Ping Autokick Major Flaw.

• It perma bans people. It doesn’t session ban them. It bans them forever. It shouldn’t even session ban. It gives the session ban message to people. But they are really perma banned.

This is something that NEEDS to be hotfixed IMMEDIATELY. I have to do so much damn work now unbanning people from 20 servers. Including myself. Who knows how many hundreds of people have been banned because of the autokick.

• I’ve seen spiking people get kicked from my server, but AFAIK they aren’t perma’d.
    Does the ban not show up in config then? I’m a bit worried now.

• It doesn’t show up in the normal place. But apparently there’s another place where bans show up which I’m gonna check.

When I got banned off my own server I spiked. And wasn’t logged in lol. Someone decided to upload something. There’s a 40 second delay before it actually kicks someone and most temporary spikes are shorter than that. The long spikes are usually really long. I had my suspicions that it may of been the case but I couldn’t quite remember which server I got kicked off from. Then someone else posted the same issue and I’m pretty sure the autokick is the case. You are welcome to experiment. Join a games.on.net server remember what number it is when you join, get autokicked and come back to it in a few hours. Make sure its the same one. They are numbered 1 to 14. Well 13 and 14 are down at the moment. See if you are banned for more than that session. I’m banned off #04 an FFA server.

Though I don’t you live in SEA somewhere? I don’t know can’t recall if it was you who said that lol. But if you do you might actually have under 200 ping which is what the limit is lol. We get people from Cambodia with less than 200 ping sometimes. On eastern Australian servers.

But I’m sure this is the case. It may not ban 100% of the time though.

• Under [Engine.AccessControl]. According to monkey this is where these bans go. Now I just have to find which one of these is me to prove it. Then remove all of them.

Yep I’m there. Right smack bang at the bottom of the list. 47167842

• in the pc server udkgame, you might want to change:

iSecondsToKickForPingLimit=0

to something a bit less permanent :)

• Looking now its 120. I didn’t set it up the ping kick but apparently its been like that since we got a ping kick.

Still that’s only 120 seconds. Not 4 days.

• that’s why i didn’t enable a ping limit. When i did, a bunch of people got banned when i thought it would only kick them. So does setting that variable make it kick rather than ban?

I’d like to have a ping limit but i don’t want to ban people for it, just kick.

• Not sure where the permaban is coming from. My server has the ping limiter enabled and I set it to kick for only 5 minutes (iSecondsToKickForPingLimit). After a while, those banned are not showing up on the banned player list (adminunban command).

What I seriously don’t know is what this ping related parameter does or how to set it up
    iPingThresholdHitBeforeKick

Sometimes players get lag spikes and they are banned for no reason, so that field should allow them to stay for X seconds/ticks.
    But I’m not sure if that number is counted in ticks (and the server’s tickrate value plays a part), seconds or what. I have tried several variations and most players are kicked almost instantaneously.

• @50ShadesofClay:

that’s why i didn’t enable a ping limit. When i did, a bunch of people got banned when i thought it would only kick them. So does setting that variable make it kick rather than ban?

I’d like to have a ping limit but i don’t want to ban people for it, just kick.

It never used to ban at all. It used to just kick and that player could rejoin immediately.

• Mine looks like this:
    fMaxPing=250.000000
    iPingThresholdHitBeforeKick=2000
    iSecondsToKickForPingLimit=60

I see 1 new guy in my ban section. Maybe it only clears them out after a reboot or something.
    (edit: it doesn’t, but many people have been autokicked in the past 24 hours. not sure why this one is lingering here)

• @dudeface:

does that value = 2000 ticks? 2000 seconds? 2000/tickrate?
    may I ask after how much time approx. players are kicked when their ping goes over 250?

• @dudeface:

Mine looks like this:
    fMaxPing=250.000000
    iSecondsToKickForPingLimit=60

I see 1 new guy in my ban section. Maybe it only clears them out after a reboot or something.
    (edit: it doesn’t, but many people have been autokicked in the past 24 hours. not sure why this one is lingering here)

Yeah I’m doing some testing and it seems completely random. Only 1 person got banned for more than the session and is now banned for every. But it was his 4th time having a go. And 3 others tried and didn’t get banned forever. Very strange.

• I’ll wait and see if that one disappears from my ban section. Multiple people get kicked every day, and when I checked yesterday there were no temp bans outstaying their welcome.