Next Time around, less weapons.

• With all the gimmicky useless weapons in chivalry, I’d rather Torn Banner add very few, but extremely in depth weapons with very diverse and distinctive play styles. In game I can name about 6 seless or gimmik weapons that could have very easily been removed and no one would care. Morning star, war axe, bardache, bearded axe, war hammer, flail, heavy flail, all 3 daggers (well, maybe not daggers, even if they’re shit everyone gets a kick out of them. Same with falchion lol. There’s also the weapons that are practically just clones of other weapons but with different damage types, and the list goes on and on >.>

• Morningstar is amazing. War axe is amazing. Flails are amazingly hilarious. Warhammer was good before handlehit patch. Bearded Axe was good before its nerf. There are an appropriate number of weapons I think, just not an appropriate amount of balancing diversity-wise.

• I love the morning star.

• I like having a bunch of weapons. A thing me and my clan mates do, is we join a Pub game, and choose a dumb weapon to see who can get more kills with it. The warhammer provided some of the funniest moments.

• The biggest change that killed most of the weapons you mentioned was the vanguard knockback/stamina drain addition plus the bubble. Those weapons were actually really good before then. Honestly, I still think vanguards need less knockback/stamina drain. Those weren’t the buffs vanguards needed and aren’t really fun for the vanguard or the enemy.

• Why remove things? It makes no sense.

• I disagree about the bearded axe being good before nerf. That overhead was too fast.

• bubble + knockback made all the short weapons poop, you miss your riposte with a lot of them even if you sprint forward towards them, super difficult to even get close to get a swing, otherwise you attack from your maximum range making all your attacks and feints really easy to parry

• I loved the bardiche when I played mainly Vanguard. The alternate overhead, oh ho ho.

• I agree, for chiv2 I’d like to have one weapon of each type. Will also be way easier to balance that shit

• No, no and no. More weapon variety is better. I can’t think of any weapon that is “practically just a clone” of another one. Perhaps you’d care to enlighten me on this? The bardiche, for instance, plays the role of the more slash-oriented polearm, while the 'berd is more for stabbing and the billhook is the faster, shorter and more versatile one. If you’re going to make bold statements please provide examples to back them up.

EDIT: Oh wait I just realized who wrote the OP, the same guy who said “it is an indisputable fact that map balance does not matter” , never mind about bold statements.

• @Ready:

No, no and no. More weapon variety is better. I can’t think of any weapon that is “practically just a clone” of another one. Perhaps you’d care to enlighten me on this? The bardiche, for instance, plays the role of the more slash-oriented polearm, while the 'berd is more for stabbing and the billhook is the faster, shorter and more versatile one. If you’re going to make bold statements please provide examples to back them up.

EDIT: Oh wait I just realized who wrote the OP, the same guy who said “it is an indisputable fact that map balance does not matter” , never mind about bold statements.

Well I think everyone in comp would agree baradache is pretty useless when compared to halberd or billhook. It’s not about weapon variety, it’s that most of the weapons that are “unique” tend to be sucky. Variety would be nice if torn banner could balance things easier, and have almost everything at a viable teir. Instead of just having this weapon counters that like most generic games any hoot. Why not have individual skills matter more than just what counter loadout you use? Personal opinions aside there are a few weapons that are all rounders that most people tend to shoot for. Even if they have their own role per say. Halberd totally out classes bardache, regardless of what you’re going up against. Greatsword totally out clases zwei no matter what you’re going up against. Holy water totally out classes morning star, broadsword falchion, etc. etc.

Omg, it’s almost like, other opinions can be right too.

Also, lol at pathetic attempt to devalue statement. I implicitly said that when you acknowledge the fact that in comp you play both sides of the obj, map balance does not matter. Because even if the map is catered to one side, it;s however can play it better, and faster. You don’t have to finish, you just have to get to a farther point in a faster time period. In pubs, well no one uses pubs for balance. If we did drags would be removed and feints wouldn’t be in the game.

EDIT: Sure the damage types can be way different, but the speed, damage, and animations can be practically the same. If by weapon variation you mean “But this one does cut damage!!!” then sure. Nothing is identical

• Dumb thread is dumb

• @Psyfon:

Dumb thread is dumb

^ seems like an nonconstructive post

• These sweeping, massively generalized “this weapon totally outclasses this one under all circumstances” statements fail to take into account the wide variety of circumstances that can occur in this game and the different ways the different weapons perform under different circumstances. For instance, some of the harder-hitting weapons you discard as being inferior may finish off an enemy is one hit rather than two, which could mean the difference between life or death for you.

• @Huggles:

^ seems like an nonconstructive post

taking out weapons for no reason is non constructive. just because you dont think the warhammer is good doesnt mean there arent people that enjoy using it. same for every other weapon you mentioned. dont like them, dont use them. they dont hurt the game by being there. and there are plenty of things that could be done to them to make them more viable.

• @Psyfon:

taking out weapons for no reason is non constructive. just because you dont think the warhammer is good doesnt mean there arent people that enjoy using it. same for every other weapon you mentioned. dont like them, dont use them. they dont hurt the game by being there. and there are plenty of things that could be done to them to make them more viable.

My argument is that the next time Torn banner release a game, instead of making many different gimmicky weapons and or useless weapons, make very few well thought out, multi purpose weapons. So that the game isn’t limited to what counters what, but rather the true ability of ones skill. Also, so scrims and duels are less counter based and more skill based. If we had very few, very good multi use weapons with endless moves and playstyles things would be much more fun. Rather than certain weapos, like the maul where it can really only be used as spin to win. Or how the holy water is only used for it’s insanely fast stab and high damage overheads. Not demanding them to be removed right nao, just saying having fewer multi purpose weapons is much more practical, and in the end more enjoyable. Making them viable would be a great idea, but doing that would just make them have to clone other weapons lol. Again, not arguing to remove altogether, just saying next time they make a game well thought out and planned playstyles rather than just many 1 trick ponies.

• @Ready:

These sweeping, massively generalized “this weapon totally outclasses this one under all circumstances” statements fail to take into account the wide variety of circumstances that can occur in this game and the different ways the different weapons perform under different circumstances. For instance, some of the harder-hitting weapons you discard as being inferior may finish off an enemy is one hit rather than two, which could mean the difference between life or death for you.

It’s rather generalized because it’s true. If I have a holy water, and you have a morning star. i could literally stab you every time you wind up and win. Plus the damage difference isn’t even that great. Baradache vs halberd, basicly same damage, halberd is faster, has more reach, and wayyy better animations/tracers. Generalizing is how you balance. You don’t think game balance by saying “well what if this very specfic scenario happens, this weapon would be awesome for that!”

• @Huggles:

If I have a holy water, and you have a morning star. i could literally stab you every time you wind up and win.

You could do this to any high rank player with 100% success and stop him from even hitting you once? If that is the case then you are probably the best player in the world and you’d be unstoppable with any weapon.

• @Ready:

You could do this to any high rank player with 100% success and stop him from even hitting you once? If that is the case then you are probably the best player in the world and you’d be unstoppable with any weapon.

An average play can beat an amazing player if he uses holy water and feint spams a knight with a warhammer is what I’m trying to suggest