Flail Buff

• Buff the windup of light and heavy Flail.
    0.475 for swing and overhead on the light and 0.525 for the heavy flail.
    And fix the buggy annimation passing through the people when i overhead or swing, plz TB.

• @Kingzer:

And fix the buggy annimation passing through the people when i overhead or swing, plz TB.

This really does keep happening all too often in facehug range. Definitely needs looking at.

As for a flail changes, we need consistent tracers back. They’re still drawing with random deviations on multiplayer servers.
    Works normally on singleplayer. I have an old bug report up about that as well.

• Flails need more reach.

• I don’'t think the flail need more range but i’m sure they need a faster windup.

• @Kingzer:

That’s all that needs doing.

• @Xylvion:

That’s all that needs doing.

Not really, they need a litlle buff in the windup 'cause longword are faster and longer.

• Yeah they need some wind up buffs and tracer polish, plus the heater shield still needs some polish for blocking too.

• Yes, yes and YES please torn banner buff flail, make a real primary weapons for knight shield !

• It seems the raise/lower time for kite/tower shield with flails is just as fast as the heater so there’s no real reason not to use them. I think they also absorb less stamina and stab just as fast.

• besides maybe more reach less wind up and defenitaly more speed flails just need consistent tracers! to many times do many hits pass right through some one then I get punished for it the ball n chain thing is neat but practicality

• Flails windup is fine, release is fine.

Combo should be much faster. It’s a flail, make combo really quick and recovery extra long. That would make them fun to use. A mad knight ‘flailing’ around with a flail would be really dangerous. Once they lose their combo and go into recovery, that is the time to get them…

That’s how it should be.

• Light flail is OK, low damage but OK.

Heav flail is ridiculous. Slower windup than 2H swords with about the same power as Warhammer and flanged mace, both of which are superior weapons that outperform flails in almost every meta.

The flails need to have consistent damage paths and tracers to be viable.

The only perk the flails have is that they are so unorthodox compared to the rest of the arsenal. There is SOMETHING to them in their current state, but you just can’t pull consistency out of them, and in fact, it’s the inconsistency and on the fly physics that give them a hint of validity.

There’s a specific scenario I remember when I was up against 3 opponents, decent opponents, and everything I was doing just came together for the win. The arcs and slight manipulation of the flail swings, my footwork and blocks, the combos I was throwing… it looked like a scene out of a film because everything happened so beautifully. I remember the last overhead was an alt that I turned into a semi-swing with a 140 degree back spin that perfectly flew into my last opponents head just after his mis-timed parry completed. In the above scenario, it almost felt like the flail was OP. It’s totally not haha, but it felt that way after seeing what COULD be accomplished.

If someone knew the exact movements to make and every possible permutation of the flail animation based off that movement, then it could be a strong weapon. But no one does. We’re just human, and even the slightest movement with the mouse in any direction can affect the arc of the swing.

Couple that with wiggly opponents, and it becomes really frustrating.

• I hate fighting flails, they are so fucking random at times. Overheads look like slashes and slashes look like overheads. Sometimes they’re fast and sometimes they are slow and sometimes I don’t even know what’s going on.

I can deal with most of the stuff in this game but when some guy ambushes me with a flail, I drop all my spaghetti and lose my shit. Thank god they have less range than my willy and are fairly sluggish.

Heaven help us if they are ever allowed to 1h and riposte.

• Also, a bump in any of the three metas would help the flails

-reach
    -damage
    -speed

in my opinion, outside of the inconsistent tracers, the flails are fine where they are but just need slight adjustments to accentuate their roles.

-Heavy flail needs more damage, to the point where an overhead or slash to the torso or head would put your opponent 1-2 shield stabs away from death. It would become a great single strike meta weapon with respectable power.

-Light flail needs a teeny weeny bit more reach, just a pube hair past the Morning Star. Historically, lighter flails had more length in the chain anyway. This would give the light flail a bit more flexibility and make it a comparable choice over the Knight secondaries and MAA primaries, both of which I would rather have in my hands, given the current flails.

