Archer damage not nerfed

• what’s up with that

• I’d rather have flinching with a damage nerf, instead of no flinching and no damage nerf.
    That way archer is actually a support unit.

• If you nerfed archer damage then archers would no longer shoot at each other at all and only shoot into melee. Or they will pick more damaging bows to use.

TB aren’t stupid.

• Only thing this patch nerfed was their backstab and the faster archer primaries like shortbow and sling. They will still 1 shot you or leave you crippled half way across the map like they did before with the warbow or xbow etc., but at least you won’t have a kill denied any more or have your parry spoiled by flinch.

In the end, it’s better than nothing. Plus TB didn’t touch any weapon damage this patch, which makes me think they’re going to be taking baby steps and continuing to do small tweaks so they don’t over nerf anything which I think is a good thing.

• @lemonater47:

If you nerfed archer damage then archers would no longer shoot at each other at all and only shoot into melee. Or they will pick more damaging bows to use.

TB aren’t stupid.

How about raise projectile resistance to all classes but archers?

• @lemonater47:

If you nerfed archer damage then archers would no longer shoot at each other at all and only shoot into melee. Or they will pick more damaging bows to use. TB aren’t stupid.

they already don’t shoot eachother very much unless warbow or heavy xbow are involved, and why would they when the other classes are much closer, move more predictably and die just as fast

I suggested a long time ago to make archers very suspectible to projectiles, but in the end having the only counter to a class be the same class is not balance either
    you could argue for a speed nerf or armor reduction but what matters the most is the damage they can do from a safe distance, so although I gladly accept this patch it kinda feels like TB missed the point

• 50% damage nerf when pls torn banner

• The whole reason Archers feel OP I think is due to the projectiles all feeling unnatural and fast. It’s like projectiles are these predictable quick arcs instead of actual moving objects with physical weight behind them. If there was some weapon sway when you moved your mouse and random inaccuracy while moving it might help. Archers would need to slow right down or crouch to be accurate, projectiles could be slower and have some knockback and punch to them, and we can hopefully erase this weightless fps-style projectile system that exists. Don’t know if I’m making sense or not.

• No it’s because archer is the only real hard counter to other archers.

Oh you’re not playing archer? You wanted to play melee? Too bad so sad, get arch’d kid.

• i still get one shot by archers, not happy at all…50% damage nerf and only headshots should make you flinch, sling is useful again, everyone happy.

• Yeah they’re still just as OP, really. They need to deal less damage except to other archers.

• i wouldn’t nerf damage too much. Really only 2 bow/cross need damage nerf, and i think we know which ones they are.

• Archer don’t need domage nerf, archer are fine now.

• @SOC:

Yeah they’re still just as OP, really. They need to deal less damage except to other archers.

That would really mess up the balance and we don’t know what would actually happen to the archer class. Why play archer if you can only kill other archers. Then there would be no archers.

• Agreed, reducing projectile damage to non-ranged classes should be a priority. Personally I only play archer when theres archers on the enemy team to feed off, being the solo archer against a team full of melee is boring as fuck already. Increasing the HtK on melee classes will add a bit more challenge at the least.

• According to history, the only armor available that could stop arrows was 15th Century Plates.

Even Chain/Scale Mail was practically useless against even the every-day Longbows.

Knights were the counter to Archers in the 15th Century.

I say it should be the same in Chivalry.

#BuffKnightArrowResistance2014

• @randomlvl40+:

Even Chain/Scale Mail was practically useless against even the every-day Longbows.

Against bodkin arrows yes, I havn’t seen how broadheads work against it, but probably not as well.

• @Xylvion:

Against bodkin arrows yes, I havn’t seen how broadheads work against it, but probably not as well.

it would probably still bruise a lot

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_h4cF8iTE

Not 100% accurate obviously, but I think the point is clear.

Specialized arrows and bows were the only thing that could reliably get past the plat armor.

• @randomlvl40+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3997HZuWjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3_h4cF8iTE

Not 100% accurate obviously, but I think the point is clear.

Specialized arrows and bows were the only thing that could reliably get past the plat armor.

The bodkin arrow was the only thing that could reliably get through plate armour.

In that first video if you watch the whole documentary he’s using Milanese tempered steel plate armour. Used in battle in 1424 at the battle of Verneuil by 2000 Italian mercenary lancers under French command. This kind of armour was a new invention and Milanese armour had always been some if the best in the world. The English longbowmen had stopped every single French cavalry charge for almost 100 years as the French used munition quality plate armour. Arrows go right through that. The English force numbered around 8000 while the French force numbered around 14,000 with almost half being Scottish and many being Italian. These Italian knights were pretty much arrow proof. First hand accounts say that barely any Italian knights fell and by the time they clashed into the English archers they had so many arrows sticking out if their armour they looked like dead men riding. Where in reality they were barely injured. Problem was they went right through the archers, straight through the English lines and out the other side. Where they all decided to sack the English baggage train. The English force was scattered which lead many to believe the battle was won. But while the charge had broken the lines it hadn’t actually killed all that many. The English reformed and went straight towards the French forces archers and all. English longbowmen were some of the strongest men in England and were equipped with axes and falchion’s that could do damage to plate armour. First hand accounts even said those lightly armed picked up shields and weapons of the fallen. Which probably meant the archers. The English force of 8000 men killed almost 8000 French, 4000 of them being Scottish they obliterated the Scottish army in France. The rest of the men fled. The Italian lancers got back expecting to be praised and payed only to find that everyone that could pay them was dead.

That second video doesn’t seem to be using bodkins arrows. They only have a few there and they aren’t proper bodkins those ones would have the arrowhead snap off easily. Its also using a bow like the shortbow in game. That layered plate armour at the end is actually very similar to what the agathian knight has. He doesn’t have a breastplate but chainmail over a coat of plates.

Broadhead arrows could get through mail alright. Though at a close range and it had to be at a complete 90 degree angle. Bodkins went right through it. The best arrows against mail were arrows with a long pointed arrowhead. But those arrows weren’t as good as broadheads for lighter targets and pretty damn useless against plate. Even a broadhead would do more against plate than one of those in the way of blunt trauma.