New character custimization idea for the future.

• Have people be able to choose their own fighting style! Develop 10-15 animation sets for each weapon and allow people the ability tk choose what they feel would suit their own style. This would be the best possible way to keep the game fresh and live.

Expand with ideas.

Animations would be equipped in customization as a seperate option. They should be able to pick various animations according to each individual weapon.

Another cool thing already brought up multiple times by the community are weapon mods. To increase speed in exchange for damage or increase reach in exchange for speed. Also the ability to slightly augment animations. Or mix and match from different animations.

Maybe even armor mods as well. So vanguards can get a special chest piece to be more resistant towards pierce but less to cut. Cool unique stuff like that. Maybe even cool spectral effects like flaming swords, or lightning not doing any real elemental damage but just for show. Add extra spikes to swords?

Unlimited possibilities to make this game fresh and less repetitive.

• That wouldn’t take a lot of work for the devs and would of course easily be balanced.

• @lemonater47:

That wouldn’t take a lot of work for the devs and would of course easily be balanced.

If I said hitler was bad you would think of some ridiculous way to disagree with me. Lol

This is fresh new and cool, and why would new animations cause imbalance? Devs? Work? O I’m so sorry that it’s their job and all.

• @Huggles:

If I said hitler was bad you would think of some ridiculous way to disagree with me. Lol

This is fresh new and cool, and why would new animations cause imbalance? Devs? Work? O I’m so sorry that it’s their job and all.

If you were a nazi. Is hitler bad?

Anyway it would require a lot of work. They would have to hire 10 new animators or chain the one they have to his desk, point a gun to his head and whip him to work faster.

• @lemonater47:

If you were a nazi. Is hitler bad?

Anyway it would require a lot of work. They would have to hire 10 new animators or chain the one they have to his desk, point a gun to his head and whip him to work faster.

A lot of Nazis hated hitler actually. Thats why they tried to blow him up once and he constantly executed his top staff.maybe they can spend those 8 hours a day on something useful then eh?

• Yeah but not all of them are animators.

Having so many different animations isn’t great. As you have to get the timing right and for them to look good with the timing. Different animations could have advantages because of the tracers linked with the animations as some could be closer to the head or at a better angle and the like.

• @lemonater47:

Yeah but not all of them are animators.

Having so many different animations isn’t great. As you have to get the timing right and for them to look good with the timing. Different animations could have advantages because of the tracers linked with the animations as some could be closer to the head or at a better angle and the like.

Thus leading to different playstyles? O, cool didn’t know that was the point. As well as new challenges to face? Yup, included. Make the animations sync with tracers and make it look cool. That’s all there is to it.

• It’s a nightmare to design. I think everyone having these static animations is pretty important in a game like this where visual queues are everything.

• @SOC:

It’s a nightmare to design. I think everyone having these static animations is pretty important in a game like this where visual queues are everything.

Maybe they should get a better budget then :)

• @Huggles:

Maybe they should get a better budget then :)

Stop bashing TB lol. From a design point of view its just not a great idea and a waste of time and resources.

• I like the idea and it is entirely feasible, plus, animations aren’t really the hard part, as they are enjoyable. Their characters are already rigged, so it’s not really a problem to animate.

I would hazard a guess at saying the implementation is the hard part.

But since I’ve already got my own combat system documented for a game I was working on a while ago (that’s where the Colosseum model came from), it’s pretty simple. But i’m not going to go into detail here.

The idea reminds me of “Stances” in one of the Star Wars, Jedi games…I can’t remember the name of it, but I loved it!
    You had the quick, but not very defensive stance, you had the in betweener (the default/balanced) stance, and you had the heavy stance where you would deal lots of damage, take lots of hits, at the cost of slow movement.

As far as fighting Styles go themselves, I would like to see it. Each style would have different animations, and modifiers to combat. Thus mixing up the mechanics of the game, as each player you come up against would have a style that you aren’t able to predict at first until you see what kind of animations they are, then you adapt and learn to counter the style.

I do agree though, that this is a LOT of work to do it right. One could slap some new animations on, no modifiers or anything, and even that would take a while, it wouldn’t be hard, but it would be tedious to implement.

I like the idea though non the less, perhaps for TBS’s next game? lol

• They broke the graphics just re-doing the UI, now you want them to start fucking around with new animations? Good god the desyncs.

• @lemonater47:

Stop bashing TB lol. From a design point of view its just not a great idea and a waste of time and resources.

Well they did waste Time and resources redoing the entire UI no one really gave a fuck about. From a design point of view it’s a great idea. If they added the flail for kicks, pretty sure they could introduce new animations with a real competitive purpose. It would also be fun to mess around with in pubs. New animations would be tb e only way to spice up the gameplay again in all honesty. The only 2 plausible things holding it back is TBs programming competence, and a less manageable thing, their resources. Sure it’s a pain to make, and maybe they won’t do it right. But don’t give me this bullshit about it being bad for balance, and a waste of time and resources.