• flails are just fun, i think they could probably use a bit of a range buff to help them out, they might be viable with a bit more range, currently it feels like they have the range of maybe a warhammer, maybe even less. I found out tonight though that the warhammer isn’t actually all that bad, just use without shield and it 2 shots everything.

• @H:

Also, a bump in any of the three metas would help the flails

-reach
    -damage
    -speed

in my opinion, outside of the inconsistent tracers, the flails are fine where they are but just need slight adjustments to accentuate their roles.

-Heavy flail needs more damage, to the point where an overhead or slash to the torso or head would put your opponent 1-2 shield stabs away from death. It would become a great single strike meta weapon with respectable power.

-Light flail needs a teeny weeny bit more reach, just a pube hair past the Morning Star. Historically, lighter flails had more length in the chain anyway. This would give the light flail a bit more flexibility and make it a comparable choice over the Knight secondaries and MAA primaries, both of which I would rather have in my hands, given the current flails.

I think the heavy flail deal good domage, don’t need to 2 shoot everytime but they need to be more faster, faster windup cause u get hittrade again every 0.4 weapons when you counter.
    It’s the same with the light flail, you get trade at every attack against 0.4 weapons.

With longsword 1h, the windup is 0.45 and 0.5 for powerfullstab animation, it’s a really good and if you play good you don’t get hittrade when you block and counter.

0.475 windup for the light flail and 0.525 windup for the heavy sound good for me.
    It’s primary weapons, why morning star and broad are more viable ?

• There’s a specific scenario I remember when I was up against 3 opponents, decent opponents, and everything I was doing just came together for the win. The arcs and slight manipulation of the flail swings, my footwork and blocks, the combos I was throwing… it looked like a scene out of a film because everything happened so beautifully. I remember the last overhead was an alt that I turned into a semi-swing with a 140 degree back spin that perfectly flew into my last opponents head just after his mis-timed parry completed. In the above scenario, it almost felt like the flail was OP. It’s totally not haha, but it felt that way after seeing what COULD be accomplished.

If someone knew the exact movements to make and every possible permutation of the flail animation based off that movement, then it could be a strong weapon. But no one does. We’re just human, and even the slightest movement with the mouse in any direction can affect the arc of the swing.

What you describe in the first paragraph is what is scientifically known as being in a ‘State of Flow’. To summarize it succinctly; Flow is being in a state where everything just ‘clicks’.

You look at nothing, yet see everything.
    You effortlessly perform complex tasks with extreme accuracy.
    Simply performing the task is its own reward.
    It is a very joyful state to be in.

In that state, you don’t need to know all permutations of the flail, you will work with whatever is given to you without judgement and without expectations, what is, is.
    Of course, being in that state with Chivalry works with any weapon. The best fights are when two people are fighting in a state of flow. It is also a beautiful game when 2 people are flowing and on the same team and accomplishing some awesome shit.

It seems to me, that a little bit of randomness can enhance a persons ability to use flow to their own advantage. Hence why sometimes the flail can be super OP, it’s like what is random to everyone else is totally determined by you. How can you beat that?

• maa norse stab

lol I just got lucky, and the flail got lucky with me for a moment. With other weapons, you can consistently pull out this “state of flow”, with flail, you get lucky or unlucky. The weapon still has poop stats after all. Every other blunt weapon is a better choice, other than Cudge I guess.

Nevertheless, the gods did part the heavens and spray mana down unto my flail. And it was glorious.

Flail gods will decide your fate. Play with the flail for adventure!

• Mod

The most frustrating part for flail is when you’re about to finish off some scrubby brandistock hero and your final swing completely ghosts through them and they poke you and you die. Fix the tracers for sure. A slight decrease in windup times would be awesome as well.

• they just activated temporal warp field brah. swings don’t ghost in this game

i do like whipping brandis to pieces though, gr8sword clanjacks too