/general/governor/Malric’s Lookalike can still escape to the giant town tho’ and that’s going to be pain in the buttocks for attackers.

• i really liked the seaside map as well, didn’t win anything but it was one of my favorites and a very fun map for me at least. Gorgeous too.

Any word on the peasant hats? i tested for long time man.

• I don’t see how this thread could go wrong.

Maybe AI pathing was apart of the criteria for the winners, but everyone was already aware of it. Argument of “Well it was hard to set up” doesn’t apply since it would seem some makers spent the time to figure it out. Although alot of people I’ve talked to don’t agree on the map order, many agree that most of the maps belong in the top 5. At the end of the day anyways though, it’s not “top 5 maps worked on” or “top 5 with playability”; it’s “Top 5 that TBS likes”. There is no such thing as fair and impartial in this type of contest, nor should it be expected.

• @zombojoe:

hmm thats a good point

I also think main focus was graphics and not gameplay. I mean look at belmez and all dem broken ladder mechanics, also map is an archerfest (no offense to the creators)

• Just wait for their feedback and we will know why this is good and this is bad. You had the same problem like me. We should have already joined for the 1st round to get some TB feedback. I have looked at all the critism about other maps to get a feeling what is nice gameplay, but i need far more time to finish my map.^^
    I understand TB: it is impossible to give feedback to 45 maps all the time. The plan was: create an alpha in round 1, get TB feedback, polish in round 2.
    In my opinion a fair plan.
    And they have listened to their community: We have 5 winners instead of 3 + the chance of X more winners. They are aware of the other nice maps in the pipeline that maybe need just some minor changes.

I have learned that it is possible to learn a powerful tool as UE3 and create something working within 2 months without any great leveldesign/ue knowlegde. Normally i am more the lazy guy who dont want to invest much time on complex stuff. :P

• @YarnuTheDog:

Castle Assault is siiick.

It is a damn shame he lacked the time to make a throne interior for the final objective… adding deep contrast to the dark and mist within the village with a lovely warm torch-lit throne interior.

I can dream cant I? :D

Fairly happy with all the maps, very good maps indeed! Was just a damn shame it took so long! :D

If the maker removed all the invisible walls and fixed the spawns it would be. Attacking on that map was horrible. When you look at it the map is coldfront without the snow which I think why it was picked.

Drunken bazaar is a grind fest on the second and third objectives also. You can get so far on the objective only for your progress to be wiped and you have to start all over again.

Irilla and On The Edge should of been up there instead. Those maps look pretty, there’s no grinding objectives and its constant action rather than constant dying, spawning and running achieving absolutely nothing towards your teams victory yet still the defenders have plenty of chance to half the attackers.