50 slot madness is no longer just in the UK.

• Yes we now have a 50 slot MW server in New South Wales Australia.

Games.on.net NSW #07 50 Slot Experiment. (The server name will change).

First day went well. Got 45 people. Pretty smooth and no one complained about Framerate. Coldfront and citadel have ping issues and citadel sometimes decided it doesn’t want people on the server so they will now be removed from the rotation. Sort your shit torn banner.

Tickrate was too high. I set it to 135Hz. I just guessed lol. While it was smooth when anything did go shonky it went really shonky and made it worse. Ping kick at 200 ping I may lower it. And due to endless complaining 3rd person is gonna be enabled ya Aussie scrubs.

Yeah the server also started to freak out a bit. While running at 30-90Hz CPU usage is maximum 5% while full. But at 135Hz It was hitting 15% usage while having 20 people on it. It may seem low but its a 24 core server and chivalry doesn’t use more than one core very well at all. These are battlefield servers not old game servers lol. Its at 2.93GHz.

Australia’s Internet lets face it is pretty shoddy so the high tickrate made everything smooth everyone as saying it didn’t really solve the lag when it did happen. It just lagged smoothly lol. You may know dirtyape he’s helping out with the technical side of things a tad. He works for an ISP.

But yeah tomorrow. 50 slots, No coldfront, no citadel, 3rd person for all and probably a better experience. Its why I called it the experiment so everyone knew it was a test. It ran better than I and anyone else for that matter expected.

• Good work :D The world needs more 50 slot servers*

My only advise is the ping kick; the bug still happens where Agatha can’t spawn - at the same time everyone’s pings go into the +200 regions, so if this happens you’ll end up with a massive amount of bans (have a look at the configs for number of times breached in a certain timeframe). Alternatives are 3rd party plugins to manage it (like B3) which have a bit more control e.g. temp bans

The servers like less cores but faster, so if you can OC or upgrade the 2.93 you might glean a bit better performance. Only other thing to note is crashes these happen more often on larger servers (actually not even crashes, more like mass DC’s on stoneshill etc.) - server stays up on the same level but everyone loses connection. Also happens due to a bug on citadel after the first objective.

Anyway good luck with the server :)

*Just not in the UK where they’d be direct competition to SneakyMonkeys :P

• Well I’ve removed the ping kick now I know its just gonna ban everyone. Coldfront and citadel are gone. They suffer from ping spikes for some odd reasons. Coldfront has high ping straight off the hat while citadel the ping goes high at the second objective as steadily gets worse. No idea why and it doesn’t always happen. Happens on any server.

I might try try begging for a different server with a higher clock speed. Or ask if I’m allowed to overclock. Games.on.net is a big service and I’m just a lowly unpaid admin. Many of its servers are hosted by the ISP its ties to called internode. Though some are rented from Gameservers.com which also uses internode in Australia. Not the chivalry ones though. But yeah GON is big and has its own servers. It would be nice to get ones with higher clock speeds. But there actually aren’t many. Everyone thought proper multithreading to be normal for games nowadays so they got all these servers with CPUS that have millions of cores. Future proofing for the future that didn’t actually happen.

But everyone enjoyed it. Stonshill king stage was the only place that got squishy. And everyone wanted arena FFA lol.

• that’s going to run like shit. even 32 man’s can drop frames… 50?! HA

• @50ShadesofClay:

that’s going to run like shit. even 32 man’s can drop frames… 50?! HA

Well it doesn’t.

no one complained about FPS and I had no issues.

• http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/576778929515305439/E77B8F88D24CC9C7BFBB754F71EE0649E81CE2BC/

And everyone got ping kicked. That spike wasn’t actually die to that server but all New South Wales servers spiked. Australia’s amazing Internet. 3rd time I’ve see that happen.

Only 2 people stayed in the servers ban list. Very strange. I removed both.

• Why even bother with ping limits on these kinds of servers?
    Anyway, enjoy. ^^

• @B4RK:

Why even bother with ping limits on these kinds of servers?
    Anyway, enjoy. ^^

Agreed with this guy. Its going to be a cluster Fk, so just let the LMB’s roll my friend. Hell I hate 32 player servers because they are too cluster Fky. Ping won’t stop that from happening. These maps are designed for much smaller numbers. hillside phase 1, will be a giant bag of CF.

• The higher tickrate. When shit goes sideways with a higher tickrate its made worse. And otherwise people will see the name “50 slot madness” and join from all over the world. The votekick screen will pretty much be there constantly.

• @lemonater47:

The higher tickrate. When shit goes sideways with a higher tickrate its made worse. And otherwise people will see the name “50 slot madness” and join from all over the world. The votekick screen will pretty much be there constantly.

Votekick is helpful to kick people whose connection cannot handle 50+ slots in chiv. A guy with 170 or higher will put strain on the server for everyone else as well.

Agreed on the tickrate though, tweak it wrong and it’ll simply backfire.

I wonder how well it’ll run on ~3Ghz CPU.

• I have gotta see some custom maps with 50 players hahahah. Kings Garden LMFAO! If you want a Cluster……well,…you might have trouble getting through any doorways hahaha.
    I want to see it but, I like that full on crazy combat!

Let me know when the server is going off Lemon and i’ll join :D

• Its actually up now with tons of people. According to the TCA, the thing we use to monitor servers.

I might try with custom maps. Thing is austrlian Internet. People have slow download speeds so custom maps can make people leave.

Kings garden lol. That’s a clusterfuck with 32 people. Good map though.